Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI L1 - Castleford starting Mon 2/9

Poster: A snowHead
I've decided to take the plunge and go for my L1 and signed up to do it at Castleford starting on Monday. Wondered if any others snowHead's are also going to be there?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
See http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101823#2335949

Good luck! After a long break from instructing I'm doing the L1 in Glasgow in November. Thought it best to start from scratch!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks evski, its a bit odd; that post appeared just as I posted this one. Good luck in November.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, hope it goes well for you.

p.s. I think the other post shot to the top of the forum as I originally posted my answer to you there by accident, then deleted it almost immediately.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good luck to you abd- I was just enquiring this morning about doing it in October. Would love to hear how you get on. please send report!! Hope it goes well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
good luck Andy, say hello to Lee from me Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
good luck Andy, say hello to Lee from me Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks lynnecha I'll come back on here with a report.
Thanks Greg - does Lee do all of the Castleford sessions?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abd he's done the past 3 years!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Look forward to hearing about it. Best of luck for a good pass!

I may go for an assessment lesson to see if they think I am at an acceptable standard. Does Lee work at Castleford?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abd, Good luck.

Don't mention Liverpool 1 Man U 0 to Lee though wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lynnecha wrote:
. Does Lee work at Castleford?

No he doesn't.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lynnecha, they've started instructor development sessions every other Tuesday (next one's tomorrow) starting 1830 if that works for you. Very mixed ability group from the session I did a couple of weeks ago.

kitenski, you were right!

steward woodward, thanks, I haven't and won't!

Now need to get back to my lesson plan for tomorrow!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abd, how did you find it?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, good thanks - some interesting drills that I've not done before and definitely felt some improvement. Really enjoyed it, as well as the 30mins cheeky practice on almost deserted slope after we'd finished. Will do a full report after the week.
latest report
abd wrote:
kitenski Will do a full report after the week.

Looking forward to this, hope it goes well
Nice one wink
snow report
Thanks abd, wlll check it out. Hope it goes well tomorrow.
snow report
Well done Andy Very Happy
Tough week but we got there in the end, must have been the marathon session we put in yesterday. Good skiing with you, will catch up with you at Xscape soon.

Nige
snow report
Quick update - I passed Laughing Puzzled Laughing as did Nige (braeworth). Will write up a fuller report and post on here. Feeling stoked (think thats the correct terminology Puzzled ) but somewhat drained right now. An absolutely brilliant week - very full on, stressful and psychologically challenging.

Nige, last night's "just one more run" (x10) and spending almost every waking moment after 5pm Monday practising my "goal keeping stance" in front of the mirror when available definitely helped!
snow conditions
abd, Well Done Razz
Look forward to a good read, when your well earned serotonin dissipates a bit of course wink
braeworth, Likewise. Bravo Razz
snow report
Yes Andy. Dread to think how many runs we did in total on Thursday, but it was all good fun and worth it in the end Very Happy

franzClammer . Thanks a lot
snow conditions
Well done to both! A great achievement. Really pleased for you.
ski holidays
abd wrote:
Will write up a fuller report and post on here.!

ahem Wink

Congrats on passing!
latest report
ok kitenski ok, here goes:

My objective for signing up for my Level 1 was to help me on my journey to my objective of becoming an expert skier and see the BASI pathway as a very cost-effective means of obtaining professional training, whilst at the same time intrigue in exploring the teaching. I've always liked refining good technique and helping others to do likewise. I've learnt a whole variety of sports and to give an idea, when I needed to learn proper paddling skills for the kayaking legs of long adventure races I arranged some intensive 1:1 coaching from Ivan Lawler who is 6 times former Marathon kayak World Champion. I've then been able to and enjoyed passing on skills I learnt from Ivan to friends and team mates.

Before I dive in, it might be helpful and relevant to give some further background: I started skiing less than a year ago between Xmas and New Year 2012 at a "ski in a day" course at Castleford. As somebody said the other day, I'm either full on or f*** all! and whilst I've only had 2 weeks in the Alps, I've been regularly doing race training in the gates at Xscape along with loads of other reading etc. I’m also really quite fit: I run, mountain bike, kayak, climb, orienteer, adventure race. To give an idea, in May I did a 70 mile non-stop run in the Lake District climbing 42 peaks (all the big ones) which totalled 28,000’ vertical in 26 and a bit hours.

Monday
On waking Monday morning I realised that I was quite nervous. Although my objective was to help me become a better skier I also dearly wanted to be good enough to pass, yet wasn’t certain that I was.

I'd determined to get there early not knowing what the traffic would be like given the return of schools. First thing - found out that the doors don't open until 1000 during the summer! We then all start to gather at about 1015 up in the bar area at Castleford. It was a bit weird looking out for other people who were on their own, looking vaguely lost and some awkward introductions and conversations followed.

Our trainer turned up and ushered us into a meeting room and got us all to introduce ourselves by stating: name, why on the course, how long skiing and most embarrassing moment on skis. When it came to me I'd decided to divulge precisely when I started skiing so simply said I was a late and recent starter to skiing and told my story of (what was actually my first ever week of skiing) being taken to the top of the red run next to the Pleney lift in Morzine on about the 3rd day which was also hardpack, and my instructor telling me to undo my boots and ski down. I put ¾ of a turn in, fell and slipped all the way down on my back and bum.

There was a good mix of ages. 5 <25s, 5 40+, 8 men, 2 ladies. One chap skied for Scotland and raced off about 80 FIS points.

We were all provided with a course book, a copy of the Alpine manual etc, then did an exercise on the "Fundamental Elements" in pairs:

Inputs - Steering Elements (Rotation, Edge & Pressure), & Body Management (Stance, Balance and Movement)
Outputs - Control of Line & Control of Speed

We got out on the slope by about 11 and did a number of exercises after warming up, eg turns in just our boots, side slipping, tail lifts through the entire turn. We started working as a group eg being given an instruction to ski with medium radius parallel turns and the person behind follow and watch whether the skis were parallel all the way down. Working in pairs and working solo. We talked about and practiced rotation skills, resulting in skidding & thus speed control, edging and pressure. Finishing off turns to control speed.

Off the slope about 4.30 (after a short break for lunch) and into the classroom. Some more work with the exercise books in small groups, with each group presenting different bits of material back to the group. This time more detail on means of controlling speed and means of controlling line.

Homework for the evening was to read a section of the book and to plan a short minute lesson to deliver to the group to help with a particular aspect of performance. I was looking at edging and chose one leg J turns to help with balancing on the outside ski.

Tuesday
Started with another classroom session on core subjects (think this one was Central Theme), then onto the slope for 1000. One of the guys was asked to do a warm up for the group instead of his planned demo which he did well. Then throughout the day a further 6 of us got to do our little lesson. We needed to describe what we were doing and a quick KISS explanation of why (not loads of technical stuff) then provide an effective demonstration for the visual learner. We had windscreen wipers (side slips with rotation up and down), traverse with sideslips, J turns. For many of these the trainer then developed them further, so the traverse with sideslip turned into 3 sideslips in the traverse then turn. The windscreen wipers turned into sideslip at pole 1 and hockey stop at pole 2, then this evolved into the creation of a narrow corridor for us to do short turns in which then got videoed.

We also had a chunk of time on the nursery slope doing early Central Theme (Introductory Activities, Slipping, Plough, Plough turns, Mountain skills, Plough parallel, parallel). This also became videoed. One of the group had to do an impromptu lesson on using the rope tow instead of what she’d planned.

We then went back into the classroom and had the group video analysis. Nearly all of us needed to make changes to our posture. The most common fault seemed to be too little flex at the hip and hands. For some there was also not enough ankle flex. A number of us were therefore skiing in the back seat and this was evident in both plough parallels and short radius turns. A bit of a wake up and some rapid changes required.

More homework – reading this time part of the manual on “Client Care”.

From this point onwards I spent almost every non skiing time getting myself into my “goal keeper” stance and where possible checking in the mirror. I even got to doing this in the middle of the night when I got up to go to the loo! I also used almost every run up the button lift to spend it in an effective posture rather than relaxing – it worked!

I realised that as well as the posture, I needed to work on rotational skills to improve my short turns. Lots of work to do!
snow report
Wednesday
Started with a bit more in the classroom, then out on the slope for opening at 1000. Again had a candidate do a warm up, but we were 6-9 year olds! Quite a lot of time on large radius turns, edging etc. I was told to stop skiing like a “demented bendy skiing banana”!

Then the one remaining chap who hadn’t done a group presentation did his drill: boots undone. His version was just top 2 buckles. A run of that, then the trainer had us undo everything – all buckles and power straps. Blimey that was hard! Then onto the nursery slope, boots back up doing one leg J turns, then one leg 90 degree pivots (both directions with both legs) – that also was hard. I stayed practicing that for a while.

Classroom was prep for Thursday’s teach assessment. We were all given a different segment of the Central Theme and either adults or 6-9 year olds. I was allocated Plough Turns for the children. We spent some time doing a lesson plan in partnership with the person doing the other age group.

I had lots to think about for “age appropriate material” and used the journey home to consider. Having 4 boys from 10 to 17, I could think of a number of props to borrow.

My wife thought it hilarious that I was doing this teaching. She was an English and Drama teacher before becoming a full time Mum.

Thursday
Quite a disturbed nights sleep thinking about the teaching assessment. I had my lesson plan and it was after all only for 10 minutes, but I wanted to make it really good. I’d had loads of good ideas and wanted to make sure I’d got them organised and didn’t forget key stuff.

We had 30 mins in the classroom discussing any further ideas / thoughts with the colleague doing the same segment of the Central Theme and then out onto the slope.

We were split into 2 groups: one practiced on the main slope whilst the other were the teacher or the students with one observing. The groups were interwoven so that we alternated children, adults, children etc and I was in the group that was first up; well better to get it over with.

The first chap delivered an excellent “Introductory Activities” session for adults; its just that his brief was 6-9 year olds! Still good stuff and well done.

I was then the observer of an adults plough lesson and before I knew it I was on. I had a bag full of props and launched myself introducing myself in a mid-west accent as “Andy, I’m the sheriff of this here hill and today we’re going to be playing cowboys and Indians” and with that pulled from my bag my cowboy hat. I’d got a cuddly elephant as my marker on the slope (didn’t get round to delivering my joke why we had an elephant when we were playing cowboys and Indians; perhaps you lot might like to make a suggestion) and handed out coloured feathers that just happened to be lying around at home as rewards for doing a good “arrow” turn. Each of the “boys and girls” got to wear the cowboy hat and then I had a message that the Indians had enough left arrows and now needed some right arrows. Getting ready to do a demo and a fall over; I’d not put my boots into ski mode – duh! But laughed it off and shouted “man down”! I then started to have some curve balls thrown at me: at the trainers prompting, one of them said “Sherriff Andy my legs are getting tired” so I got him to ski down next to me, put the cowboy hat on him, gave him an extra feather – suddenly his energy seemed to miraculously return. Then I had one of the girls being desperate for the loo; I’d already contemplated this eventuality and knew I had to effectively take the whole class to the toilets if it couldn’t be contained. So I tried to gather the group together to take them off the slope and then it was over.

Got great feedback: L2 quality. Was a bit annoyed. I’d planned to get them to do indian war cries or “yahoos” (depending on whether they wanted to be a cowboy/girl or an indian) but I forgot to mention it.

It went really quickly and I was roasting hot at the end of it.

Then we got to have our practice session whilst the other 5 did their lesson; concentrated on large radius and a bit of shorts.

Once the other group had finished, lunch and then back onto slope to have some coaching on and then video of carved large radius turns.

At of the afternoon, into the classroom for video analysis. A few shocks – I still wasn’t standing properly on my outside ski, so whilst I was carving with lots of speed, the video showed quite clearly that my outside ski was tracking off more steeply down the fall line than the inside one – this needed to change and fast!

Like every other day I went back out onto the slope after the class room session had finished. I wanted to get the extra practice and cement some of the changes that needed to happen. It was just me the first night and over the week the numbers gradually increased, so by Thursday night we had 6 of us, all coaching and helping each other. The adopted phrase for this session was “this is my last” whilst at the top and “just one more run” once at the bottom. Think it was 1930 by the time we’d all decided to call it a day! This session helped us all massively.

Friday – Assessment Day
No classroom activity today, it was meeting on the slope at opening 1000 sharp. We were all out early and managed to spend some time on the nursery slope practicing plough turns. One of the girls on the course had a sight impediment and had brought along some special goggles that enabled normally sighted people to understand how much (or how little) she was able to see. It was incredible! The trainer had us each have a go on the slope with these on and one of us who shall remain nameless (but is a snowHead) fell over on the nursery slope doing plough turns whilst wearing these goggles! All credit to her for doing the course!

Then on to main slope to half way for plough parallels. A client of mine comes to the centre every Friday for some coaching and it was quite difficult keeping my “race face” whilst also having conversations with him on the lift. I was really struggling psychologically at this point as we’d done some parallels and the feedback I was getting was that 12 out of 14 turns were fine, however the other 2 there was a bit of a stem. I was really cross with myself as I’d thought I had sorted this out and then before I knew it we were onto short radius turns. So was left thinking that I’d not met the criteria and had therefore failed the course. From this point onwards I really struggled to manage my head.

Short radius - We discuss that this is “WOW” skiing, we all have a run and then pick someone whose style in short radius turns we like, pair up and follow in synchronised fashion. I’d chosen a girl that did nice rhythmical skidded SR turns, whilst mine were generally much more “edgey”. We had to follow right behind our partner and turn when they turned. We each get some feedback and then its into a videoed run. At the end of one run I’m told right “that’s at the standard”, now go and carve and make sure you stand on that outside ski. I asked about the parallels and was categorically told to do Long Radius turns.

I was absolutely determined to sort this out and was talking to myself on each and every lift run – it seemed to get better. We then started seeing the Trainer calling people over to him from his position half-way down the slope. It was difficult to know what was being said as we were too far away. The Scottish racer got a handshake; there wasn’t much doubt about his pass. One by one we got our shout. I was one of the last and was greeted with “Congratulations Andy you’ve passed BASI Level 1” and a hand shake. I was speechless and I’m not often without much to say. I had spent the entire time from mid morning to this point thinking I’d messed it up. I was very, very, very pleased.

7 out of the 10 ended up passing, everybody passed teach, mostly technical resits on Piste Performance.

I hope this gives a flavour of what the course entails; if anyone has anything to add, please don’t hesitate to do so. My observation is that it is a brilliantly put together course in terms of technical content, skier development, equipping candidates to become self-learners, team building (I felt that especially on the Thursday evening there was a great camaraderie with us all helping each other, providing feedback, prompting etc). I had a great time, thoroughly enjoyed it (except the bits I didn’t enjoy!) and I’m a far better skier than I was a week ago!

Would whole heartedly recommend it what ever your motive.

Please shout if you have any questions.

Andy
snow report
Wicked........Work done, Fag rolled, tea made, feet up....here we go Madeye-Smiley

abd Wow........Excellent insight...Thank you very much
Well done snowHead
ski holidays
Wow Andy, very detailed and accurate report. I think without all our efforts on Thursday night things may have been different for a few of us. Incredible to think you have only been skiing for about 10 months, but I guess you didn't have to unlearn any of the old school techniques some us had !!
Thanks for not mentioning me falling over while wearing the impaired vision goggles but I will come clean Embarassed

As you said though thoroughly enjoyable and rewarding, would recommend it to anyone
ski holidays
abd, interesting write up, and congratulations on passing. Onwards and upwards as they say. Will you continue with your training to work towards level 2?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abd, fabulous write-up, loved the cowboys & Indians thing, much more creative than anything I'd've come up with (see my slightly less thorough report here). I don't think I've spoken to anyone who's regretted doing the course. If you're good enough to meet the entry criteria you're good enough to benefit from the course. I'm impressed by how quickly you made the grade. I've heard a couple of horror stories about candidates turning up who were a long way off which must be frustrating for everyone, but it seems to be quite unusual.

braeworth, well done!
snow report
abd, great write up and well done on achieving your pass snowHead It is a bit daunting no matter what your motivation for doing the course is and it reminded me of my first ever day on a BASI course nerves ( i got there 15 minutes early, thought I had time for a wee but couldn't find the toilets and ended up a few minutes late and got a dressing down, not the first impression I wanted to make ! )

Fantastic to hear that teaching younger age groups was involved (super well done on being so creative with your session) as well as being introduced to what it is like learning with a visual impairment, top marks to your trainer.
latest report
thanks everyone and pleased that you found my write up useful.

Nige, yes I didn't have to unlearn some things, but do need to learn others and that showed up in the short turns where it was evident that you and Scott both had much more rotational control.

rob@rar, yes I have every intention of doing my L2 and as soon as I can. I need to improve my piste performance and moguls. Ideally I'll do it towards the end of this coming season. My plan is to get my 70 hours shadowing done (only 69 to go now!), this should massively improve my Central Theme demonstrations. I plan to continue with the race training to help with my carving, plan to ensure I get into the moguls every time they are on at Castleford which should help with my SR turns. I liked the idea of joining your Jan instructor development session, however its obviously (and quite rightly) proved very popular, so it being fully booked takes that option away. To be honest I'm currently in mixed minds what to do over and above the race training and moguls and see it that I have 2 options:
1) spend several (2/3) 2 week blocks in the Alps where I could do 2 weeks with Snoworks: 1 week moguls 1 week race training, then another 2 week block being race training and all mountain. Perhaps then one of the 1 week BASI L2 performance preparation courses, and L2 at the end of the season.
2) try and get a teaching contract for the season at Castleford (once I've done the shadowing), so spend some time teaching indoors, have only maybe one 2 week training block in the Alps and then L2 at the end of the season.
What thoughts or advice would you have?

little ms spock, I'd read your thread and would really encourage you to keep at it (I'm sure you will; you seem that sort Smile ). As someone said on your thread: you haven't failed, just "not passed yet"! One of the things I really enjoyed about the L1 was how its really helped begin to equip me to become a self learner. To better understand what is and isn't going on if it isn't going as it should or as I'd like. Obviously regular external feedback in whatever form is still extremely valuable - one way I get that is with the race training both from the gates themselves and from the coach at the bottom of the slope making observations. Another source is in the moguls: one line I picked up on a moguls thread in BZK and taken on as a mantra is "its not that you can't ski moguls, its that you can't ski and the moguls are just there to highlight it!"; harsh but fair! Just like most BASI Trainers wink

skimottaret, ouch, not the way to ease yourself gently into an anxious and stressful situation; bet you were on time for day 2! I have a bit of a reputation in my business life for cutting time a little fine! My definition of success when catching a train is that I'm walking down towards the platform as the train pulls into the platform and don't have to break my stride to walk straight through the train door (it having opened in the time it takes for me to get onto the platform and up to the train!) Something I manage reasonably regularly. I was determined to be (and wanted to be) early and in plenty of time on every occasion and was. I was therefore one of the first to arrive and because I was training hard after the end of each of the afternoon classroom sessions, was usually the last to leave.
snow conditions
abd, all those sound good options, although I think it would be better for you to get more technical training as I think you have a pretty good handle on the teaching side, so option 1 probably better use of your time this winter.

What was the feedback from Lee about strengths and weaknesses in your technical skiing as you go forward? My only advice would be to not focus too much on one type of skiing (eg bumps, racing, etc) just continue with all round good quality training, doing a bit of everything. I thought the assessment across the five strands at L2 was fairly equal in terms of demands, but when you get to L3 and L4 the bumps performance seems to become critical for the majority of candidates. I think it is far better to train to be a great skier than it is to train to just pass the exams, if you know what I mean. If you can do that with coaches who have a good idea of the progression through the BASI system so much the better. Your opt
snow conditions
abd, congrats and good write up.

I'd get out to the Alps as much as possible before doing your L2, based on your write up and having skied once with you I think you'll be fine on teach, it's the technical skiing I think you need to work on.

It's a HUGE step up from L1 to L2. I thought I was a good skier before taking my L2 Smile

You need lots of all round training as Rob says, variables, bumps, shorts, longs as well as the central theme.

I'd definitely get onto the L2 prep week and see whether they think your ready before committing the time and money that the two weeks L2 would take.

Have you had the PDF report back yet? That will have an "earliest suggested date to do L2" on it.

I've not booked my resit yet, as I am hoping there are still places left in Jan so I cansee what the trainer says on the Inside Out week.

BTW I can't see any info on L2 prep weeks on the BASI site, care to give me a pointer please?

See you on the moguls this Monday??

ta!

Greg
snow report
thanks rob@rar and kitenski, I'd only looked at the report notes on the members area and not bothered downloading the pdf. So having done so, the earliest date for L2 is Spring 2014; which fortuitously is what I was thinking!

What he said re Piste Performance was:

Quote:
This is the area that needs your most attention. It was great to see you make the changes needed. Now you have a good grasp of the Fundamentals, continue to develop varying your edge angle in longs whilst 'standing on - balancing on' the outside ski throughout. In short turns the balance needs to remain, watch you don't end up back & lifting the tips. Rotary skills for skidding, edge & pressure for grip & keep control of your speed & line by blending or varying these.

The L2 prep weeks are here: http://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-level-2-performance-training-course.aspx

Greg, I hope to be there Monday am, will pm you.
snow conditions
Abd- great write up! Really appreciate all of the detail. I am going to try and make some Tues gate sessions at Castleford, but am cautious about signing up for October L1 having read your report. I think I need to do some more trainig before I feel confident that my technical skiing is up to scratch. May see you at Castleford! Thanks again for all of the unfo, very helpful, and once again very well done!
ski holidays
abd, Well done for the pass and it was good to read your write up.

Time spent in the alps is the way to go to prep for the L2. Courses are good but don't forget to include a 'freeski' week or two to allow you to consolidate and experiment with what you have learned.
snow report
Lynnecha I have never seen you ski so can't comment but don't forget your skiing will improve quite a bit during the
L1 course.
I am planning to come to race training at Xscape sometimes so may see you there
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy