Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for riding moguls

Poster: A snowHead
I am a pretty decent rider, can ride (not just "get down") pretty much any piste, and now do about half of my riding off piste / side piste. But on moguls (even on blues and reds) I suck Mad and look like a 2 week rider.

So, ass the thread title says - what is the secret to, or do you have any good tips for, riding moguls?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
im no good boarder, but do ok on moguls, including a few reds, some o-p and a random double diamond I found in whistler! lol

I always try and use the moguls to turn off, rather than in the bottom grooves of the moguls where everyone else skis, a surfey kind of feeling, or slash turns in a pipe maybe???. Here is more snow meaning its not like glass like the rest. This may not be the correct way to ride them though.

Someone will probably just come and say be more committed and aggressive, and make sure you're bent at the knees more and load the edges....or something
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dennisp is right. Pick a line through the mogul field and treat it as a narrow pipe with breaks in it.
Tips are keep your head up and looking forward, not at the nose of your board and the current bump your on, and keep your knees really soft so you're prepared for the transitions. Try to use the pitch of the bumps to control your speed rather than speed checking the board.

Beware of homp-homp brigade coming down from above who are too preoccupied with reliving 80's ski classics and humming 'Popcorn' to look ahead.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I seldom see anyone riding bumps on boards. I'm way rusty at it as I don't ride at resorts much these days.

I don't think there's a particular secret, it just takes practice and sound basic technique.

Some thoughts, some of which may be obvious:
- Pick your bumps carefully. If there's no one on then they're probably out of condition.
- Ride them when they're ripe to soft. Boards work fine in bumps which would probably be too sloppy for skiers.
- Start on small stuff, work your way up. You'll learn more riding fast through small fields than sideslipping the big stuff.
- Avoid the sort of places novices go so they can say they "rode a black run". Those people get in the way, tend to cut traverse lines, and sit on the best bits of snow.
- Use your eyes and pick your line, so you are focusing a bump or so ahead.
- Don't stand around at the top of steep sections, just check for rocks and then ride straight down the middle. Novices tend to stand around giving themselves the willies, and they avoid the steepest most direct lines, which are actually usually the easiest bit.
- Ride the fall line. Don't traverse (traverse lines are like roller-coasters and they lead nowhere useful).
- Use the right board. I ride race boards at resorts, but for bumps it needs to be a slalom board (read: shortish and flexible). You need something nimble at relatively slow speeds. Ballet gear should be fine, although you don't see many people riding it in bumps so maybe not.
- Use as much leg action as you can manage - both push and pull to smooth it out.
- Avoid getting into the back seat, which may take a conscious effort sometimes to push forward.
- Don't swing your arms around.

As far as where you turn, well it all depends on the bumps I'd say. Me, I'm generally trying to dump speed, so I kind of slash the board into the line to do that. For in-condition bumps the line should be pretty obvious to follow and you'll want to be turning at pretty much every bump. Learning to turn on demand is best learnt elsewhere.

After Apocalypse Snow I didn't see any 1980s ski films, but you shouldn't have problems with people from above if you stick to the fall line. Mogul slopes are probably safer than general pistes for sitting around on, but I'd still not do it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
dennisp is right.

Jeesus, I may just print that!!

I have always found an 'easy' mogul field quite enjoyable actually, especially the accidental o-p one I did in Whistler. It wasnt massively steep, the snow was good, and I got into a really good rhythm. I think being able to flow, without too much thought or analysis (much as you do on piste once accomplished enough) is key to staying relaxed and enjoying the humps.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dennisp wrote:
I got into a really good rhythm.

Thats the secret.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Now if he can just get music and and his gal, who could ask for anything more!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the tips guys
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I slide down and flatten them Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I ski moguls but the technique should be very similar for snowboarders;

You don't want to carve but slide "skid" on the base of the ski / board to turn.
You want to absorb the bumps by "crouching" into them and extend your body (but not fully) when in between a mogul.
The idea is to ski / board the channels between the moguls and absorb when a mogul is coming your way. You can't always ski the channel so you will need to absorb, either some or all of the mogul. Ideally the corner of the mogul but it doesn't always work out like that.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I should of said; you can put your turn into the absorption but you don't have to, that's your decision in the moment, depending on the circumstances. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love moguls on a board, but like everything there is a technique, pretty easy too after some practice.

find a 'nice' mogul area. ie moguls upto 20cm or so. The big 1m moguls on a board suck no matter what.

1 - be brave and keep the weight forward to begin, back foot it all goes wrong. Pick the groove line around the moguls not turning on top and sliding down the back. Keep the weight forward ! back foot very light so that you can whip the board round very fast, check the speed by sliding into the uphill face of the next mogul.

ok so you've got the hang of keeping the weight forward to slide the board round quickly, check the speed on the face of the next mogul then follow the groove line and repeat.

2 - next step is to refine this but you need the above confidence of weight on front foot. Keep a 60:40, 50:50 stance, again you would follow the groove line between the moguls, but this time instead of having the weight already on the front foot like in the first above just throw the hip onto the front foot as you start turn, deweights the back, whips the board round then shift the hip quickly back and stamp on the back foot as you check any speed on the face of the next mogul, throw the hip forward and into the next turn and repeat.
By just throwing the hip a bit forward to turn allows you to quickly then change to stomp the back foot and check the speed. If you try and ride as in the first exercise with the weight constantly on the front foot it is then very hard to check the speed and you soon cartwheel. (but its ok for practice on an easy set of moguls) For me it is just a subtle hip move forward, turn, hip back stomp the back foot.

keep knees nicely bent and flexible throughout.

Works for me, have fun.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Straightliiiiiine!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boardiac wrote:
I am a pretty decent rider, can ride (not just "get down") pretty much any piste, and now do about half of my riding off piste / side piste. But on moguls (even on blues and reds) I suck Mad and look like a 2 week rider.

So, ass the thread title says - what is the secret to, or do you have any good tips for, riding moguls?

Strongly suggest lessons. There is no single "trick" to mogul riding, and without seeing you ride, it'll be hard to pinpoint what's causing your trouble. Moguls require very dynamic riding: lots of fore/aft, quick edge control and adjustment, correct amount of rotation, active flexion/extension. Your line also has a lot to do with it, and that's a matter of preference (my training director likes to have his students aim for about 75% up the mogul and transition at the top of that line) and terrain (crappy, sheild-shaped moguls are a nightmare for boarders or skiers and nigh impossible to pick a tight line through). And don't expect to be able to zipper-line moguls on a board

philwig wrote:

- Ride the fall line. Don't traverse (traverse lines are like roller-coasters and they lead nowhere useful).

Traversing, especially for someone who is just venturing forth into bump terrain, is necessary for speed control and timing. For a beginner drill, traverse over 3 or so bumps and then initiate your turn, rinse and repeat until you're more comfortable with linking them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Tips for riding moguls

Don't.

After years of trying and getting frustrated and some very painful wipeouts, I can now "do" moguls on my snowboard. It has been a complete waste of time because, having acquired the ability to "do" them I still find it a real chore and will avoid it at all costs. I wish I'd spent more time in the park - it would have been better spent.

As to tips, if you insist, then I'd suggest:

1. Commitment to the fall line i.e. bravery basically
2. Turning on the tops not at the bottoms of the moguls
3. Develop a rhythm as you go
ski holidays
Thank again for tips.

I do lessons of some sort every time I go to the mountains. Usually a couple of hours private lessons early on so I have something to work on for rest of the weekend/week (I do lots of Thurs-Sunday trips). Have never asked for lessons on moguls specifically, though, so that's a good idea.

Next trip is Tignes in early December so will probably book some time with Alliance or Neil McNair (I've had a number of lessons with them in the past).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy