Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynastar Legend 8000 - mounting my bindings aft the centre chord?

Poster: A snowHead
Hehe, don't forget i've also got the ST11's and M9's too snowHead Too many toys, so little sliding time Toofy Grin

I must confess that its not me to blame with the boots. I blame the bootfitters putting me in boots that were too big for me or the wrong shape for my feet Sad

GrahamN, How do you find the Fritschi's in the bumps? I was thinking the high elasticity of the Looks may suit the do-it-all use they're going to get better than the Fritschi's. Save the Fritschi's for the possible purchase of something like the Legend 8800's in a longer size for tramming like a freight train on powder days.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch, Lol, that reminds me, UPS are delivering my yellow one piece suit tomorrow! Don't know if I dare wear it at XScape though as I may get laughed at for wearing it as people can get so embarrased about what other people wear if not to their taste rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rockyrobin, I'm not a great bumps skier by a long chalk, and haven't taken them onto a serious bumps run yet, so can't really comment. That is the one terrain though that I'd be a bit leery of taking them onto much - they're strong but I'm not sure how strong. They did OK on a steep lumpy black at Le Tour last year, although one did slip into free-heel mode part-way down, which required some very rapid acquisition of telemark technique (I've never telemarked before BTW, but it seemed to come quite naturally).

At your weight, I very much doubt you'll have any need for 8800s whatsoever - so you're going to have to work much harder to come up with a valid excuse on that one!

Sounds like you may soon be attracting some similar comments to those of our coach, who has castigated me in the past about elements of the banana in my skiing - but I don't think he meant that in quite the same way Wink .

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haven't Dynastar changed the mounting position for the 8000 this year?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is all getting a litle confusing...!!

8000 - off piste and useable on-piste but you wouldn't want to live on them there. They aren't at all bad there but there are better skis for that...

and then get a dedicated piste ski for those crap snow/hardpack ice days.

At the very very very best, you only need 2 skis, a ski to handle off-piste and a piste blaster... and a top end slalom/GS will blow away all those pooser skis..

And then sell all the rest of the crap... !!!! NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamN, yep, it's me on the VR27's and I was intending to follow your plan. Use them for crap snow/family skiing days and get some around 85/90 waist for deeper stuff.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN, Woah, you did well not to loose it with one freeheel and one fixed in bumps Shocked After hearing your tale of intro to telemarking thats convinced me, P10's are going on them.
We shall see how they get on in powder deeper than my boots. I'm not convinced. Also after parlor telling me about what skis I will want to be on when my technique improves I don't think the 8000's will be up to the job Toofy Grin

No worries on banana comments. I'll be wearing helmet and goggles, so noone will recognise me off the slopes Laughing

DB, Yeah, i've been reading on those american sites Laughing that last years were 1.5cm forward of this years. Last years have "Dynastar" on the metal tip in silver, this years the lettering is in black. This is making it very hard for me to decide where to mount, especially after my B2's just forward of centre feeling weird.

JT, Its not too complicated Wink The idea is a ski for every day technique workout (Legends) with as little sidecut as possible, but still amenable enough for me to get well on top of. Got to make life a little difficult for myself or i'll just stay riding the sidecut and never develope other elements in my skiing technique toolbox.
Rest of time I have my ST11's for hardpack/ice days. M11's for when I want to be lazy and ride the sidecut in normal conditions. B2's (maybe) with Fritschi's when I fancy going freeheel somewhere. Possible purchase of wide boys for powder days when I feel i'm good enough - punt B2's and pop Fritschi's on new wide planks.

marc gledhill, You've kept very quiet about your B2's mate Wink Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rockyrobin, great skis. You ought to try them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marc gledhill wrote:
rockyrobin, great skis. You ought to try them.

Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
marc gledhill, Every time I go into EB to try the 05/06 version they're always out on demo. I have tried. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT,

Quote:

8000 - off piste and useable on-piste but you wouldn't want to live on them there. They aren't at all bad there but there are better skis for that...

which of course begs the question, good though the Legends might be, why wouldn't you just ski XLs off-piste and on-piste....

wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rockyrobin, on the fritschi or not point, i really wouldn't get too hung up on it. i'm much bigger than you (90kg ish) and have been skiing on much bigger skis than you. never had a problem with my fritschi freerides. i think the only time you would need to worry is if you were using them with a really soft ski. you MAY then be able to flex it enough to allow the binding to release into touring mode. as i understand it, the 8000s are reasonably stiff under foot so it's very unlikely to be an issue
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jedster,

Horses for courses. The XL will blow away the 8000 on ice but the 8000 will float just a bit better. Its just a question of where you make your compromises. And the only reason I got on the 8000 bus was because they may be a bit more available in the alpes.
The XL does have fantastic grip, tho' for a ski in this class....
I am on record as saying I wouldn't mind which one I was on and I think the XL shades it....!!

I will, of course, have a better opinion when I get back.

I hope you realise I was trying to get through this thread without harping on about the XL as a ski in this cat'......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch wrote:
rockyrobin, phew, glad you took that in the spirit it was intended. Now about those ski pants....

All that is Mammut this year is as always orange, however this year they have turned to a metalic looking lime green. I guess this sounds interesting to to, ya crazy fool. Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, There's method in my madness Wink With a bit of luck, everytime I go for my lesson I hope to be able to gain a discount in return for not wearing my crazy tango all-in-one. Should pay for itself over the season. Also my friends are so uptight about appearence they need someone to loosen them up a bit. After a season of being embarrassed by my appearence they should hopefully lighten up and see it for the fun it is.
snow report
Arno, Cheers for the feedback on the Fritschi's. I'm torn between what to do. On the one hand the Fritschi's make a great lifter plate giving edge to edge speed a nice boost on wider skis as I found out on my B2's. Only problem is that i'm not so sure this boot height would be good in powder as it will make the ski more twitchy than the Looks that have to boot very close to the ski which is great for stability, but not for edge to edge. Decisions, decisions Puzzled
ski holidays
rockyrobin, i would make your decision based purely on whether you want to use the skis for touring. I know the theory about stability vs edge to edge speed but in practice it's not v significant IMO
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I have had my beady eyes on Mammut pants for some time. Just can't decide if they're not maybe a bit "look at me!" Such high quality though!
ski holidays
David Murdoch,

I seem to remember orange and purple ones which might be a bit more you...!!! Laughing
snow report
rockyrobin,
Quote:

Only problem is that i'm not so sure this boot height would be good in powder as it will make the ski more twitchy than the Looks that have to boot very close to the ski which is great for stability, but not for edge to edge

Solution - 1) Buy skis ... you already have. 2) Nail on some bindings....P10s or Fritchis will be fine. wink

3) Find some powder. Shocked

4) Ski. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy