Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pole planting - useful or not?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mike Pow wrote:
flowa wrote:
What worries me about that is that the inference less experienced/technical skiers could easily draw from the way you put forward your case is that skiing without poles means they don't have to think about their arms - and for many that will equal dropping them to their sides (a common issue). No one has actually suggested that - not you, me, no one - but my concern is that some reading will think "well that's me off the hook for having my arms up - it was difficult anyway, hooray" ... and continue with them by their hips - whether they're holding poles or not.

Isn't the incisive point that skiing with one's arms in "pole position" (low'ish, outward'ish and forward'ish) is best for stability - whether holding poles or not, whether planting/touching poles if you have them?

I'm happy you've written that I've not suggested that.

And I agree that what you call "pole position" is integral to stability on skis.

I just feel that the physical action and thought process of flicking the pole is unnecessary for the vast majority of recreational skiers.

That final statement is the one that we will disagree on until the last person to leave turns the lights out Smile
per ^ your sentences :
1. good - you haven't, no-one has but some will think it
2. indeed - and that is the foundation of pole planting, whether you do it or not
3. that is the moot - now better defined
4. so be it wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flowa wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
I've already responded to this false claim of yours.

I thought your previous response (particularly the last line) did nothing but reinforce my point of concern, which is why I didn't respond to it, and you have continued to insinuate this is your brilliant idea since. It's irritating and insulting to other instructors.

Why are you concerned?

If you've interpreted that I'm claiming not teaching pole plants as my own "brilliant idea" please let me categorically state that is not the case.

There are other instructors who don't teach pole planting.

I've taught pole planting in the past, I re-evaluated it, and I don't teach it now.

I know that better instructors don't start teaching pole planting until the student can perform consistent, linked parallel turns on pisted blue / red runs.

They introduce the action to help their students progess to more difficult terrain like moguls, steeps, powder and varied snow conditions.

My interpretation from what you and others have written is that the ability level of my students and the snow conditions and terrain that they and I ski and learn in is does not warrant the need for pole planting but if they and I progress to more difficult terrain and more challenging snow conditions then we'll perform better if we pole plant.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Most arguments about ski technique arise when someone doesn't consider the bigger picture.
In this case Mike Pow assumes that pole plants wont help students, even when skiing in moguls or steeper terrain.
That is very questionable.
Keep on digging a deeper hole Wink

I am out.

Please see my most recent reply to Flowa.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pole Plant ..........

http://youtube.com/v/TQKxMN8E3Vk
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ouch Shock Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow, great - with each new post things are getting clearer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow, FWIW 1) I have seen nothing in your posts which contains either a statement or an insinuation that you invented skiing without poles 2) similarly I have seen nothing in your posts which is insulting to instructors (would that the same were true of all the responses) 3) it is perfectly obvious from your video footage that you do teach arm positioning if not pole planting, so I see no reason to assume that your pupils will just hold their arms by their sides if they're not pole planting and 4) I'm not going to quit using my ski poles! wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think pole planting is way more useful than face planting but before anyone starts - I don't teach face planting and didn't invent it either. Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/Q1VAO3o3B50
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB, thank you for that video - brightened up my afternoon no end Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

Had to post soz, full head plant from my lad!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some classics from youtube ....

http://youtube.com/v/zACMeYn0LEs

http://youtube.com/v/MdWV9HpMO94

http://youtube.com/v/rQOBAFO4C9k
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That last one is fabulous
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica wrote:
Mike Pow, FWIW 1) I have seen nothing in your posts which contains either a statement or an insinuation that you invented skiing without poles 2) similarly I have seen nothing in your posts which is insulting to instructors (would that the same were true of all the responses) 3) it is perfectly obvious from your video footage that you do teach arm positioning if not pole planting, so I see no reason to assume that your pupils will just hold their arms by their sides if they're not pole planting and 4) I'm not going to quit using my ski poles! wink

+1
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pole planting is useful when going down a steep chravas or down a tight black run on the mountain. Generally when traveling along down reds and blues pole planting is not required. I still do more a flick on the wrist to alert a skier/snowboarder who is comming behind me which way an i turning on the mountain. If you look close-ly at hirchel's run above he is doing the same thing. From what I been told in the past it help with your balance both mentally & physically.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy