Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort closeish to Grenoble - with good central easy runs

Poster: A snowHead
Flying to Grenoble for New Year 2013/14 and am looking for resorts with a central area with easy runs (greens/easy blues) for my 6 year old.

L2A looks like it has such an area, though I know it gets quite a bad press on here. I dont think Im bothered if its a concrete jungle - though Ive also heard it can get very rowdy at night?

We've done Alpe d'Huez - and although there are all those central greens I find too many skiers bomb through them as they filter in from pistes further up the mountain.

Accommodation will probably be self catering, 2 adults 2 kids; recommendations for this also welcome...close to ski school - maybe an international ski school rather than ESF.

TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take a look at Chamrousse Shimmy Alcott, http://www.chamrousse.com/

I took groups of beginners there several times. There was only the ESF back then but they all spoke reasonable English and we had a great time. We stayed in apartments close to the pistes (near the beginner's area and it was all very convenient. Loads of piste skiing for you as well and a good place to do an introduction to off-piste with the ski school. We went miles with our instructor the week we did an off-piste course. And you look down on Grenoble so it is fairly near! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shimmy Alcott, you may be better off in Chantemerle or Villeneuve in Serre Chevalier. Much more of a family atmosphere. I'm a big fan of Easiski, but not of L2A.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott, Chamrousse for the deals. Otherwise L2A, get in touch with easiski for apts and or lessons. Or check out European Ski school for the kids Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shimmy Alcott, agree with Hells Bells I love Easiski but to be honest I dont like L2A.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Les Saisies - not nearly as near as Chamrousse but a bit nearer than Serre Chevalier. There will be a new magic carpet lift in the beginner area this winter and there is also a long green run served by a chair lift. The whole central bowl area has easy greens/blues. But I think you might struggle now to find good accommodation for New Year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for all the input so far - looking into all suggestions
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, it isn't further to Serre Che, I think it is about the same distance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, Les Saisies is actually further, but faster - only a few minutes in it, though. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shimmy Alcott, maybe Try Montgenevre it will really suit you, get kids in classes with Apeak ski school, fiind a nice apartment direct or with peak retreats or else try ski etoile Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Valloire might be worth a look but I can't remember it well enough to say where the easiest runs are. It's about the same travelling time from the airport laughingly known as Grenoble as Les Saisies or Serre Che but perhaps a bit cheaper. The Peak Retreat prices in Les Saisies at New Year are ferocious - some are over £2K for a 2 bed apartment. Shocked £1.3K in Valloire. Maybe not such good accommodation I suppose (but there are also lots of much cheaper apartments, booked direct, all the Peak Retreat options are quite high quality). With small kids you need to get very local and impartial advice as to exactly where accommodation is in relation to lifts and runs. Some of the accommodation on the Les Saisies website, for example, is at the bottom of a red run with no alternative way down other than a major faff of a bus ride (and often poor snow because it's down at 1100m).

I find Les Saisies very busy at New Year, I must say. Far busier than Christmas. There would be lift queues for the main central lifts and the more distant, much quieter, areas are probably a bit difficult to access for beginnerish small kids.

In a similar driving time you could get through the Fréjus Tunnel to somewhere like Bardonecchia. But maybe those Italian resorts are just as busy at New Year as the French ones?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shimmy Alcott, If you are looking at Chamrousse, then look at apartments in 1750m as that is smack bang in the middle of the area and there are loads of blues and Green runs coming down into the village that your girls will love once they find their ski legs again.

I agree with Hells Bells, that if you want to travel a wee bit further Serre Chevalier is pretty well unbeatable, especially if you can find a suitable place in Villeneuve or Chantmerle. Personally I prefer Le Môntier les Bains, but I'm not so sure that is as good for your girls. More to do in Chantmerle and Villeneuve. The skiing is better for little ones further down the valley towards Briancon. The area will also give you and ph lots to ski and have fun in as well (as will Chamrousse).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, I prefer Monetier too, but thought there was more skiing suitable for the younger one in the central villages, especially beyond the nursery slopes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, I spent quite a bit of time looking around yesterday and Chamrousse 1750 did look good
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shimmy Alcott, I loved it there but the tour operators we were using just dropped it in favour of some of the big name places in the Haut Savoie (where they were offering real rabbit hutches instead of reasonable sized apartments). The VFM in Chamrousse was unbeatable to my mind. There was only the main base at 1650m when we went there but you could see the potential for the set ups at 1750 and 1700m for sure! I'd go back like a shot if I were based in France. One of the reasons I tried for a placement in Grenoble was because of the closeness of places like Chamrousse. Sadly it did not materialize and I ended up in Munich but I cannot say that the change in direction and language did me any harm! wink Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
sarah, where did you stay in Montgenevre?

Quite like both these apartments - one 500m form centre and other 300m which is doable even with a kid in ski boots? Laughing

http://www.ernalow.co.uk/france/southern-alps/montgenevre/accommodation?affiliateid=ppc&gclid=CJ3_xfijnbkCFeXMtAodm2oAGA
ski holidays
How about Les Sybelles? Never been myself but looks like a great area for piste cruisers

http://www.saintsorlindarves.com/en/winter/ski/domaine-skiable.htm#plan
snow report
I've been to St Sorlin twice, nice place. Trip reports here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=277919
latest report
aaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!

Really want to go to Montgenevre now but accommodation is very hard to come by! Waiting for Erna Low to get back to me on availability for the Airelles ^. If thats not available then Ive found a private rental that looks great...hope it doesnt go before EL get back to me!
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, the Chalets de Chaberton apartments should be very good if you can find one to rent. They had the same developer as our place, and will be very good quality.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, Last year we went to Monty with Zenith Holidays, stayed in Chalet Soleil (right next to the Chalmettes Lift on the other end of town).
Neilson also sell holidays (self catered I think) as to Ski Miquel. Also try Go-Montgenevre.com.
snow conditions
If Montgenèvre falls through you could look at Chantmerle in Serre Chevalier as you are still fairly close and the Grand Serre Cher ski pass includes a day skiing in Montgenèvre I believe, so you can scout it out for next year! Toofy Grin You will probably pass through Serre Cher on your way to Montgenèvre as well, especially if you go over the Col du Lauteret (La Grave). That's the route we always took from Grenoble Airport to SC. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hells Bells, can only find links to those apartments for sale

jellemr, Ive e-mailed Go-Montgenevre. Zenith seemed to have the Soleil only available for the entire chalet and for their Genepe chalet I need to call to check availability for part chalet so will do that tomorrow. We already have flights booked so Neilson and Ski Miquel are out. Thanks anyways.
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, You could also consider somewhere in the Vercors, there are plenty of green runs at Villard de Lans.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, there's a larger one on Homeaway, but they are all likely to be privately owned. They may be available through agents?
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, Ski Miquel will do accommodation without flights.
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, try also Ski Etoile for Montgenevre and Peak Retreats too Very Happy We stayed in a very grim s/c chalet when we went(big group of friends some ona budget). snowymum has been two or three times recently and stayed in Hameau des Airelles with Peak Retreats and really rates them. Montgenevre is a great resort snowHead
ski holidays
sarah, Ive given up! Think will just book Alpe d'Huez this time and keep Montgenevre in mind for a not so busy period. I see that there will be another big block of residences opening up for the 2014/15 season so things should be easier to book if we fancy going next New Year.

Hells Bells, Samerberg Sue, was struggling with Serre Chevalier accommodation too. Again its a resort I will deffo keep in mind for next time. Cheers.

Now, off to book P&V who have newly refurbed apartments in the Bergers area of AdH!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saint-François Longchamp should do the trick. Big wide easy slope with lots of runs and the option to go as far as Valmorel for the experienced.

http://www.saintfrancoislongchamp.com/

If you really want a beginner's orientated resort then try Albiez Montrond which is nice, family friendly and quiet. Could be a bit limiting for the experienced though.

http://lesalbiez.com/

Both are an easy drive from Grenoble too.

Some of my TRs:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995912
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2247546
snow report
Shimmy Alcott, you should have said, I have friend with lots of accommodation on her books, I'm sure we could have found you something.
snow report
Hells Bells, oops Laughing next time!
ski holidays
A company in Montgenevre have emailed to say they have an apartment available Very Happy It just so happens that I booked the Alpe d'Huez accommodation through Booking.Com and have free cancellation up to 28 November so I am in a position to cancel and book Montgenevre. Taking transfers, lift pass and ski lesson costs into account the cost is £338 more but it is in Chalet des Dolines!!!

Think its a no-brainer that I cancel AdH and go to Montgenevre?
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, I think so, and I can always pop up to Monty for a ski with you as we'll be in Serre Che that week. wink
snow report
Hells Bells, Ive emailed the company back - I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow for any progress in securing the booking...nerve racking lol
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, sounds good to me snowHead
ski holidays
sarah, its all happening!! email ping-pong even at this time of night Laughing Alpe d'Huez is cancelled...
snow report
I've come into this quite late and not read more than a handful of posts. Serre Che and Montgenevre are a good way from Grenoble and both require a route over the Col de Lauteret. Chamrousse is the only ski area I've ever complained directly to the resort for being dangerous in it's criss cross pistes and it's dreadful complacency. It's also about as ugly as it gets. Overlooked by us Brits are Les Sept Laux and Alpe du Grand Serre. Both are relativelt easy to reach from Grenoble and are much more French. If you were looking for something very French but very small, there is St. Pierre de Chartreuse and then the resorts of the Vercors such as the fairly large Villard de Lans and the tiny Lans en Vercors. The latter would not be enough for more than 1/2 a day to a day but it's worth a little visit. Hope this helps with some different ideas.
ski holidays
Ade57, you can go via Frejus tunnel to both Montgenevre and Serre Chevalier, it is not essential to go via the Col du Lauteret. In the general scheme of resort transfer times they are relatively close unlike Geneva-Tignes for example which is a frequent trip for some.
snow report
Ade57, very informative, cheers.

Anyways. confirmation received - we are all booked up with Zenith, through skichalets.co.uk, for Le Chalet des Dolines in Montgenevre and I have to say I am really really excited snowHead (we didnt get to ski last season!).
ski holidays
Montgenevre is great. You'll have a ball. High enough for great snow even in a poor snow year and plenty of travelling to do.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy