Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach in March

Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

I'm just new to snowheads so go easy on me!

I am organising a ski trip to Saalbach in March 2014. I had been looking at going in feb but i would like to avoid the bulk of the mid term holidays.
I was looking at snow reports over the last few years and the conditions are generally at their peak in Jan/Feb. Are the snow conditions generally good around early march?
Also is Saalbach a good resort option? Been to Livigno and Mayrhofen the last few years and looking for something similar.

Many thanks

Spider
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spider81, Saalbach is a bit like Mayhofen in that it has a very large area and a good range of runs to suit all abilities, plus a reasonable range of off-piste if you fancy that. Unlike Mayrhofen, most runs end in the village, and with multiple lifts out of the village there is no equivalent of the Penken queue. There's no need for buses to other areas within the valley either, as you can do the whole thing as a circuit in about 4-5 hours if you're a reasonable skier.

March is very much the main season - yes, on warm days late in the month the conditions could get slushy towards the end of the day and on the lower slopes, but the same applies just about anywhere. I've been there before in mid to late March when there was 50cm of fresh snow overnight, and on other occasions I've been in Zell am See round the corner with grass between the pistes. But then I've also experienced the same in February, in other places. In early March, the cover should be somewhere around 50-70cm on the lower slopes and 150+ on the upper, so it is unlikely that you will have problems, especially as their snowmaking capacity is huge.

The apres is good fun, and fairly extensive without being over the top. If you prefer it quieter, look at Hinterglemm, or for really quiet, try Leogang.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Early March is a great time to go.

I haven't skied the other resorts you mention, so what exactly are you looking for?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spider81,
If you like Livigno you will love Saalbach. Make sure you do the run to leogang if you go. Plus Im sure you will like the many mountain huts. Fantastic place & cant wait to get back there..........roll on Feb 1st Smile
Mitch
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies guys.
My main concern is the snow cover conditions but we'll be going 1st march so hopefully we'll be okay. Chances are if the snow is bad there then it could be bad everywhere unless we go to another higher altitude resort.
Our group will be about 10 or so and all around the intermediate category so i think the piste will suit us. We wouldn't be going off piste but would definitely be interested in tackling some of the one way circuits if they exist.
Any tips on accommodation? More than likely going to look at hotels and b&b's and hoping to get something around €600-800 for the week for a double room.
Thanks again!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you can get away the week before it will not be so crowded. I think that week is Fasching, so all of Austria and Bavaria are on holiday as well as quite a fair amount of the Netherlands and Scandinavia! Could be quite busy, but well hell of a party week to be away!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spider81, Saalbach has an excellent central tourist office website which gives details of all of the accommodation available, plus an online booking system for the larger ones. See http://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/accommodation/book-your-accommodation.html - for your party, use the Group Inquiry option on the red form.

It currently shows 6 pages of options on the Group Booking system - for easy access, you won't do much better than http://www.grafleiten.at/winter/ - directly opposite the main lifts in Saalbach, and 2 minutes walk from the centre.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saalbach is an awesome resort, my favourite of all the Austrian resorts I've been too, including Mayrhofen. It really has everything IMO. Early March will be fine and the pistes are perfect for intermediates.

Absolutely cracking apres too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spider81, + 1 for the Pension Grafleiten - our next door neighbours!

Can't really add to the above comments, other than to confirm that snow conditions are usually fine throughout March, obviously tending to become more Spring-like as you get into the second half of the month. In our experience over the last 7 years, dumps of fresh snow in late March/early April, combined with the extensive snow-making covering 90% of pistes, generally keep it all running (and regularly refreshed) until the winter season closes (on the second weekend of April).

Send me a message with your e-mail address if you'd like a copy of my comprehensive guide to Saalbach.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're heading to Saalbach w/c 8th March- snow will be fine Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can't really add to the comments above about Saalbach - its a top resort Toofy Grin

On the accommodation front, the Hotel Koenig is excellent and, if conditions permit (they probably will, usual caveats notwithstanding), you can ski to the back door.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi peeps

My 1st post...been reading comprehensively on the site about Saalbach. We're a group of about 10 peopel going 8th to 15th of March! Good to know that snow conditions should be fine - was a little worried about this! Staying in Hotel Peter - which seems virtually a ski-in ski-out location for the Bernkogel gondola and blue run 46! Can't wait and I have to say all the advice on this forum (Tatman - special mention!) is awesome! Any recommendations on best place for ski-hire - keen on having a bit of a selection? Tatman, any chance you could send me your guide on Saalbach as well? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi peeps

My 1st post...been reading comprehensively on the site about Saalbach. We're a group of about 10 peopel going 8th to 15th of March! Good to know that snow conditions should be fine - was a little worried about this! Staying in Hotel Peter - which seems virtually a ski-in ski-out location for the Bernkogel gondola and blue run 46! Can't wait and I have to say all the advice on this forum (Tatman - special mention!) is awesome! Any recommendations on best place for ski-hire - keen on having a bit of a selection? Tatman, any chance you could send me your guide on Saalbach as well? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Woolies, With pleasure! Send me a personal message with your e-mail address, or e-mail me using the address that you will find on my website (below), and I'll send you the guide.

For ski/boot hire go to Hansi's Best-Price, next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the bottom of the main street, and tell him I sent you - you'll get excellent personal service, his equipment is all new each season, and he'll give you a 20% discount.

Hotel Peter is an excellent choice. Hans Peter and his son, Rudolph, are very friendly people, and a stay in their very traditional hotel, which has been in their family for generations, will give you a taste of authentic Austria. Hans Peter is also a renowned magician, and his Friday evening after-dinner magic show (combined with the house speciality, the 'Felsensteak') is something you must sample at least once.

Not only is Hotel Peter ideally located for the Bernkogel lift and the end of the Bernkogel piste, being only a few meters away, but you only have to cross the street to access the Kohlmais sector of the skiing area, and you can also ski down from that direction to within a few meters of the hotel.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TT...

Many thanks for the info...

Dropped you a PM with my e-mail addy!

Thx
ski holidays
Guys,

Any recommendations for good ski rental in Saalbach? Our group would be all intermediates and we would be looking for decent well serviced equipment?
ski holidays
spider81, Look no further than Hansi's Best-Price (next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the bottom of the main village street). Mention to Hansi that I recommended him to you and he'll give you a 20% discount, as well as a welcome schnapps. Hansi is very helpful and speaks good English, and his equipment is of good quality and new each season.
snow conditions
That sounds good Tatman, thanks for your help
latest report
Hi everyone, going off to zell on 8th March and as I missed last season (I got married and funds low) I am wishing the days away. Just wondering if anyone has stayed at the hotel Traube and what it was like. Also if I want to go over to Saalbach do I need a different pass to the main one for Zell and Kaprun.
Many thanks
Mrs Ducky : Very Happy
ski holidays
Mrs Ducky, Zell and Kaprun are on one pass, and Saalbach Hinterglemm is on a different pass. You can buy the Salzburg SuperSki card for 6 days which will cover both, and 20 other resorts besides, for about €20 extra, which is cheaper than getting a 5 in 7 pass for Zell and then paying for a single day in Saalbach.
snow conditions
Thanks for that!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy