Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New morzine lift

Poster: A snowHead
Any news on the plans to put the direct lift in to morzine to Avoriaz with a travelator underneath the town? It's all gone a bit quiet....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gone a bit quiet
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another one of those fantasy links that’s never going to happen perhaps. I think it will depend on whether the current mayor is pro or agin’
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having just got back from Ischgl I wonder at the chronic underinvestment in French and particularly PdS lifts. Is there any way a resort can claim to be world class with the amount of slow ungeared four man lifts causing bottlenecks that PdS can claim.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GarryC, i think you are being somewhat unfair. Where exactly are you talking about?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pleny, pre fave, avoriaz village, there are many more. And that's before the amount of button lifts there are.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And that's after they finally got round to replacing Les Lindarets 10 years later than they should have.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@GarryC, i think you are being somewhat unfair. Where exactly are you talking about?

I know of at least 3 new detachable lifts that opening this year in the PDS as well as another in the Super Chatel area next season. That’s five on 3 years of which 2 of these are in Avoiriaz to better manage access to the Mosettes ridge. The Swiss areas are also trying hard to battle local politics to merge their ski companies that are currently split between Morgins and Champery to take holistic view at improving the area. I think at a minimum of c. €5M investment per new lift it’s difficult to see how things can get any better - unless they start jacking up lift ticket prices which are still great value for a vast area when compared to those in the US.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GarryC, per @Ozboy, there have been rather a few replacements. What is this “Lindarets” lift?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GarryC wrote:
Having just got back from Ischgl I wonder at the chronic underinvestment in French and particularly PdS lifts. Is there any way a resort can claim to be world class with the amount of slow ungeared four man lifts causing bottlenecks that PdS can claim.

Bang on. Also, having ski's in La Plagne last Easter for the first time in 15 years, the lack of investment is disappointing. Second string Austrian villages have better infrastructure than the jewels of the French resorts. Sorry but it's true.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Klamm Franzer wrote:
GarryC wrote:

Bang on. Also, having ski's in La Plagne last Easter for the first time in 15 years, the lack of investment is disappointing. Second string Austrian villages have better infrastructure than the jewels of the French resorts. Sorry but it's true.

I don’t know about La Plagne as never been there. Have you been to PDS and which second string AT resorts are you comparing it to? My full PDS season pass cost €495 so think it’s exceptional value and happy to put up with buttons in the outer stretches when I want to escape the hordes of tourists.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Klamm Franzer, but ... Austrian food.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:

You have me there! Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been to pds a lot in recent years for both skiing and mtb - almost never encounter a frustrating slow old lift. The only one I can remember is out the back of Chatel to head to a ride called the Jenkins Route. The rest are 4-6 man detachable lifts in the majority of well used routes.

Back to OP - the plan for the cross town-Pleney development looks amazing.....but we're talking a different order of magnitude of investment compared to replacing a single chairlift. If I was involved I don't think I'd be rushing into it given the altitude (lack of) and current warming projections.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@MHskier, I think the lift you are talking about is the chair up Morclan.........which has since been replaced by a fast detachable one.

I don’t often find bottlenecks other than real peak times in peak weeks and like @Ozboy I don’t mind the drags in the nice quiet areas.
ski holidays
Drag lifts are great! They rarely stop for bad weather and lots of unfit people avoid them, so the terrain they serve is often quiet. I hate this race to remove them.
snow report
@kditrj2d, they have their benefits. The ski area adjacent the ball-breaker drag at Homme de Pierre in Risoul is very quiet. For good reason!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@GarryC, per @Ozboy, there have been rather a few replacements. What is this “Lindarets” lift?

My apologies I meant Lechere. My overall point still stands. The last four times I have been in Austria skiing -Kitzbuhel, Solden, Gastein and Ischgl there are no slow four man lifts and no t-bars except for Bad weather links. Gastein has just spent 85 million on their generational lift system . Ischgl this year is spent 13.5 million on one new lift. Solden has invested in the Giggijoch and the James Bond lift system 100 million and between all four resorts , lifts are 6/8 fast charilifts, mainly covered and some heated. This is vastly superior to my experience in France three valleys, Tignes and Les Arcs/ La Plagne. In Tgnes you have such archaic wonders as Marais and Col de Ves and I was genuinely shocked at how poor PdS was compared even the other French resorts. Granted I see they have put in a four new badly needed lifts in Pde S since I was there the year before last but I would not be rushing back for the quality of the infrastructure.

While I appreciate there are plenty of posters who like draglifts and cheap passes, the cost of the weekly lift pass varies very little between all the French and Austrian resorts. Both countries have their charms but the Austrians do better infrastructure and it is big factor for me and perhaps many others in deciding where we go to ski.
snow conditions
If you need covered / heated lifts to enjoy being in the the high mountains then I’d humbly suggest maybe it’s time to consider retiring to a more gentle pastime.
snow report
@GarryC, you didn’t grow up, then, on the old side mounted Cairngorm chair, did you?

Avoriaz has invested rather a lot recently. Can’t actually think of any Avoriaz lifts that are disappointing.

Other elements of the PdS maybe not so much.
latest report
AT lifts are streets ahead of the French resorts......but if you want a real retro lift system.....try Italy......it's laughable.....although the food is great!
ski holidays
MHskier wrote:
If you need covered / heated lifts to enjoy being in the the high mountains then I’d humbly suggest maybe it’s time to consider retiring to a more gentle pastime.

Ouch, steady on Sir.
snow report
@GarryC, there is more to this... The improvement in Austria is I think due to a large upturn in visitor numbers In the last 10 years both from the Swiss preferring to ski over the border as better value as well as the British packaged holiday market which ‘discovered’ skiing in Austria. Think the investment needs to also look at the impact on these resorts balance sheets and also the environmental impact of new lifts/routes which can be quite devastating. Som of the issues with PDS is having to revenue share amongst 12 villages and also the heavy environmental restrictions in CH to build new lifts. The uncertainties of climate change are also causing vulnerable resorts to re-think their investment strategies including building a mega lift from the centre of Morzine which IMHO is not necessary.
snow report
PdS lifts are going down hill big time if they keep on introducing locking bars, and toddler retaining groin paddles - as I had to suffer last season.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

Yep, that's another plus for Austria - so much better and cheaper than the average French fare.

MHskier wrote:
Been to pds a lot in recent years for both skiing and mtb - almost never encounter a frustrating slow old lift.

The Fys chair back up fro the bottom of Nyon on the Morzine side?
The Tour chair any time after 3pm?

GarryC wrote:
...Ischgl there are no slow four man lifts and no t-bars except for Bad weather links.

Have they replaced the E3 chair up from Bodenalp, or the F1 chair up from the end of 7/the start of the almost never open 7a?
And I take it you didn't do run 3/37 with the joy of the G2 long, rippled, horizontal drag lift?
snow report
In fairness, @Mjit, if it’s better and cheaper food you want, Italy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy