Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dainese Body Armour

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Im looking to take advantage of the summer sales and buy some body armour. There are a couple of choices and i have previously tried on some of the equipment but was last year and memory is somewhat hazy now.

The options I have and thinking about for back protection are either

http://www.dainese.com/wd_en/multisport-winter/ultimate-vest.html?gender=2&cat=75
(Dainese ULTIMATE VEST)
or

http://www.dainese.com/wd_en/multisport-winter/action-wave-pro.html?gender=2&cat=75
(Dainese ACTION WAVE PRO)

and for shorts
http://www.dainese.com/wd_en/multisport-winter/action-short-evo.html?gender=2&cat=75
(Dainese ACTION SHORT EVO)

Does anyone have any experience with any of the products above or other recommendations? Also confused about size guide. Im a 30/32 waist and Dainese saying XS.

Appreciate any comments or advice, Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use force field body armour. Hard inserts and other padding. I use to use a BMX style top - netted hard plastic.
Like the force field stuff as its more ordinary clothes like. Light and you forget you have it on. Used by me mainly for shoulder protection following very bad injury. Hard inserts and other padding can be taken out if you wish
Have not tried the stuff you suggest
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that.

Main reson for me getting the armour is protection after having a bad landing on the Coccyx which resulted in a slipped disc. Still have back problems and Sciatia but trying to just protect what i have left of my back. Going for an operation to remove a part of it next year but for now want extra padding. This along with realising the stuff im doing and places im ending up in really I should have extra protection. Shoulders would be good too as also have an old injury but not completely necessary.

I dont want to restrict my movement so much or add on lot of weight.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not so sure on the forcefield stuff. The bottoms dont seem to offer all that much protection or padding. Im really looking for something solid for the coccyx section and nice to have the extra round the thigs too.

The tops look decent though when combined along with the extra back protector
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
punts, your link doesn't work.

Are you a boarder or skier?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Links seem to work for me but in case not then

shorts
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/dainese/action-short-protection/780111

tops
http://www.snowandrock.com/dainese-active-vest-evo/body-armour/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/32158?listing=true

http://www.snowandrock.com/dainese-action-wave-01-pro/body-armour/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/32157?listing=true
And i am predominantly a boarder

Cheers
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
punts, no. I meant YOUR link in your sig!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ahh Ok, try now and thanks for mentioning. Website is just waiting the trip advisor reviews to go on and then take away the extra link. Its just under progress now but pretty much there apart from any small changes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use the dainese jacket wave with detachable back protector. I got it for the motorbike but now use it more skiing. It's a bit too much I think but I don't really notice it when I'm out, just when I'm inside. It's too warm for spring skiing though. These things are meant to be warn as very close fitting so try on before you buy is essential. I've even thought about wearing it for mountain biking, but it'd be like a sauna suit in it!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Those Dainese shorts are excellent, I've used 'em for years. They used to be call Impact Shorts Plus but have been renamed Action Shorts.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
punts, I use on of the Dainese motorcycle jobs with built in (removable) back protector plus shoulder and chest & elbow protection. It's a mesh type construction.

Very good, but then do make lovely kit.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use a Dainese back protector after years with a generic moto one (identical to the Pro Tec product) - No great difference with the Dainese as far as I can tell in the wearing but all do shred your outer wear.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
punts wrote:
Main reson for me getting the armour is protection after having a bad landing on the Coccyx

I find mine comes in handy in bar brawls. Shocked
I used to wear one which made me look like Robocop which provoked a reaction in the bars. I now wear a vest which is more discreet, I find it makes for a good mid layer for a wide range of ambient temperatures.
I wear the shorts mainly to protect my hips which despite my mass have little flesh covering, previously I had been scraped to the bone falling on ice. The shorts have only smart foam protection for the coccyx.
I guess you are looking for a had plate long back protector. I feel it will be less of a faff if you get one integrated into the vest.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sorry double post

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 22-08-13 20:50; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
punts,
For coccyx protection that works, & is comfy, try Azzpadz ( google it) ; works a treat & you forget your wearing it .
Mitch
latest report
punts, looks nice. Good location. Staggering distance from the Vag.
snow report
Also well worth checking out Knox, they quite often do 2 versions of their main models a shorter one for comfort and an extra long one with much more coccyx protection. Something along the lines of :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KNOX-BACK-PROTECTOR-KC-2000-RACE-/290961259009?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Protective_Clothing&hash=item43bea47a01

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/knox-back-protector-/290962771969?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Protective_Clothing&hash=item43bebb9001

I can vouch these work well after a 100mph+ high side crash at Brands Hatch.

I also have a full body armour mesh suit with an additional set of plates for the coccyx mainly used for motorcross, but would probably be overkill for ski-ing as you would look like robocop in it. But can't seem to find mine on google anymore.
ski holidays
spyderjon, jon thanks for the reply. how do you find the sizing? Im going to get sent to a mate over in the UK as international postage is a pain. I had a look at all the sizing charts but seems a little off.

under a new name, thanks, just completed in July and did the renovations. seems to be going well so far and taken a number of bookings already. When i was over there though I was really tempted to just up sticks and live there full time instead of going down the rental route but I think my family would have had something to say about it. The seed has been planted though and for now will just have to make do with as many holidays as poissible. Havent actually been to the Vagabond as was too busy with the renovations but beer garden in the summer looked really inviting.

Lechbob, Yeah the more I look at it the vest one looks like a good option and less of a faff with an all in one. re-read through some of the posts and mention a few times people having the vest type with built in back protector but unsure if anyone ahs experience with the one in the link specifically? Wondering if this one is the rigid type protection and also if it is removeable. The S&R description isnt so extensive but by saying 'breathable fixed active shield' im guessing it is a hard shell type.

Going to be a bit warm in the pub with all of this gear on though when its time for a bit of apres ski. I can see some speedy bathroom changes taking place. The benefit of the other back protector at least the non vest type can easily be removed.
ski holidays
punts, Shame you can't get to try one on for comfort & fit. I think I would reign it back in the park if I had a damaged spine. Take care.
snow conditions
Lechbob, I tried on the seperate back support previous and seem to remember it being alright but it was a while back. Theres not all too many places I can go round by me to try on anything so will have to suck it and see hence the post on here.

I certainly dont do as much as I used to but still want it for all round protection and to limit any potential. I wish I had bought it previous but benefit of hindsight and all that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy