Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First pair of fatter skis for Canada trip?

Poster: A snowHead
There's talk of a bucket list trip to BC this year and I've told my mate that he should treat himself to some new skis. He's got some short turny piste salomons that aren't really up to it. I know nothing about skis other than I want some Whitedots. Something that will cope with various conditions rather than deep poo water skis. He's 5'9 and 85-90kg - length advice would be helpful as well. Thanking you.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Preachers - 179cm, or tell him to MTFU and get the 189cm.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Either the Directors or the new Rangers will do it for him. Same widths underfoot. As he already has a specific piste ski I'd not choose the conventional cambered Preacher twin tip. The Ranger has an almost flat tail & tip rocker whereas the Director is rockered both ends with a lot shorter running length so is more off piste/soft snow specific. The Ranger 177 would be ok but I'd really recommend the 186. Definitely the 188 in the Director as they ski so short. If he's binning his Salomons that brings the Preachers back in to play but I'd prefer the less cambered & rockered Rangers in variable snow.

And if you want to shed some weight off the skis then all are available in either their traditional construction or carbonlite. I'm 5'9"/87kg & will be mounting up some 186 carbonlite Rangers when they arrive next week Cool

I've got a pre-season Whitedot offer on until the end of August.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
Either the Directors or the new Rangers will do it for him.

I think you meant to say Redeemer (carbonlite version too) wink
Apart from some tootling around on my Mantras on the local hills, a couple of scary Ragnarok outings, token race "training" on my GS11s, and some early season non-carbonlite Redeemer outings, for BC thats pretty much the only ski I need snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. Maybe I should have worded my OP a bit better. I'm a boarder so don't know that much about skis other than those Whitedots are so purdy I've considered going the other way, maybe with a cheeky pair of Black Crows on the side.

My buddy is a skier but knows even less about skis. I helped him pick his current pair, which were fine as he hadn't skied since a school trip 15 years before, but with 6 trips under his belt now he's ready to step up.

Doesn't have to be Whitedots, a pair of last season's on sale would be nice also.

*edit* He's found some 179 Line Influence on line?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rossi S7s?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Edge and Wax have some mega deals on last years models

these for example would be just the ticket for charging about Canada

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/740335/products/movement_trust_2013_mens_skis_skis_only_.aspx

(lookout for the 10% extra off marked price - flashes on the website)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stuarth wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

I think you meant to say Redeemer (carbonlite version too) wink :

Nope, I meant the Rangers as the OP said he didn't want water skis Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lovely boutiquey specced stuff is all very well but bear in mind that the OP's mate knows f all about skis and therefore is unlikely to know what he would like and wouldn't and is possibly not technically that great. With that in mind a safe bet would be one of the 100s of skis in about a 100mm waist, 20-25m sidecut and a bit of tip rocker. Might not be the greatest thing ever but close enough to an average piste ski to not be immediately offputting. Other advantage is that you can practically throw a dart at a sale rack and hit something in this spec.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thought the Black Crows felt quite sensitive, so you feel the snowpack under your toes. The Mantra dulls everthing down a bit and soaks up the vibrations, so they are a little more forgiving. Liberty Helix or Faction CD 3.0 should be on the to look at list too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
stuarth wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

I think you meant to say Redeemer (carbonlite version too) wink :

Nope, I meant the Rangers as the OP said he didn't want water skis Laughing

Strangely enough Canadian customs weren't entirely sure that my Redeemer Carbonlites weren't water skis either so they charged me import duty (for some slightly strange reason downhill skis (but not almost any other types of skis!) are duty free) Cool

Slightly more seriously - if OPs mate is trading up from short slalom skis and has no idea what to expect, then perhaps demoing some skis out here is the way forward, rather than jumping into something based on the nice topsheet. There are skis shops in Canada too wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth wrote:
.....There are skis shops in Canada too wink

Really Shocked wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

perhaps demoing some skis out here is the way forward

A. +1^

B. In my limited Canadian experience (~5 weeks) I have skied more boiler plate than I would want to take anything much wider on my Mantras out on. It's not just all powder...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
stuarth wrote:
.....There are skis shops in Canada too wink

Really Shocked wink

yeah but it's hard to tell which igloos are shops and which igloos are homes Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno's just having you on. he's well familiar with Canadian shops as where else would he procure his fetching Lululemon ensembles.
snow report
lululemon igloos are easily identified by all the twots standing around adopting yogic postures
snow conditions
Some fantastic offerings from the big boys next year, Rossi 7 Series, new and improved, Salomon Quest Series, K2 Annex series. Been a long while since they've really got things right. All between the 100mm - 130mm, you take your pick.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy