Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Remote/high ski hotels in the US and Europe: 8 reviewed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Peter Hardy of the Telegraph looks at 8 hotels with a real 'get away from it all' appeal, sometimes with the advantage of 'ski-in, ski-out':

Hotel La Fôret de Maronne, Alpe d'Huez, France
Chalet-Hotel Le Pi Mäi, Serre Chevalier, France
Hotel Urthaler, Alpe di Siusi, Italy
Chalet Il Capricorno, Sauze d'Oulx, Italy
Riffelalp Resort 2222, Zermatt, Switzerland
Kulm Hotel Gornergrat, Zermatt, Switzerland
Eagle's Eye Suites, Kicking Horse, BC, Canada
Trapper's Cabin, Beaver Creek, Colorado, US

Here's the article. There are hyperlinks to the individual hotel websites in the text if you want more info.

Anyone stayed in any of the above?
Or any other 'remote hotel' recommendations?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
None of the above, but I stayed in the Sunshine Inn which is the only ski in/out hotel in the Banff Area. I would highly recommend it. Sheer isolation. We stayed 2 nights which was just about right.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith,

I can recommend the Rifugion Guglielmina as a entertaining alpine residence...no central heating, no lights when the generator goes off and donkey stew for dinner.

Very friendly alpine welcome and you do start the day at 3,000m on the Col d'Olen. Magnificent.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith, I used to stop for lunch at the Pi mai, most days but I have not stayed there. They used to do a dish called tourte aux pommes de terre, I would never have believed that the humble potato could be so delicious. In the last couple of years it seems to have become quite expensive for a lunch stop.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've stayed in the one that claims to be the highest in Europe. Can't remember the name, but it's above Val Thorens, accessible by piste basher.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've had 3 weeks in the Riffelalp at Zermatt, but before it became a 5* footballers wives style "Resort Hotel" place with crazy prices. The article kind of implies that it was not open between 1961 and 1998, but in fact it was, and it was a very nice 3* with great food. I had one of my best ever days there once, it snowed a foot overnight so we got up early and had a fabulous powder run down into town just as the sun rose, with the sky all pink and just a few choughs for company, then got the train back up to the hotel in time for breakfast...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy