Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flight prices gone crazy?

Poster: A snowHead
At Christmas 2012 we booked flights from London to Verona for February half-term 2013, total cost £400 for 2 adults and 2 kids, including baggage and pre-booked seating. This year, booking for the same week Easyjet want a stonking £786 for the same week/baggage/seats. And that's flying on the Friday - if I want to fly on the Saturday it balloons to a ridiculous £1400+. What gives?!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 20-08-13 11:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Could be seeing the impact of schools no longer able to authorise term time holidays? So increased demand drives prices higher? I am amazed you got such a good price leaving it that late in 2012 TBH.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Half term was split across 2 weeks last year (although 2 thirds were perhaps on the 2nd week). I've always found it necessary to book really early to get a decent priced half term flight.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NickyJ wrote:
Could be seeing the impact of schools no longer able to authorise term time holidays? So increased demand drives prices higher? I am amazed you got such a good price leaving it that late in 2012 TBH.

Hehe, that's us booking early! We're nothing if not disorganised, spur-of-the-moment, sod-it-lets-go kind of people.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Claude B wrote:
Half term was split across 2 weeks last year (although 2 thirds were perhaps on the 2nd week). I've always found it necessary to book really early to get a decent priced half term flight.

Ah, that could well be the problem then. Now I'm stumped as to what to do. Obergurgl in early April?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Now I'm stumped as to what to do. Obergurgl in early April?

yes, or heaps of other places. For half term the best option now that flight prices are so high would be to drive - no more expensive than in January, though you need to plan carefully to avoid horrendous jams given that the UK half term coincides with the Paris holidays.

Easter is a far better bet. easyJet flights for April not yet available; book the moment they are (usually October time IIRC)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Personally I booked to go mid April, last January to take advantage of a TO who hadn't realised that Easter school hols were a week later in 2014 vs 2013. Going Les Deux Alpes and keeping my fingers firmly crossed for snow (and that my knee will have healed enough by then).

I guess there may be a chance of a last minute bargain to be had.....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:

yes, or heaps of other places. For half term the best option now that flight prices are so high would be to drive - no more expensive than in January, though you need to plan carefully to avoid horrendous jams given that the UK half term coincides with the Paris holidays.

Easter is a far better bet. easyJet flights for April not yet available; book the moment they are (usually October time IIRC)

Hmmm yes, I had pondered driving. We drove to Italy and back a few years ago, and it was a major slog. Once an overnight stay on the way there and/or back is added in, the cost is getting surprisingly close to that of the flight. We drove to France a year or so later and didn't enjoy that experience at all; we won't be repeating it. I might just cough up for this flight, at least we get to see family in Italy at the same time, and our accommodation cost is pretty low.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ wrote:
Personally I booked to go mid April, last January to take advantage of a TO who hadn't realised that Easter school hols were a week later in 2014 vs 2013. Going Les Deux Alpes and keeping my fingers firmly crossed for snow (and that my knee will have healed enough by then).

I guess there may be a chance of a last minute bargain to be had.....

Good grief that's very organised Shocked I doubt I can cope with that kind of planning - what if...what if...what if something changed? Don't ask me what, but what if it changed? wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
magriggs, I have always been quite organised and like to plan in advance but it has come as a shock realising that if I am going to get the best school holiday deals I need to turn it up a notch Happy. I Must admit I do miss doing the last minute deals we used to do - got some real bargains then BUT it was just me and hubby then, didnt have to worry about Childcare or school hols

Yep things always change - but then that can happen even if you book 1 week before departure, and that is part the point of travel insurance in my book.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickyJ, indeed, I'm going to have to seek some sort of professional help to solve my last-minute-ways! Happy

For future reference, does anyone know when I should have been looking on easyjet.com to get the best flights for half term?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Easyjet iirc was May. BA release their 355 days in adance and Monarch 13months in advance (again IIRC).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
magriggs, I can't remember, but somebody will. But the half term prices shoot up - they will triple within a couple of days of coming on the market. I've found Snowheads is the best source for a heads-up on when flights come on sale (easyJet has a system where they send you an email but IME it doesn't work.

Start now to plan for April and watch for when those flights become available - there is nothing like the demand, so you don't need to be hovering over a keyboard at 2 am.

I drive to the French Alps a lot, on my own - around 5 - 6 times a year - but I'd not do it at half term. And Italy adds an extra dimension.

If Genova is any use to you BA flights from Gatwick at half term are reasonable, especially if you can fly on Friday. Would probably leave you a substantial drive but at far lower cost.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep, same for me this year. Last January flights to Innsbruck were £440 (I did book that very early if it makes a difference). This Christmas it is £840.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musher, prices for Geneva this Christmas (easyjet from Gatwick or Bournemouth) were so high that by the time my daughter and family decided they could manage a holiday the prices (even though they are not stuck with Sat/Sat) were too expensive - out of reach, really, despite free private limo (sic) transfers and free accommodation. They are now waiting for the April flights to be released.
snow conditions
I booked the half-term flights in the end. Our accommodation cost is low enough that it would probably work out the same/more expensive if we went at Easter. Thanks all for your help Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I always diary the day flights come out and then set an alarm for first thing on the day they come out for half term. I'm clearly not the only one as the BA ones fly off the shelf and I've seen the price doubl between 6am and 7 am on the day. Crazy I know but that's dynamic rising for you.
ski holidays
pam w, I didn't know the Gatwick to Geneva flights before Christmas were so much, I am sure my cousins who are coming to stay with me got theirs for about £60 quid on the way out (mind you its the Friday 20th)
snow report
Swissie, that's very useful, thanks, just had a look - the prices seem to have come down quite a lot. Maybe easyJet were being overoptimistic. Have sent an email to my daughter to have a look.

they can't leave till 21st at the earliest, unfortunately, as son in law (teacher) will not be able to get away till lateish on the afternoon of 20 Dec and they have two young children.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy