Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Second Solo UCPA trip - Les Contamines - Over xmas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
Im thinking of going somewhere over xmas week - 21st dec, and wanted to know what people think about Les Contamines with the UCPA.

I've already been to l2a (UCPA) in April as a total beginner and had an absolute blast
Anyway's my questions.
What is Les Contamines like for beginner/improvers - I've done a red at l2a with the instructor on the final afternoon and survived. I was happy on Greens and Blues, but hated the green roads rolling eyes
Whats the snow like for that week usually?
Whats the UCPA centre like over xmas, i don't celebrate xmas and not really into the apres.
Do many english speaking people go to a UCPA centre over xmas?
What time would the lift be shut during xmas? I would love to go on the slope in the evening, but not sure if it is done here.
and finally anything to add about les contamines?

Thanks!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 21-08-13 21:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sn00boarder, the terrain in LC would be fine for you, and the UCPA instructor would find the right runs. Snow's a lottery, obviously, but generally would be fine - though you might need to download from the middle gondola station (especially as the alternative is a red road Twisted Evil ). The lifts would generally shut early in December because it gets so dark (probably around 4 pm) but it's possible there is a floodlit slope available - have you had a look at the LC website?

Les Contamines is great - most of the top skiing is east facing and does very well for snow. The only dodgy areas (snow-wise) are steep, black and bumpy - the Veleray sector - and that wouldn't bother you (it doesn't bother me, either wink .

Couldn't tell you about english speakers but my son in law, who speaks no French at all, and is quite shy, enjoyed 2 UCPA holidays (Argentiere and Flaine).

One of the SHs who knows LC better might be able to help with some of your questions - I just go over there for days, starting from the belleville side, so I don't go anywhere near the village itself. But I like the skiing there very much - some lovely long sweeping reds which will be perfect for you to progress to.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi sn00boarder, we went to Les Contamines last christmas. Trip report here.

The main town of Les Contamines is a short bus ride away from the gondola that you will need to take to get up to the ski area. From googling I am pretty sure that is where the UCPA is. We stayed in an apartment in Hameux de Lay which is an offshoot that makes it walkable to the lifts. It's only a short ride afaik but if it's something that puts you off then at least you know. The advantage is there is a "high street" to wander along if you fancy a stroll in the evening.

You will not have an issue with snow cover. The ski area is not as big as L2A but I would say it would be great for you right now. You can not ski in the evening (no floodlit skiing) and at that time of the year lifts will shut on the early side(4.20/4.30). There is not much skiing in the trees so in really poor weather you will struggle. Though from what I remember on the one day I skied there L2A is the same.

Personally in my several ski trips at christmas I've always found the celbrations fairly understated so you should be fine from that point of view. And no dount the UCPA will have some like minded people to yourself.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both, great report Layne,

I will keep LC on the list and see if i can afford tignes or les arcs and make a decision....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The UCPA centre in LC is about 5-10mins walk from the centre of the village. IIRW the pistes are a 10mins walk also but there's a bus stop just outside the UCPA centre. I was there 1st week of January 2 years go and there were loads of snow so I often walked/slid (it's flat by the way so I'm not sure you would be able to slid on a board) to the lifts as a warm up. The mountain itself is good with loads of easily accessible off piste which if conditions are right will be perfect for a beginner snowboarder (according to my friends, I ski). When it comes to English speaking people I think I was one of the only one (and I'm French) but my Omani friend who speaks high school French still managed to chat to everyone (He's not shy at all though). The centre is really nice with lots of stretching/conditioning activities in the evening and a SPA (for which you have to pay extra) which I did not try. There's a small bar 2 mins walk from the centre where we often went that was good.

UCPAs in Flaine and Chamonix have a lot more English speaking people. About 1/2 and in Chamonix that did not include the Swedes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The UCPA centre in LC is about 5-10mins walk from the centre of the village. IIRW the pistes are a 10mins walk also but there's a bus stop just outside the UCPA centre. I was there 1st week of January 2 years go and there were loads of snow so I often walked/slid (it's flat by the way so I'm not sure you would be able to slid on a board) to the lifts as a warm up. The mountain itself is good with loads of easily accessible off piste which if conditions are right will be perfect for a beginner snowboarder (according to my friends, I ski). When it comes to English speaking people I think I was one of the only one (and I'm French) but my Omani friend who speaks high school French still managed to chat to everyone (He's not shy at all though). The centre is really nice with lots of stretching/conditioning activities in the evening and a SPA (for which you have to pay extra) which I did not try. There's a small bar 2 mins walk from the centre where we often went that was good.

UCPAs in Flaine and Chamonix have a lot more English speaking people. About 1/2 and in Chamonix that did not include the Swedes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy