Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboarder falls in hole. Scary.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/4mFZmHDb6Zw

Don't know if this has been posted before.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might say "why you should read the terrain better" - can't imagine what posessed him to ride into that depression.

mind you we've all done stupid things - I cratered into a large hollow once that took me 30 mins to wade out of and have had to self rescue from a treewell.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On second viewing fatbob has a point, but that's still quite a sobering piece of footage. If the roles had been reversed and the eleven year old boy had gone into the crevasse I doubt that his smaller board would have broken his fall quite so effectively. Hopefully this helps to make a few people think twice before going into unfamiliar terrain with insufficient experience.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some good lessons though, not going off piste on your own even a little bit, the depression thing, and also assuming lots of tracks equals safety, plus the self rescue v getting help question. I did think he was a bit hasty un clipping, it looked a long drop.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

not going off piste on your own even a little bit

Hmm, don't agree with that. Times, places and experience are obvious caveats, but when you take away the safety blanket of being in a group you also take away the illusion of that safety blanket, which leads to better (or at least more cautious) decisions. Also less people around to trigger slides above/add weight to the snow.

I've done a lot of solo offpiste and really enjoy it, but I keep it more conservative.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sobering thing, glad he came out of it ok. Jack really was a star here.
jbob, I dont think he was that hasty unclipping, it said 'sometime later' and he had wedged some of his rescuers ski poles beneath him first to create a platform to stand on. A good idea and something worth remembering.

Easy to spot the dangerzone on the slope though when you know something is going to happen.

Thanks for posting it up
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is the Flaine with the notorious holes off piste, right? Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999, I don't agree with myself, I often stray on my own but on known ground, no holes and folk around. Mind a couple of years back at Le Tour, in the fog and just off the side, an English guy, at the end of the day, last in the party, went over a roller which followed him and buried him, he died. It was thought he skied off the side accidentally due to the bad vis.
Bones, I also like the poles idea, one up for skiers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
that is scary !!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy