Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help me choose a touring ski....

Poster: A snowHead
hi db, thanks for the post Madeye-Smiley

I live in France so will be doing most if not all my skiing in the southern alps. The Ecrins & Queyras being of most interest.

I already have a 95mm ski that I am happy with for lift-based skiing, I plan to keep my 95mm ski (atomic theory) with the guardian binding as I feel really confident with its strength, release etc, used it for about 30 days last year.

having bought some dynafit compatible boots toward the end of last season (dynafit titans), which is a heavier, freeride boot, I am wondering whether I would be better served going for something smaller, the same, or bigger than the ski I already have. I guess if I can get good performance in powder with a tolerable weight for longer tours, then that's ideal! having not done all that much touring, I don't have much experience to go on. How there is gain from going for lightweight over performance.

But, yeah, its a compromise and hard to choose.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ractys,

Maybe it's possible to interchange Dynafits or Guardian bindings onto the Theorys by using binding inserts or a mounting plate.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What DB says...

If you like the Theory's get some Quiver Killer inserts and you can swap the bindings whenever you like.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CH2O, Hi I saw in a forum post that you were recommending volkl nanuq for touring / backcountry. Have you used in Scotland? That is where I will be using the ski and am just interested in getting some feedback on How it tends to perform.
thanks!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it's a dedicated touring ski for long tours plus plenty of ascent I can recommend the Trab FreeRando Light with dynafits. Trab are handmade in Italy and if you look at what a lot of ski-alpinists are using you'll see Trab.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski length is an issue too, in general, I'd say 180 or even less should be your upper limit. It may be that a longer, rockered ski would be better as an all round, on/off piste ski, but the extra length will make it difficult to turn or sideslip down narrow icy couloirs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamcham, ok apologies been on the wine (it is my birthday) so DICOAKB* but surely, and I have read this when sober but still can't understand the point you are trying to make....... "the extra length will make it difficult to turn or sideslip down narrow icy couloirs" ........

What's the difference between a touring ski then and an all round ski, on/off piste ski and finding yourself in the same couloir regardless of whether you're touring or not - just that when touring you don't tend to push the envelope as much (or is that the reason why), and ski a little bit more within yourself, so I don;t understand the point you're making Puzzled

If anyone's interested I have two pairs of touring skis for sale, only problem is that they are out in Serre Chevalier rolling eyes

One pair is my Scott Missions with Marker Barons / Dukes can't remember 177's great ski for half day tours and the like, as an intro to ski touring.

Then my light weight K2 Mount Bakers with Dynafit TLT 177's - plus have a set of skins to go with either pair.

Will be more able to fully advise when I get out there on the 16th Dec.

Replacing the above with Blizzard Bonafides and Dynafit Radical Ft's - way to go Smile

* Drunk in charge of a key board
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam - I expect you'd agree touring is about more than, "earn your turns," but about the journey, the people, the places you get to. So I've often found myself needing get down steep, narrow, icy couloirs with high exposure, where, frankly, I'd rather not make a turn because of the potential consequences of getting it wrong. If your ski is shorter than the width of the couloir, it's a lot easier to sideslip. Catching your tip on the rocks at the edge of the couloir and then sliding backwards down the ice is not a pleasant experience...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would add that a pair of shorter skis are better for touring/ski mountaineering as they're lighter, when you're climbing with them on your back they get caught on less, they are easier to kick turn, they're easier to jump turn and you can sideslip narrower gaps*. You don't see rando racers on massive long planks.

However, if you're a freeride charger getting a copper you your line or hiking 20mins to a couloir the above wouldn't apply.

Having tried to sideslip a steep icy couloir 10cm narrower than my ski length and got stuck it was quite a harrowing experience I have no desire to repeat so this may have clouded my judgement.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Having tried to sideslip a steep icy couloir 10cm narrower than my ski length and got stuck it was quite a harrowing experience I have no desire to repeat so this may have clouded my judgement.

My sentiments exactly Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is why I only sideslip icy couloirs on snowblades. NehNeh

More seriously if the difference is between a choke of 180cm and 170cm is there really that much increased chance of there being room to sideslip? I'd reckon the main advantage is the increased nimbleness and lower weight of a shorter ski rather than their ability to scrape snow off narrower sections.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, definitely. My first set of touring skis were 181, and I skied with friends on skis in the mid 170s. The difference in the ease and speed with which they could sideslip narrow couloirs persuaded me to go down a size, and I haven't regretted it. It's not so much about choke points, but sometimes needing to sideslip quite a distance down narrow icy couloirs.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Re-reading my entry above, I suppose it really makes a difference if your companions are on shorter skis than you. If you're all on longer skis, you may decide not to attempt a route, or to rappel it instead?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'd reckon the main advantage is the increased nimbleness and lower weight of a shorter ski rather than their ability to scrape snow off narrower sections.

I'd agree, hence it was at the end of my list of reasons! It has, however, been an issue for me, so it is something that maybe affects my opinion more than it should.....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chamcham, well how do you know the choke is good for 170cm or 180cm skis or maybe its only good for 160cm skis? I guess if it's high traffic then people will know the conditions but that's not always the case and it's pretty hard to judge scale from afar.
ski holidays
can someone please shoot me if I start choosing skis based on how good they are for sideslipping? Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Chamcham, galpinos, do you often choose objectives that involve long, narrow, icy sideslips Puzzled Sure once in awhile you may over-estimate conditions and end up having to sideslip something for safety's sake, but I think it's pretty rare for anyone to deliberately tour for a couloir less than 2 metres wide - whatever skis you're on that would necessitate either pointing it or sideslipping...
snow report
Chamcham wrote:
Catching your tip on the rocks at the edge of the couloir and then sliding backwards down the ice is not a pleasant experience...

Switch to the road, eh?
snow conditions
Serriadh wrote:
Chamcham wrote:
Catching your tip on the rocks at the edge of the couloir and then sliding backwards down the ice is not a pleasant experience...

Switch to the road, eh?

Nah... a quick 180 wink
snow conditions
When I think of touring, I’m thinking ski mountaineering, not meadow skipping. Maybe this is where I went wrong…..

As I said previously, side slipping an icy chute is not the only reason. The reasons for a shorter ski were:

• Lighter
• Easier to tick turn
• Easier to jump turn
• Less likely to get caught on things when on your back
• Sideslip narrower gaps – maybe I should have said negotiate narrow gaps!

My touring skis are (a long) 186 and I’ve often hankered for a shorter pair as I’ve been trying to jump turn a tight couloir, negotiate a rocky narrow without resorting to the rope, getting my axe caught on them whilst climbing (a la Vivian in T’es Pas Bien La – it happens to the best so it’s all ok…..) on a long steep skin with a million kick turns etc.

clarky999, have you done any gully skiing in Scotland? Very Happy There are plenty of times when there has been a narrow entrance to something I want to ski. It doesn’t mean I’m side slipping, jump turning a narrow couloir is lot less stressful when you’re not worrying about clipping your ski tips on the sides (this has also happened to me and it filed away in the “not much fun” part of my memory).

Arno, I’m sure if DPS brought out a ski for sideslipping icy chutes you’d be the first one in there on a pre-order! wink
ski holidays
galpinos, forevermore I'm going to ask people if they want to go "sideslip narrow icy couloirs" when inviting them to go for a quick tour. Toofy Grin
latest report
meh, Ha, ha, I'm going to regret ever posting on this thread, I've out-ed myself as an uber-punter..... Cool
latest report
galpinos, I am an EXPERT sideslipper so I don't need assistance from my skis wink
snow conditions
Arno, galpinos, meh, clarky999, Anyone up for a discussion about which skis are best for rappelling? wink
ski holidays
Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
Chamcham wrote:
Arno, galpinos, meh, clarky999, Anyone up for a discussion about which skis are best for rappelling? wink

Rax wink
snow report
Chamcham wrote:

rapping from or for skis-on rapping? wink
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
Chamcham wrote:

rapping from or for skis-on rapping? wink

Skis on of course, otherwise it wouldn't be skiing.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/188922
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serriadh, That was a great thread, some pretty buttock clenching pics. Fav quotes...

So you are probably asking "is this even skiing"? The answer is yes, because we have skis on.
We made some high concentration and consequence kick turns. (That does look a scary place to manoeuvre in).
snow conditions
Quote:

rapping from or for skis-on rapping?

If it's for "skis on-rapping" over rocks, the best skis to have on my feet are Arno's.
snow report
skis on - some old Volkl G4s I rented in La Grave the first time I went. The first "fat" skis I ever skied Cool
latest report
These should be perfect:

https://www.skitreff.de/de/ski-sport/ski/touren-ski/kneissl-free-star-2009-2010-2.html

I'm very happy touring on 1.5kg skis with Fritschi bindings even.
ski holidays
At 150 euros, that's a pretty good deal.
snow report
Aaaahh quite a few responses since I last dialed in rolling eyes

Think what this shows is different peoples approach to ski touring, and which direction they prefer to take etc

If I'm touring with the Mrs and a few others sans guide like we often do then we are certainly not going to be taking any routes that might involve steep icy "do not fall" couloirs - in fact in my later years I try to avoid that and would not put myself in that situation as would most guides, but it does happen and then a guide would have a rope and we'd have ice axes as well, but like I say those are very rare occasions unless you really are into ski mountaineering more than touring?

I also hear the point about kick turning etc etc but skiing is a compromise at times.

I'd rather now have a ski that can tackle all snow pack from crud, slush to powder as opposed to what I have had in the past, if that means a little longer, fatter and heavier then that is the compromise I'm willing to now take.

I fecked my ACL and that was probably just down to bad luck, but I'm pretty sure if I'd been on more of a charging orientated ski I would have been ok, and over the last couple of seasons since my ACL I am way less confident in heavy soft snow, which one does tend to encounter more in spring touring on the descents especially at lower altitude.

I don't mind climbing with a heavier ski as I tend to be a lot stronger than most in our group as I tend to get more time on the moutain, though this season we're joining the local Club Alpine Francais in Briancon so that will be a bit of an eye opener.

So it is a case of each to their own and what they prefer.
snow report
in the end I got some 2nd hand 2011 scott crusairs in 176 which came with dynafit vertical st bindings and skins pre cut, so a good deal, I think.

so far so good, but not tested the downhill performance too much as I was hopping round rocks.
latest report
ractys, awesome, good ski, hope you enjoy them.
latest report
ractys, nice set up.
snow report
ractys, as above, speaking from very similar experience (Powd'airs rather than Crusairs). A fantastically versatile set up snowHead
snow report
galpinos, if you need a rope an axes to get there I think that definitely falls in the mountaineering rather than touring camp!

Sadly haven't done any Scottish gully skiing, would genuinely like to if I get the chance though!

I've skied a few things with 'interesting' entrances, but tbh for the rare occasions where I have to sideslip more than a few metres then I'd rather just deal with my normal length skis than have to adjust the other 98% of my skiing. Similarly jump turns, but if I can't do one or another on my normal length skis then I think I'd rather be on a rope anyway!

Weathercam, good post.
latest report
Arno wrote:
galpinos, I am an EXPERT sideslipper so I don't need assistance from my skis wink

From what I witnessed, your skis can side slip perfectly well without you...for some considerable distance! wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy