Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any gems for self catering in feb half term?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Looking for some ideas for self catering in Feb half term - 15th Feb, need a place for 2 adults in one bed, 1 child in another and another adult on a sofa.

Ideally looking to rent a place for around £1500 for the week.

To give you a bit of background, dad went skiing for first time this year and fell in love with skiing - my fault - but he is a teacher so is stuck with half term (and now considering a career change!) mum and son have never been but learnt at Tamworth snowdome. Mum is a little nervous but progressing. And I'm the one bed sitting on the sofa looking to get two weeks skiing in this season.

Have checked out P&V and found a few options, just wondering if anyone has any gems they would care to share? Have looked at Les Arcs and La Plagne at the moment as I know they are good places to learn but maybe someone has some interesting alternatives?

Appreciate any thoughts

Sid
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kosciosco, you shouldn't have to pay that much. Here is one suggestion - this has two bedrooms and is €980 for that week, ski in/out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kosciosco, sorry, omitted the link http://www.locapart-lessaisies.com/planning.htm
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
actually, there are loads of places - for £1500 you could get a 3-bedroom apartment and nobody would have to sleep on the sofa. But maybe not in one of the big name resorts, and if you look at the likes of peak retreats their prices for that week are very high.

Are you planning to drive from the UK? Who will be taking lessons? What sort of resort do you like?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We will be driving from the Uk. I think everyone will be taking lessons apart from me.

My personal preference is for big resorts with plenty of mileage and my friend (dad) has been spoilt because I took him to Meribel for his first trip.

However I think a reasonable sized ski area should suffice, preferably one with fewer runs over a bigger area rather than lots of similar runs over a small area (thinking Alpe d'Huez) and a nice resort with a few good restaurants and bars.

Of course key is a good English speaking ski school

Any suggestions as websites to check out? This is unfamiliar to me as I always go to catered chalets

Thanks

Sid
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kosciosco, any resort website should have links to accommodation providers. Ski school is indeed key - you might look at Les Gets, and the British alpine Ski School (BASS) though Les Gets will be rammed at half term.

If the others have ski school for half the day, your own mileage will be limited, I would have thought, if you will be meeting up with them.

Depending on your friend's school holidays it might be worth looking at an April trip. Far cheaper and less crowded.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is Easter not a little too late next year?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ask your friend when his holidays are - many schools are off from early April, which is fine if you avoid the lower resorts. Infinitely preferable to half term, especially if you plan to drive (driving to resorts at half term is a real pain unless you are very careful with your timing).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Consider Valle D'Aosta - in Italy there is no massive holidays period during half term.
So less inflated prices, no overfilled slopes, and lots of accomodation choices.

Do a search on "Champoluc" on this forum and you'll get lots of discussions including those about accomodation.
Champoluc seems to be by far the most popular resort in Valle d'Aosta amongst UK skiers.

And there's a number of sizeable resorts in France that are less well known, and less expensive.
Search outside the big Savoie resorts. For instance:
-Val Cenis (100+ km of slopes, skipass covers a number of surrounding resorts; totaling to about 250 km)
-Serre Chevalier (250 km of slopes, authentical village, good price-quality relation for accomodation; hardly any concrete slabs and mainly small appartment block and quite a large number of nice chalets)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, I think the Valle D'Aosta would be a good idea, though you'd still need to grapple with the half term traffic down to the Mont Blanc tunnel. As for "smaller" French resorts, I stay in one (which is the one I have linked to above) and it's very busy at half term. Maybe not as busy as, say, Meribel, but that's not saying much! The very busy French holiday period from mid Feb to mid March sees to that, though there are scarcely any Brits here. And this year I think the UK half term coincides with one of the Paris weeks, the worst of the lot. If you can find somewhere suitable in Pila or similar, it would be well worth considering.

But early April would be better. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kosciosco, many (but not all ) schools are actually returning from their break on the Tuesday after Easter
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Check the link in my signature to the just started FB page for our new chalet. Self catering within 15 minutes to the lifts in Avoriaz or Morzine. ABout as english speaking an area as you will find in France I guess, you'll each get a bedroom, and about 8 hours from the ferry terminals I think.

PM me if you are interested. Ive had a few people look at that week so far, but nothing booked as yet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kosciosco: Bergmeister, who is stuck with school hols due to Mrs B being a teacher, swears by Dorfgastein/Gastein Valley in Austria after going there this year. Very reasonable apartment prices and (compared to France) relatively deserted slopes.

I'm in the process of arranging a week there in January.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sid, we going to L2A, wifey is booked in with Easiski for lessons (Charlotte) who also manages various appartments within the resort, all less than the price you are stating. Charlotte is a fantastic instructor - she is English and very proficient in French having lived there for quite a while. Might be worthwhile contacting her for the apartments and lessons combined....I know it will be busy but we are in the same position as you, so will just have to live with it. Easiski website http://easiski.com/.
Have also been to Pila, a lovely area to ski, very cheap and not half as busy as L2A. We stayed at these apartments (british owned - http://www.terra-alpina.com/index.jsp), you have to drive 20 minutes to get to the Aosta lift upto Pila (20mins). Hope this helps.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kosciosco, We can find you either a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment for half term week well within your budget. They are mainly privately owned apartments close to the lifts in Champagny which is part of the La Plagne ski area.
The ski school is EDF and they have English speaking instructors, we hear good reports about them from most of our clients.
PM if that is of any interest.
latest report
Schools in my area (Bucks) break up 4th April. They don't vary the schools as much as the actual easter holidays vary. I've been when the schools break up the last few years. If you go to Paradiski or similar no matter what the weather does you will be skiing. However, it is undoubtedly very variable and could be challenging for your party. The pro's however are long days, uncrowded pistes, easy drive in and out, accomodation far cheaper. You pays your money and makes your choice.

La Rosierre comes to mind though I've never been there.

Also, I seem to remember the SHs have reported back that the slopes have been less busy the last couple of half terms.
snow report
Layne, La Ros is South facing so probably not the best choice for April.
snow conditions
try www.meribelbrides.com
snow report
Personally I wouldn't go to Meribel at half term (too crowded) or April (risk of being very slushy.
ski holidays
kosciosco, Have a look at latania.co.uk. There are a number of places you can book direct. We have used one called Chalet le formier which is owned by a British guy. It will be busy at half term in France but we have had some good holidays
ski holidays
Have checked my friends school calendar, they don't break up until Friday 11th. Although i agree that from a crowding and expense perspective going in Easter makes more sense, and we did this year, im always a tad nervous about going in Easter that late in the year.

However I suppose we could head to Val Thorens which would mitigate some of the risk. I'll take a look at pricing then, the pricing is too good to not consider it. Any other resorts worth considering at that time of year?

Thanks

Sid
latest report
Quote:

Any other resorts worth considering at that time of year?

well, Tignes is one of the obvious ones I suppose.
snow conditions
Les Deux Alpes hasn't let me down for the last 7 Easter holidays.

I've always managed to organise good half term February SC breaks too. St Sorlin (twice 2006/7), Zermatt (2009), Laax (2010), St Anton (2011) and last year Alpe D'Huez (although ours was a week earlier than most) all worked out reasonable.
latest report
I really like LDA but I'm assuming that at Easter you won't be able to ski back to resort? Also, is it suitable for beginners?
ski holidays
kosciosco, Except for 2012, when everywhere was bad and L2A was a lot better than most, there's always been at least the Valentin open. This year and on a couple of other years all runs back have been open. Other years have been somewhere in between. There are absolute beginner runs at resort level and on the Cretes. There are greens and blues further up that stand virtually no chance of not being open at that time of year.
ski holidays
kosciosco, yes, I think LDA would be good, too - provided your beginners aren't obsessed with "skiing back to resort". They could maybe have some lessons with easiski! Like Claude B I can vouch for her tuition and also for the accommodation she manages - very honestly described and good value.
snow report
To be honest if we go Easter then no need to self cater, can stay in a catered chalet. Might take a look at LDA, would be good to explore it further
snow conditions
Another vote for the Aosta Valley. We're in Pila and it's much quieter than the French resorts and should be cheaper as well for february half term. I'm sure there will be apartments available in our building for that week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosciosco, given the group make up and the fact you can't get out until 11th April I'd be inclined to go with the half term option. Just on account of the slope conditions will be better for the couple and their son. Clearly you know the know what needs to be done to keep costs down and to minimise the effects of the crowds... so you should be OK.

We've skied at christmas and easter because my wife struggles to get time off at half term. But our kids are/were young so less affected by slope closures, some slushy slopes. Must admit from a general point of view I've enjoyed the christmas trips a lot more. We may start going out of holidays as they get older. But clearly teachers can't do that!

Good luck with your decision/search.
snow conditions
snowtrex.co.uk

Try Valmeinier, Chamrousse, or any of the similar 2nd division French resorts.
ski holidays
Mr Pieholeo, Valmeinier looks like a good cheaper option with access to 3V via Orelle, good for one or two day trips
snow report
If you consider easter, you must not only aim high (as in altitude) but also consider the orientation versus the sun.

I've been to all large french areas (3V, espace killy (tignes + val), paradiski etc etc
In april, large parts of the 3V are very slushy. Especially around Meribel, and Les Menuires.
Espace Killy is far better in that respect. Quantity of snow equal or even a bit more than in 3V, but the quality is far better.

In Aosta valley, Cervinia is a safe bet @ easter. Normally you can ski down to the village until mid-end may. This year even until the beginning of june. Lifts are closed by then of course. In general, in Aosta valley you get far better value for money than in the Savoie. The only thing is, the proportion of UK visitors is far lower.
For me (I'm dutch) if anything, having LESS people from my country around me is a bonus, not a problem. I like to discover the hidden gems.
ski holidays
Onnem wrote:
For me (I'm dutch) if anything, having LESS people from my country around me is a bonus, not a problem. I like to discover the hidden gems.

Have you met Stanton? Laughing
ski holidays
I think Valmeinier in half term looks like a better bet, great deals to be had, perfect for beginners and the snow conditions will be good for them. I hate skiing on slush, so I can only imagine what a beginner would make of it. Plus I can always jump in the car, park at Orelle and go play in Val Thorens if I get bored.

Just wondering though whether Valmenier is better or Valloire? Seem to be more ski school options in the latter.
snow report
Quote:

Just wondering though whether Valmenier is better or Valloire?

Valloire would be a better base - there's a lot more there, though you can ski the whole area from either. It's a very nice area though your ski schoolers might not find a wholly English speaking class - you could expect the instructor to be able to speak the necessary English for instruction, but if other members of the group are French quite a bit of the talk would naturally be in French.
ski holidays
When I did it we stayed in Valmeinier. Valloire is definitely a prettier base, but costs a bit more. Question of priorities as usual.

Orelle is definitely accessible, and when we went we planned a few day trips to there and e.g. Les Karellis. In the end though, Valloire/Valmeinier was enough for the week.

We had ski schoolers in the group, and it was pretty typical. ESF with English speaking instructors, although not at a fluent level.

Valmeinier (I mean the bit at 1800, not sure about the old town) is a steep and slightly annoying village. Certain dwellings are seriously inconvenient, so worth doing a bit of homework on that score.
ski holidays
Quote:

In the end though, Valloire/Valmeinier was enough for the week

We found that too - also stayed in Valmeinier, bargain basement with snowcoach. the link to Valloire was a pain but I think it's a lot better now - skiing in Valloire was better, and more extensive. I'd certainly not bother trekking off to spend a lot of money skiing elsewhere at half term - you are going to escape the crowds, right?

My kids and others from the hotel found lots of fun off-piste between runs and in ditches full of bushes and rocks in Valloire that they assured me was quite safe. rolling eyes They were all on the hated blades, too. wink

We had two younger kids in the group who were in ESF lessons in Valmeinier. They got on fine, once the cocky one had discovered that she couldn't actually do it after just one lesson.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy