Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing - France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Where is the best place? I fancy a trip over from home (Morzine) but can't decide between Tignes and Alp D'uez...

Or is it just not worth it? I'm curious to give it a go but concerned it might be absolutely rubbish!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello Joe,

I am just back from Tignes after taking a race team training last Monday (29th July) we had a great dump of snow on the glacier it was like skiing in the winter, in fact when we went to get the fanicular up the next morning it was delayed an hour or so due to the cables being iced up & needed clearing by hand lol

I have not checked since we got back but it should still be in good condition infact it had more snow coverage this year than last due to the great winter I hope you enjoy it

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 14-08-13 16:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Joe_BnB, Alpe d'Huez will indeed be rubbish, as they don't open the glacier for skiing in the summer. 2Alpes should be OK though.

My personal opinion is that generally it's not worth the frankly very expensive lift ticket. However, if you've never done it before it's worth going once just for the surrealism value of being up there on skis surrounded by a green and summer landscape.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haha... doh, meant 2Alpes.. Those 2 resorts seem to mould into one in my mind!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Summer skiing stopped in Tignes on the 4th Aug , the glacier is still open for sightseers but shut for skiing , reopened in sept .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
2Alpes it is then.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, I believe Alpe D'Huez did open for skiing this summer for the first time in forever, as Easiski blogged about it, and I think had a trip over with a few others.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

My personal opinion is that generally it's not worth the frankly very expensive lift ticket

I've done it several times but always with good lessons - then you only need a small amount of terrain. I wouldn't bother just to stooge around, especially when there are loads of racers making it a mission to get up the mountain early in the morning and taking up much of the available space. Though it is good to see so many very good skiers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went to Tignes once years ago - would not repeat but on the other hand very pleased to have done it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
We went to Tignes once years ago - would not repeat but on the other hand very pleased to have done it.

On the other hand....Some snowHead (like me and Mrs MA) love any skiing, anywhere, any time of year. So much so that it's more a way of life than a hobby and we ski/ski tour whenever and wherever we can all year round - including a couple of ski days at Tignes every summer. What's not to enjoy about 20km of piste, lovely spring snow and 600m vertical in high summer? We love it and can't wait for our next trip there in the autumn.

Each to their own and all that but, in my opinion, those who have the means to do otherwise but ski only mega-areas in full winter snow cover are really missing out.

Quote:
My personal opinion is that generally it's not worth the frankly very expensive lift ticket

This summer Tignes was charging €31.50 (IIRC) for skiing from 07.30 until 13.00. That's reasonable in my book - especially compared to Xscape or similar at £20-odd per hour.

Go for it Joe BnB - you may well be converted to summer skiing for life Very Happy.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

What's not to enjoy about 20km of piste, lovely spring snow and 600m vertical in high summer?

It's definitely better than sitting doing nothing on a hot beach BUT whilst I love the mountains year-round, it doesn't always have to be skiing for me. I am about to go out on a walk, just out of my door, no cars/roads/lifts/crowds/expensive restaurants. Just stupendous views, flowers, wild raspberries (though not many ripe at higher altitudes yet), cows with bells, Mont Blanc shimmering in the distance. I will enjoy the snow when it comes but in the meantime I am not wishing the summer away; it's just as good.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Just stupendous views, flowers, wild raspberries (though not many ripe at higher altitudes yet), cows with bells, Mont Blanc shimmering in the distance.

Stop it now ! I'm sat in an office and the only view is of a car park !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
....stupendous views, flowers, wild raspberries (though not many ripe at higher altitudes yet), cows with bells, Mont Blanc shimmering in the distance. I will enjoy the snow when it comes but in the meantime I am not wishing the summer away; it's just as good.
Which is exactly why Mrs MA and I to the Alps every summer (and the UK moors, dales and mountains every weekend/as much as we can when we're not in the Alps) for mountain biking and hiking as well as skiing. We just love the mountains and outdoor pursuits Very Happy .

So I mostly agree - though as much as I also love mountain biking and hiking, I do find myself dying for winter to come round and if I could do one final activity in a last wish scenario....it would be a waist deep powder run Smile....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I do find myself dying for winter to come round

Yep, it's that time of the year as the end of August approaches and you know it's around the corner. My wife thinks I'm bonkers - I was sat on holiday reading a skiing book last week, getting odd looks from other holidaymakers !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy