Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas week, resort reachable from Lyon, 2 blue/red run skiers and a 4yr old?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I'm thinking of getting my parents over to Western Europe for their first skiing outside Romania. And getting my son on skis for the first time. For various reasons the best period is from about 23 Dec to 2 Jan.

The only cheap (by this I mean not hugely expensive) flight option they have is to Lyon.

Both have skied for a long time, but they are happy on blue, perhaps red runs. Black runs and offpiste are pretty much out of the question.

I'm looking for a place that would not break the bank and would have a reasonable likelihood of getting snow (yep I know there can't be any certainty at that time). It would be good if it had a resort atmosphere, though no ski-in ski-out required.

Should I get rooms in a chalet or an apartment?

And an important question: do I have the chance of getting a good deal, or any deal at all, if I leave booking until late? (and is there much chance of getting something else than the standard Sat-to-Sat period?)

Finally: I'm an advanced skier, but on this trip that's less important. However, if there's nothing else to set apart two or three options...

Thanks a lot for any advice!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cedric, any of the higher purpose built villages of La Plagne would be reasonably snow sure and give access to huge areas of blue and red cruising. Possibility of popping over to Les Arcs on the Vanoise Express cable car. I've always used hotels in Belle Plagne but there are loads of s/c apartments and 'chalets' which are usually 3 or 4 storey blocks - not so many of the traditional idea of a chalet. BP is the nicest bit of LP and has some atmosphere altho' that is not something any part of LP is noted for. Good access to ESF ski school for your son. I know you said ski-in /out not necessary but it's a bonus in LP.

The quality Sundays are talking now of the possibility of discounts on Xmas packages but how long they will last once snow starts to fall is anyone's guess. Good luck.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cedric, La Rosiere would be ideal but I'm not sure you would get a chalet for that week, you could try my son on www.morealps.com, last time I spoke to him he had a few spaces, he's also a snowhead. Alternatively one of the local hotels still has availability for that week, I know because I've just enquired on behalf of a guest, the hotel is the Relais de Saint Bernard. It's ideally located, right next to the main lifts and the beginner's slopes. You can access the hotel via the La Rosiere Tourist Office website, if you go to our website www.tracksvacations.com you'll find a link to the La Rosiere website and accomodation is a click through from there. Good luck, hope you find something.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cedric - How flexible are you on dates? We have availability in our chalet in Alpe D'Huez for the 4 of you but our christmas week is from the 20th-27th December. We also include flights from Gatwick - Grenoble in our packages normally but I am happy to give you a price that is excluding flights if that is better for you. If you organise your own flights into Lyon it is about a 2 and a 1/2 hour transfer and we would be happy to organise that for you. We are also currently offering 10% discount on our Chirstmas week - so that plus your addition 5% discount for being a snowhead should make it a resonable price for you. Have a look at our website for more details www.skialacarte.co.uk or PM me for more information.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just to say, thanks for the replies so far, I'm about to take a decision in the next couple of days and your comments are very useful.

David, is there any advanced skiing in La Rosiere? I'm going to have a number of hours for myself during the day...

katski, it's unlikely I could manage those dates...but if you offer weekend accommodation I'll try to come some other time during the season!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cedric, there are 3 black runs in La Rosiere and a few more in La Thuile, the runs in La Thuile are very steep and challenging, especially when icy, they're also long. The off-piste is usually very good both in La Rosiere and La Thuille, especially La Thuille, as most Italian skiers seem to prefer beautifully smooth pistes. Off-piste above Fourclaz and Picollo San Bernardo is usually very good and the off-piste off the back of the fort in La Rosiere is one of the steepest I ever seen. You do need a guide to get the best out of the area
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David@traxvax, Ski technician i spoke to said that when the blacks are icy in La Thuile he is always inundated with renters claiming their skis need re-edging. The skis are generally all fine. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les arcs has lots of very flattering (i.e unscary) pistes, and good kids facilities - not sure on the transfer time from lyon though - I've always been on the train to bourg? Depending on flight times may be able to do the transfer by train though? Couple of guys on here own apts there - check out chalets and apartments forum...or I have sucess with both erna low and myfrenchchalet (.com .co??) at getting non standard dates there.

www.peakretreats.com have a variety of stuff - I'm going to LDA with them (from lyon - £200 for a minibus for Cool from the 26th to the 2nd.

aj xx
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cedric - Shame about the Christamas dates. We have a short break from the 10th - 14th Jan other than that is is all 7 day holidays. Let me know if you are interested though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cedric, what about here? Should suit everyone in your party. They're starting with the nursery slope cannons now, so by Xmas, even if there isn't much else below 2,600 the kiddie will be OK. You know there's plenty for you! Should be good for your parents too. Have they tavelled much in western europe? If not you don't want to take them to a concrete jungle! La rosiere is nice, but the transfer is pretty long. As you know Lyon isn't too bad from here. snowHead snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cedric,

Why not try Val Cenis I seem to remember from the thread that you have been there. Skiing above and below tree line reasonably attractive good red and blues. My children really enjoyed there lessons there last Easter and the instructors seemed generally enthusiastic for your son.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy