Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good resort for off-piste snowboarding

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Myself and some mates will be going on a "boys' trip" in mid-March 2014. Most of us are good snowboarders, though there may be 1 skier too.

Any recommendations for good resorts for this?

Criteria are:
- not too expensive
- France/Austria/Italy (Switzerland is going to be too expensive with the £/CHF rate)
- lots of off-piste opportunities (easily-accessible would be good; we may get a guide for one of the days, but probably won't want to be doing big hikes)
- probably not Chamonix, as we did that this year and - whilst is was awesome - we want to try something new.
- at least SOME nightlife/apres.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
2Alpes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
St Foy lots of off piste easy to get too as well, night life is a bit on the DIY side but the Pitch Bar is very good Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mayrhofen has lots of easy access OP and good lively après.

Typical Easter conditions

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimboS what parts of the Maryhofen area were best for off-piste? Also in which hotel/apartment did you stay?

boardiac my favourite European off-piste resorts have been Val d'Isere, around the Solaise area, especially because in the week before Easter when I was there it seemed like most people stayed on piste, and best of all Engelberg but that is in Switzerland.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not much help here really. Noone looking to encourage snowboarders to their favourite resorts
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hd wrote:
JimboS what parts of the Maryhofen area were best for off-piste? Also in which hotel/apartment did you stay?

I have stayed in a lot of different places in Mayrhofen, a few I can remember are Landhaus Gasser, Landhaus Monika, Strass, Mannies, Blumenhaus , Perauer, Roscher, Glockenstul, Brucke, Windschnur, Bruggerhof, Maria Theresia, are a few as well as the Schneekar Hutte on the hill.

From the top of the Penken there are a bunch of reds and blacks heading off over the back, there is plenty of easy access op between the runs, I have marked up a couple of short but fun ones on the right because they don't get tracked out so quickly, you can either head out to the run on the right or if there is deep snow then track directly down under the Nordhangbann, very steep and tricky/short but great when you have an audience above you, bad if you screw it up.

Some pics from about 2001 under the lift towards the bottom of the red line.

Heading round to the right a bit you have the run down from the top of the 150 man gondola. The further to the right the less tracked out it becomes.

Same area from a different angle, there is a nice defined route shown by the line or you can pick your way down anywhere on the circle.

Now looking over to the other side of the valley I'm showing two runs down from the Schneekarhutte on the right. The leftmost is a run down from the top of the 150man and the one to the right of that is from the top of the Horbergjoch.

The dotted circle is for hardcore only, I cant believe how quickly it gets tracked out though, I have never tried it.

The next pic is just after dropping in to the leftmost line from the top of the 150man and the one below that is a bit further into the run.

Next is the enty point at the top of the Horbergjoch just outside the lift.

A bit further into the run.

further down there a few buildings to have fun on.

http://youtube.com/v/UYpA8y6CDaU

Looking back across the valley to the Horberg mountain, there are good runs here too.

and from a different angle

This is a pic from the top of the solid line above.

and after dropping in.

Back up the Horbergjoch lift you can track down under that too.

Now that is just a small sample of what is available either directly from lift or within a few mins walk of a lift. But take care as avalanches do occur in these areas, particularly up death valley.

Now on to the last two pics, the bottom one is from Easter this year, the other is a stock pic I found.

This mountain has no lift so these guys must have hiked for half a day to get there, but it looks worth it.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 14-11-13 18:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow! thanks JimboS.

Looks amazing and Mayrhofen has moved way up the list now.

The area in the dotted circle in the pic just after the death valley video looks pretty gnarly. Have you tried it?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One on my list, that I haven't skied yet, is Obertauern. Google it and you'll see why...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JimboS, That's a great overview of Mayrhofen, nice one!!!

I want to throw in a slight cautionary warning, the solid line and dotted oval on the side of Horberg mountain/schafkopf thing SLIPS ALL THE TIME!! Please be double confident of the snow before trying it!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dulcamara wrote:
JimboSI want to throw in a slight cautionary warning, the solid line and dotted oval on the side of Horberg mountain/schafkopf thing SLIPS ALL THE TIME!! Please be double confident of the snow before trying it!

Agreed, always check the snow conditions, you can see a slip on this slope in picture 7 above, it aint called the valley of death for nothing.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 14-08-13 13:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boardiac wrote:
The area in the dotted circle in the pic just after the death valley video looks pretty gnarly. Have you tried it?

As per above post, it is not to tricky in good conditions as long as there is a stable pack, in fact it does get tracked out really quick is it is so accessible from the lift up to the Schneekarhutte.

See here.

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From where you are standing is a nice run down Wangl !! not a bad idea to look at it from in front first though!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy