Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My legs aren't straight....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
kitenski, he might be going for his test technique to open up the possibility of working in France?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski, gates training is good for all-round technical development, as well as being lots of fun. My longs have always been strong, and I think a major factor in that is the gates training I've done (including with the coach that spud is referring to).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
kitenski, gates training is good for all-round technical development, as well as being lots of fun. My longs have always been strong, and I think a major factor in that is the gates training I've done (including with the coach that spud is referring to).

Many thanks for all the reply's peeps... I'll try a few of them out. All are worth looking into.

Exactly this... what Rob@rar says...

It is a bit of a nightmare though... fitting in with my Certification path. I always think the Canadian and Australian 'way' looks the strongest to me. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Here's a technical comparison from many of the Nations Demo teams... showing 'their' way. I ski most like the Italians haha

What do you reckon... just for fun like Razz

http://youtube.com/v/UicEwrNR_JQ
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spud wrote:
Believe it or not Kenny, Yes, apparently so... which is nuts isn't it?

Thanks for the youtube clip of Genevieve... I can see similarities in the way she positions her legs to how I do it. I was told by my coach it is common in skiers who have a
wider pelvic area. Maybe this is the case... it's just down to physicality.

Britt Janyk is a slightly, ahem, different shape to Genevieve so the A framey is less obvious. Interestingly it becomes more apparent as she matures and fills out. Same technique, similar career (1 WC win each).

Britt Janyk

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 15-08-13 21:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spud wrote:
What do you reckon... just for fun like

I see a bunch of people who don't look as fit as they think they are. Or maybe just spent too long in the bar the night before.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:

That could explain why my longs are sh*t* then Very Happy

but it seems to me spud is being told (for gates) Don't ski like an instructor, so the point I am trying to make is I guess you need to get in the right mindset for the type of skiing you are going to be doing, whether it be instructor assessment, client demo, gates etc etc
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, have to confess that I don't know what "[do or don't] ski like an instructor" means. The little bit of gates training I've done involved doing some drills away from the course when technical precision and repeatability are important, and then get in to the gates where the only criterion is to go fast. No priority is given to skiing with a particular style.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers again chaps... Loving the Britt Jank Tribute. You can see it more in her long turns... her short turns are completely different though.

As for 'Stop skiing like a ski Instructor'. I've always been told as an Instructor to turn and steer my ski's by pivoting as well as angulating and inclining. They want to see steering by pivoting and not just by laying the skis on edge.

During gate training... I had to get rid of any 'pivoting' unless necessary, and to rely on edge angles from inclination, angulation and pressure control. Hope that makes sense?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spud, surely as an instructor you are assessed on, and required to teach, all ways of steering your skis? Skiing longs requires a cleanly executed carved turn, with minimal pivoting, and I certainly teach carving (when normally the biggest challenge is getting rid of the pivotted entry to the turn). I've never been told when on instructor courses that all my turns should have an element of twisting/pivoting the skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:
spud wrote:

I see a bunch of people who don't look as fit as they think they are. Or maybe just spent too long in the bar the night before.

+1

Most of that was painful to the eyes and ears.

Looked more like 1991 than 2011.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spud wrote:
Cheers again chaps... Loving the Britt Jank Tribute. You can see it more in her long turns... her short turns are completely different though.

She gave up slalom to concentrate on the speed events early in her career so that was 'young Britt'.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow wrote:
rjs wrote:
spud wrote:

+1

Most of that was painful to the eyes and ears.

Looked more like 1991 than 2011.

Yeah baby!

Interski 1991. Probably
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kenny wrote:
spud wrote:

She gave up slalom to concentrate on the speed events early in her career so that was 'young Britt'.

A boot fitter told me the female athletes need their alignment checking regularly as a consequence of maturing and hitting the gym. It isn't considered a fault and he doesn't try to 'correct' it with shims.

Doesn't help you with your L3 though!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
spud, surely as an instructor you are assessed on, and required to teach, all ways of steering your skis? Skiing longs requires a cleanly executed carved turn, with minimal pivoting, and I certainly teach carving (when normally the biggest challenge is getting rid of the pivotted entry to the turn). I've never been told when on instructor courses that all my turns should have an element of twisting/pivoting the skis.

Of course you are right... But I should of said I was thinking when it came to taking my Level 3.

Course Examiners have told me they are looking at that level for you to show active understanding of turning the skis
with the legs. Straight after the skis flatten in the turn, they want to see all the elements depending on the desired turn shape and whether it's to control, maintain or generate speed.

Of course if you wish to generate speed less or no pivoting is required.

Hope you get my drift... my fault for not explaining myself fully earlier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy