Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet check-in at Gatwick: self-service or person?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm flying with Easyjet from Gatwick next week, and I vaguley remember reading that they are converting their check-in desks to self-service machines rather than staffed. Has this happened at Gatwick yet? What's the procedure like, and how do they manage with over-size items such as skis?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar.org.uk, I have used their self-service machines in Geneva. The system worked very well. There were still some check in desks open, taking queries, and dealing with customers who could not use the machines.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've not used Easyjet, but I have used BA self service check-in at Gatwick, and found it to be excellent, even with oversize items like skis. In fact it always amazes me to see the huge queues for the normal desks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's simply an automated way of printing the baggage tags without involvement the check in staff - you still have to go over and check in, show your passport, get the luggage weighed, get asked security questions etc etc. I really couldn't see the Cost Benefit for Easyjet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar.org.uk, I have also used the Geneva easyJet self service and everything went smoothly. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rob, we don't have the automated desks at Gatwick yet, so you'll be talking to a person Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Michelle, thanks. I'll be coming back from Geneva (I think you do have the self-service desks there?) but won't have the skis with me, so hopefully no having to troop around looking for the oversize baggage point.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nottingham East Midlands, Berlin and Geneva are the three airports that are currently using the self service desks.
More info can be found here: http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Flying/leapcheckininfo.html
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Used the self-service desks in Geneva when we came back from PSB. The easiest check-in at Geneva (or anywhere) ever.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

Is it like a 'speak your weight' machine for suitcases?
Does it ask if you've packed your own bags?
Does it make rude remarks about your passport photo?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NorthWestFace, the benefit is that they can have 1 desk serving flights to dozens of destinations...therefore cutting down on the need for at least one desk per flight.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I won a credit card from the machine at East Midlands when I went on the EOSB! The person before me must have used it for the ID process ( I seem to remember it asked for booking number or credit card used to pay) and left it in there by mistake.
David Goldsmith, it does ask the security questions but you still have to check your luggage in at the desk as per usual, they do the passport picture rude remarking as well.

Seems a very good system to me, a lot less hassle for the straightforward traveller but with the back-up of a real live person to shout at as well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B,

Interesting but can't help wondering what stops 1 desk serving many flights anyway?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Call me cynical but spent 16 years working in IT, a lot of this time on projects with no cost benefit - at last this sort of thing keeps me in skiing vouchers!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
NorthWestFace wrote:
Elizabeth B,

Interesting but can't help wondering what stops 1 desk serving many flights anyway?

Some do - I know the German Wings desks in Stansted and Cologne are all flights.

Maybe it's the intelligence of the staff...
ski holidays
Quote:

The easiest check-in at Geneva (or anywhere) ever.

hmm. not when 3 or 4 planes' worth of people + luggage (including skis) are trying to figure out how the machines work at the same time, in an area about the size of my living room. (my experience at Easyjet Geneva last April). Couldn't fault the guy who took the skis on his trolley though; very friendly and helpful.
ski holidays
Alan Craggs, everyone else seemed to be milling around wondering what to do next. We were directed to a machine and checked in within about 5 minutes.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, that's right - it was fighting through the throngs of mystified punters (with luggage) that was the problem. No-one had told them on the way out that it would be machine check-in on the way back.
snow conditions
Self service check in is fantastic if you've only got carry on luggage....as Easyjet has no weight limit it speeds things up no end for those with little trolley bags. BA's online check in is pretty good too....check in on line up to 24hours before, if you've got luggage then you just run past the Fast Bag Drop desk and are done in no time without having to join the mega queue!
snow report
The one I used at Stuttgart airport let me pick my own seat as well, which was cool Cool
snow report
What will all the episodes of airport consist of in the future? Can we wait for such highlights as; The day a ticket got stuck or The day the machine broke down and no one knew what to do! Toofy Grin

Look on the bright side this could hasten the end of the Docu soap Very Happy
ski holidays
Alan Craggs, yeah, Geneva can be a nightmare for most people during the winter season (when the ski charters depart simultaneously). Heavenly otherwise!
snow report
Manda, when I finally got to a machine I was so flustered that I did the whole procedure in French (cursing and praying that I hit the right buttons) before I realised there was a language selector on the home page Toofy Grin

Felt good about it afterwards though Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy