Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

CEM

Poster: A snowHead
A big thankyou and satisfied customers from the gent.

Went down to see Colin yesterday, mainly for new footbeds and boot tweak for SWMBO, post ankle break. I was also considering Zipfit liners.

The new footbeds and boot adjustment was easily sorted for SWMBO Madeye-Smiley

I on the otherhand was informed Zipfits werent the way to go but could be fitted in a boot a size down Shocked Cue new boots, footbeds and a rush on Colins time before his next clients arrrived. A great experience made fun and in a relaxed atmosphere.

So all thats needed is some winter weather and the season to come around to put them to (ab)use

I dont think theres anywhere else I would entertain for boots, well worth the 300+mile round trip.

Thanks again Colin.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
+1 from another satisfied customer Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+2
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+3
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+4
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+5 and my feet really are challenging.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+6
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Any idea approximately what a custom fitted pair of ski boots costs? The other half suffered badly last year at the hands of ill fitting hire boots (despite changing twice!!) and I wouldn't mind a pair myself, so are potentially looking at two pairs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
more than you wanted, but probably less than 2 badly fitted pairs. A good bootfitter will only sell you a pair of boots that are right for your feet and your ability. There a plenty of other good fitters either with the big chains or at the smaller independent retailers and plenty of people around these parts can provide their recommendations as such. For me the time spent with CEM was financially slightly painful, but i now have a pair of boots of the right size that suit my skiing and i will be going back soon to get a pair for mrs ansta1, and possibly junior Ansta1
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, I suspected as much.

After reading on the forums I'm a bit dubious of boot fitters at the larger chains and the Mrs has relatively wide feet with a high instep, so I imagine will need a particularly talented boot fitter! Still got a bit of time before the season but I think a drive to Bicester is in order...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
LT,
Quote:

Still got a bit of time before the season but I think a drive to Bicester is in order...

In terms of boots the season has started, would advise booking it soon Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Crikey, and here's me still looking for forward to my summer hols!

Will do, neither of us fancies another trip in rental boots.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LT wrote:
Yes, I suspected as much.

After reading on the forums I'm a bit dubious of boot fitters at the larger chains and the Mrs has relatively wide feet with a high instep, so I imagine will need a particularly talented boot fitter! Still got a bit of time before the season but I think a drive to Bicester is in order...

I have these issues plus others; go see Colin Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LT, I paid £500 and something about three years ago from memory - the ZipFit liners were around the same amount as the boots as far as I can recall. Also around £100 at the same time as Andy (McCain/McCann??) was there at the same time and adjustments to my skis - I have been very pleased with the boots since, took them back once for a tweak on the top of one but no moans at all. Really important to ring and get an appointment fixed asap though as Colin gets very busy and its not a process that you want to rush.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+2 - from me & t'other half - thanks to Colin and Andi.
snow report
Thanks Pamski, thats given me a ball park figure to work with, and from reading the this thread it appears the ZipFit aren't always a necessity.

From the glowing endorsement's on here we shall certainly be using CEM.
latest report
LT, Boots £250-£400, footbeds £60-£100, Zipfits £200.
latest report
LT wrote:
Thanks Pamski, d it appears the ZipFit aren't always a necessity.

correct
latest report
Thanks Spyderman, I initially had £300 (ish) in my head but did't really take the Zipfit's into consideration too much.

I suppose it all depends on your foot shape/boot, but I'm happy to leave that up to the experts.
snow conditions
LT, Zipfits aren't normally required, but you can always go for them at a later date if needed. I skied the standard liner for ages before I went for zippies, then moved them quite happily into a new shell. Zipfits give an amazing fit once you get over the pain of bedding them in and I really do mean pain.
ski holidays
Spyderman, it was immediately obvious to CEM that the liners which came with the boots he chose for me wouldn't fit, so I got Zipfits straight away. I had no pain, although they were extremely snug and I've only just put the laces back in, but then I don't have race fit boots like you, nor indeed princess-and-the-pea feet like you! wink Luckily, though, my existing footbeds passed muster, and he transferred them to the new boots so that was a bit of a saving.
snow conditions
Like Pedantica, the original liners in the boots would not be the right fit for me - I have quite small feet, about 35 in that euro fitting stuff, pretty small 3 otherwise, so not easy to find many boots. In fact the first time I went to Bicester having told Colin my size he took one look and said, oh, they really are small aren't they. Wasn't a problem as OH was with me and we got him sorted out ok and then I knew the way for going back a couple of weeks later. It was rather a shame to take out the new liners and chuck them out straight away but the zipfits have really worked well for me and given me a snug fit in the boots that was not achievable otherwise. I have always used the laces on the zipfits and do them up really tight - and for the first few days it was certainly agony getting them on. And of course had footbeds fitted as well.
snow conditions
I think I paid about £450 for boots, footbed and fitting with CEM. Returned once for a tweak, for no charge. First few days were agony. Took about ten days of use before they were really loosened up. Up to that point had to loosen the boot clips for every lift ride. Now they are fantastic. Happy
latest report
Thanks all for your input, what a fountain knowledge snowHead is. I now certainly have a better idea of what I'm looking at.
snow report
I have been using Zipfts from CEM. Skied around 175 days so far. No bedding in pain at all. They are lovely. Just about to buy a new shell for them!
ski holidays
I sent my friend Ellie to see Colin last week for her first pair of boots,
Total was £365, inc Superfeet footbeds, didn't need custom footbeds.

One very happy bunny.
snow report
+1 Colin has been really helpful in helping to sort a Garmont Warranty issue I have
latest report
Question for Colin.
You have fitted me in Atomic M100 and there still ace after 3 years ( second pair of liners) and in good condition - heated custom canted shimmed footbeds etc with booster straps - i'm very happy with these boots investing time and money to get them perfect. BUT, I have been told by good Austrian Ski instructors more than once that i should be skiing on 120 flex. I'm a very dynamic skier /fast / icy steeps etc. Apart from the money (which i loose -sorry 'invest' i mean ), i get a quicker reacting / rebounding boots i understand that but my questions is.. what do i loose / sacrifice - are they heavier, can i ski easily all day in them, can i easily make them flex, suitable for off-piste foreys, shallow or deep snow. Are there any downsides to a higher flex rating boot. I ask this because i get a very strong reaction from the snow through to my foot in my present set-up (thanks to you and the Atomics) , feeling like i'm standing / pushing on IRON and just wonder what these instructors see that i don't feel!
Cheers Colin.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tim Heeney, not a lot to lose if you can bend them, and most modern 120s are a truer flex than they would be 5 even 3 years ago, the boots are being engineered better every year, so difficult to know what you will gain if you are happy with what you are in... it can be a bit like a car suspension, currently you have the sporty model, the next level up is more like the top of the range with the full sports kit on it, a bit more responsive but you have to be able to drive it ( i fully expect someone to come along and dissagree with that in a minute) Little Angel
snow report
CEM, Thanks for your reply.
so, 'not a lot to lose if you can bend them' - which i expect i can and, 'a bit more responsive but you have to be able to drive it' -again, i think i can and it will be a pleasure. So that's all to the good. I understand exactly what you're getting at.
But, everything i have invested in has to be binned, is that right. Nothing can be salvaged for the new pair - thinking of heated custom footbeds and canting baseboard shims here. Clearly it all depends on the 120 flex boot model and the shell / liner width etc. Another option would be to keep existing and use in the fridges, keeping stiffer/fast responsive pair for the mountains.
snow report
mongrel dog, you can transfer the footbeds no problem, the shims may be reusable but they may be different angles required in a different boot
snow conditions
mongrel dog, Colin did a set of footbeds for me 7 years ago and they're still going strong in another set of boots. No sign that I'll need new ones anytime soon. That's with 3-4 weeks/year of use snowHead
ski holidays
Sharkymark, Thanks - good to know how long the footbeds will last. Spoke to Colin and to Scott of I.O.S. Most probably stick with present set-up - i get very good feedback from these boots and probably don't do enough skiing to warrant the dosh. It's me that lets the boots down not the other way around. Very Happy

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 15-09-13 14:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Many thanks to CEM for a great official new store opening evening,
not sure what CEM is trying to demo in the photo though Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Sad Shocked
My invite must have got lost in the post. Sad
snow report
boredsurfin, +1
latest report
Oh Sad
ski holidays
the people there were all suppliers to the business or companies who worked on the premises , need to think of an excuse to host a customer one...mind you with the amount of booze consumed by a small number anything bigger could put us out of business
ski holidays
CEM wrote:
the people there were all suppliers to the business or companies who worked on the premises , need to think of an excuse to host a customer one...mind you with the amount of booze consumed by a small number anything bigger could put us out of business

Laughing
ski holidays
CEM, Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy