Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a quiet resort in France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. This is my first post, so please be gentle. Very Happy

We are a family of 4 with 2 boys (7 and 4). We skied Sainte Foye this year and then 2 years prior and were looking forward to going again. The boys are hooked! which is of course fab news for us. Unfortunately the apartment we normally use is booked up for next year (gutted is not the word! Sad ) and so we are having to look for other options. We are stuck with Feb half term which doesn't help I know.

We prefer to self drive, don't need any kind of apres ski, just looking for nice accomm close to a quiet ish resort. I thought there might be private accomm rentals on here, but can't seem to find them. Don't need anything too challenging slopes wise, reds are about our limit, although my 7yr old would love to have a go on one of those jumping pillows if anyone knows where they are?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Le Grand Bornand, Combloux, Morillon, Samoens - 1 hr from Geneva all French family friendly resorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Clarrylove, welcome to snowheads. snowHead nowhere in France is quiet at half term because it's absolutely peak French holiday time too. I have an apartment in Les Saisies. I don't rent it out but there are plenty that do. Few Brits, but still busy at half term - I make myself scarce. Outside peak times it's very quiet, no queues. People who went to Valloire at half term reported it was not bad, and I think Les Contamines also got some good write ups.

Praz sur Arly (linked to Les Saisies by lift) might be worth trying too - it's a fair bit quieter than Les Saisies at half term. The skiing there would suit you - blues and reds, and a fast 6 man chair to get you up the mountain - I have been over there at half term when LS is very busy and found no queues for that lift. There's a jumping pillow in Les saisies but I think they're found pretty well all over, these days. The resort websites are a good place to look for links to accommodation of all sorts.

Praz sur Arly is an easy drive - just a bit further along the road from Megeve (to which it's not linked by lift). The area as a whole has 185kms of lift linked pistes, mostly intermediate, so should suit you well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, Pam. Some fabulous info there. We are starting our search early this year so hopefully we will find something within budget. I will check out those places.

If not, then I think we will have to skip it a year (these darn school absence rules). Really don't want to do that as the boys have the momentum now but I'll be blowed if we are paying triple the price for that week.

Someone we know has skied in Moldova and recommended that (obviously not self drive) and I guess we could explore that option too. Anyone know anything about skiing in Macedonia? Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Clarrylove, you might like Champoluc in Italy and guess what? I know of accommodation ... PM on its way...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Clarrylove, The Les Sybelles resorts (St Sorlin D'Arves, Le Corbier, Les Toussuires, etc) would probably suit. I went there at half term in 2006/7, report here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=277919
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
can t beat Ste Foy....can t you find any othr accomodation ??
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Clarrylove, My apartment is vacant from the 15th Feb right above the deck in Ste Foy?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Clarrylove, Our studio apartment, ideal for a family of 4, is available for half term week. We will be staying there for most of the season but will be back home during the peak holiday weeks. If you want something slightly bigger we can find you other similarly priced, privately owned accommodation for that week.
We are based in Champagny en Vanoise, a relatively quiet, family friendly resort but linked to the La Plagne / Paradiski area.

There is an air bag (jumping pillow) in the snow park above Belle Plagne which is easily accessible from Champagny. You do have to pay extra to use the airbag though.

I will send you a PM (private message) with more details.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fogliettaz, that might be the best option really if we can find something we can afford. Can you please pm me?

Thanks for the various suggestions. Will look through them later with my husband.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

You do have to pay extra to use the airbag though.

I suspect that's the same all over - certainly is in Les Saisies. You can't break your neck for nothing!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Clarrylove, Serre Chevalier would be perfect for you.... 250km of pistes, very quiet town and relatively inexpensive.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Clarrylove, is half term the only time you can do? Christmas in the mountains is great, and a lot less crowded than half term IME. Depending on when the Easter holidays are, that can be excellent. The first half of April provides some super ski conditions (not everywhere, there are some resorts which would not be sensible then, and Praz sur Arly is one of them). Nice long days, not so cold, and in France it's low season for accommodation costs (and ski lessons). Christmas and Easter are both hugely preferable to half term in my book.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Clarrylove, message sent.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tomb wrote:
Clarrylove, Serre Chevalier would be perfect for you.... 250km of pistes, very quiet town and relatively inexpensive.

Generally agree, though watch the timing if driving - one half term it took 18 hours from getting off the ferry to getting on resort (Chantemerle), the last piece of the drive up through the mountains taking over 6 hours in solid traffic. Lyon and Grenoble were also real bottlenecks.
snow report
Quote:

watch the timing if driving

this is key. You need to avoid driving into (or away from) the resorts at the same time as everybody else. Either aim to arrive very early in the morning (which with kids can be problematical because of lack of access to accommodation) or in the early evening, when the traffic jams have died down. Leave either crack of dawn or - better - after a quiet handover day's skiing. Booking hotel rooms for the Friday night, anywhere near the resorts (e.g. Chambery, Albertville, Grenoble) has to be done well in advance is plenty of other people have the same idea.
ski holidays
pam w, This is what we do. It takes all the stress out of the journey. We also leave late on changeover day and stay somewhere a few hours away which means an extra day skiing and a shorter trip home.
snow report
If you get into St Foy then there is a reciprocal arrangement with Tignes for a days reduced pass. Tignes has two free air bags.
ski holidays
Hmmm. half term ........ quiet ........... hmmmmmmm.

Try somewhere like Kronplatz. Look for accommodation on the website at www.kronplatz.com and search for self catering somewhere in St Vigilio or Olang. You should find the skiing good and are less likely to come across many other Brits on half term than in more well known resorts.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Clarrylove, is half term the only time you can do? Christmas in the mountains is great, and a lot less crowded than half term IME. Depending on when the Easter holidays are, that can be excellent. The first half of April provides some super ski conditions

Big fat +1. No idea when the Easter holidays fall, but late March/early April is one of the best times to be in the mountains.

Clarrylove, are you set on France, or open to Switz/Austria/Italy too?
snow report
Saint Martin de Belleville

Good links to the rest of the trios Vallées and still has a traditional feel to it
latest report
If it has to be France, easter is the best family time (low season, long days, warm weather, good piste skiing).

If it has to be half-term, Italy (no hols at that time, Aosta valley easy driving [avoid peak times], Champoluc would be ideal).
snow report
skichampcouk wrote:
Clarrylove, Our studio apartment, ideal for a family of 4.

Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Clarrylove Austria is generally MUCH quieter than France at school hol times....

But if it has to be France, we found the resorts of the Maurienne Valley to be much quieter than we expected during one New Year road trip - some nice family-friendly stuff too (eg St Francois Longchamp, Val Frejus and Valmeinier).

Here's an interesting and very informative article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/8313096/Maurienne-Valley-refreshingly-affordable-skiing-in-France.html
latest report
dennisp, why the shock reaction? The website describes the studio as "ideal for families on a budget" and you can rent it in January or end of March for £295 a week. Sounds good to me. And it's 100m from the main lift - nice village, excellent ski area. A lot of families would not be able to afford ski holidays if they insisted on palatial accommodation and many would much prefer a smaller apartment near the lifts and facilities than a bigger one further away (which is often the trade-off).
latest report
Sorry, wasn't being rude, but family,studio, and ideal doesn't sound like it goes together to me.

Understand the trade off thing and apologise if it came across wrong
snow report
Les Contamines for me. Easy drive, not too big nor too small, fabulous setting under Mt Blanc. Plenty of easy runs (and some challenging stuff too).
latest report
Clarrylove, here you go. 1100 quid including 4 lift passes.
https://www.snowtrex.com/en/personalised_offer.html?ang_id=3469423&k=03094c8981ef6051640bf8ebd0660feb17119b59&code=2248&__utma=205033298.864454863.1376090325.1376090325.1376090325.1&__utmb=205033298.3.10.1376090325&__utmc=205033298&__utmx=-&__utmz=205033298.1376090325.1.1.utmcsr%3D%28direct%29%7Cutmccn%3D%28direct%29%7Cutmcmd%3D%28none%29&__utmv=-&__utmk=181932196
http://www.mountainpassions.com/winter_ski/resort_reviews/alps/ski_chamrousse.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman wrote:
Les Contamines for me. Easy drive, not too big nor too small, fabulous setting under Mt Blanc. Plenty of easy runs (and some challenging stuff too).

+1. We went late French holidays earlier this year and it was deserted in comparison to the big name resorts. Sometimes we had to wait in lift queues for nearly a minute Smile Some nice gentle runs down the middle and a few nice big wide reds but I never got to enjoy them more than once. Pesky kids with no sense of fear :grrrr:
snow report
More replies! I can't keep up. Lol. Fab to see such an active website though and so many and knowledgeable skiers!

I guess we could go at Easter.... My thinking was that as Easter is so late next year (schools break up on 4 April) we might be unlucky with the snow. We would need the higher resorts I guess....more investigation required. We were thinking France as the closest for driving.

I don't think a studio is for us really. We like to put the kids to bed and relax with a film and a glass of wine. Would rather have more space and be further from the slopes ....or dare I say it, stay at home. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Clarrylove, are you an Archers fan?
snow conditions
This thread is probably very relevant:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2149541

Half-term skiing in France isn't always rammed:
latest report
Clarrylove, the first half of April should be fine in many places, though not the lowest resorts. There is plenty of accommodation available and in France it's low season, so you don't really need to decide now if you are self-driving. Most seasons you would be OK in most resorts in the northern Alps but it's sensible to wait and see.
latest report
Laundryman - yes! Do you, erm..., do a lot of laundry? Very Happy
snow report
Clarrylove, not if I can help it!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Clarrylove, the first half of April should be fine in many places, though not the lowest resorts. There is plenty of accommodation available and in France it's low season, so you don't really need to decide now if you are self-driving. Most seasons you would be OK in most resorts in the northern Alps but it's sensible to wait and see.

+1, if there's no need to book flights, wait and see how the season pans out, then book accomm nearer the time in whichever area is looking best.
latest report
Clarrylove, We would have offered you our 3 bedroom apartment but that booked up some time ago.
I do know of a couple of good quality 2 bedroom apartments still available, a bit further away from the slopes , maybe 200 to 250 metres.
They are still relatively good value, one in particular and we have stayed in both in the past so can recommend them from personal experience.

PM if that seems of interest and I will send you more details.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy