Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Doing a season... How old is too old..?

Poster: A snowHead
This is possibly a 'soon-to-be-30' crisis but I want to do a season in France.

It's something I wish I'd done years ago and I was wondering whats is the oldest anyone knows of someone putting life on hold..?

~Mac
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

whats is the oldest anyone knows of someone putting life on hold.

a great deal older than "soon-to-be-30" - go for it!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
never too late...

30!!! you have at least 60 seasons ahead of you...

I didn't even start skiing until I was much much much older than 30 and then did 2 seasons, and am now impatiently waiting for my 3rd...

At 30 you should possibly be looking at a transfer driver job (reasonable money compared to other season jobs and 3-4 days a week of skiing)

Google Go Massif, Skiidy Gonzales, Alpibus, Action Transfers and send them all an email...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
or write to me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nixmap, Toofy Grin

That's another option

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 8-08-13 22:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As a Pro Skibum My life has been on hold for 30+ yrs Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did a season at 30ish... but as a bum not working, there were others working in there late 30's and others even in their 50's...

You're never too old...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't think I can afford to be a SkiBum unfortunately, would definately need a job!

Just need to wait for a natural 'lull' in my career, Then I'm all over it!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Almost 30 is definitely not too old. I did my first season mid 20's thinking I'd be one of the oldest, turns out I was far from it. Just be warned tho, they are addictive, I was only going to do the one and now, approaching 30, I am about to do my 6th Winter (also done 2 summers).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Doing my first season this year and just north of 30. I've got wife and kids with me so I suppose thats not the regular season experience. wink

Good luck and make sure you find a job that allows you to ski more than not. Don't really see the point otherwise.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Husband and I went out and did our last season at 29 and 34 - he was a driver for Skiidy and loved it!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
30! I'm doing a mini season, 7 weeks, at 55 next winter Very Happy Working? No chance Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton wrote:
As a Pro Skibum My life has been on hold for 30+ yrs Very Happy

I've found a new idol!

Did my first season (and learnt to ski fir on my 32nd birthday) last winter at 31/32, cant wait for this winter.

Nick
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm 52 and think I've found my vocation. Now to convince the missus that me going to the alps for 5 months will reinvigorate our marriage Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
This is possibly a 'soon-to-be-30' crisis
Truly hilarious - says just been 50 Toofy Grin.......

Without exception, all of the just over and just under 30 year olds I work with view this as some kind of disaster, with their lives seemingly over. WTF is wrong with them all? Is 30 really the new 85 or is rational thinking and a normal outlook on ageing and life distorted by endless viewing of X Factor, Geordie Shore and all that TOWIE $h1t€ or something?? They also all think that 'by now' they should be earning about £100k PA, married to a supermodel and living in a 5 bedroom detached house.....AAAGGGHHHH!!

Honestly, it's all totally beyond me....

Anyway, must go - bedtime cocoa (aka the secret of eternal youth) is almost ready.
ski holidays
Mac22, You are never to old!! I have been doing seasons for over 10 years and it is great fun. Make it happen, you will enjoy it!! PS. I think it is much better if you save enough money so you do not have to work and can get out every time the fresh snow arrives. Live the dream!! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Well, I'm 39. My son has just turned 3. I intend on doing a season when he's old enough to look after himself, so maybe another 14 or 15 years, by which time I'll be mid 50's. Indeed, I can't help thinking/hoping it might be cool if we could both do a season together, but hey, this being a dad thing is still relatively shiny Very Happy

Until then, I'll just be doing as many weeks as I can Smile
ski holidays
Thank FFT! Laughing
Claude B, My hero! wink
snow report
Mac22, Your never too old . . . I'll be doing my first this year and I'm heading back to wearing diapers . . . snowboarding trews have a bit more bag in the butt so no more VNL (visible nappy line) . . . The trick, apparently, is to ease yourself into the apres and actually use the time to improve your health and skills rather than just destroy your liver and get labelled as a pervy old letch, though if the shoe fits . . .

60 is the new teenage Twisted Evil dance like it's 1966
snow report
Masque, i thought that becoming a pervy old letch was the whole point. Damn, I think I had better cancel my plans for doing a season at the age of 50.
snow conditions
Tarquin, Don't take the p!ss just because it's your birthday wink
ski holidays
What an odd question...
latest report
Well I am just about to do my first season at 51. Dont think too much, just do it. Off to Les Arcs in December 13 and cant wait. Theres lots of casual work around if you really want it, and I cant imagine there are many people who can afford to do a season without working. Very Happy
ski holidays
I'd say when you're dead you may have left it too late. But you're a fool if you haven't managed it by then.
latest report
I once met a guy who was 70 doing a season, he did not look or act 70... so go for it
ski holidays
Quote:
I once met a guy who was 70 doing a season, he did not look or act 70... so go for it
Good point Insiders. Could it be that Mac22 is 29....but looks and acts 70 Toofy Grin??
ski holidays
Every season this "Doing a season... How old is too old" kind of theme comes up.

I always refer folk to the late Captain Jack.

http://www.telluridemagazine.com/telluride-faces/jack-carey/

Google or Youtube or look him up on Youtube
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Good point Insiders. Could it be that Mac22 is 29....but looks and acts 70 Toofy Grin??

Thanks for that..! Don't look or act 70, but do mostly feel it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mac22,
Quote:
Don't look or act 70, but do mostly feel it!
. . . What you feel now? Just wait till you're getting close. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
If I thought my marriage would survive it I'd be tempted. And I'm 65.
snow conditions
I'm 32, so younger than most responses here - and this year will be my first 'season' (though it may not be the whole thing). No work, just skiing. I can't wait. And I think I'm really young, many many years left yet Smile

From the people I met last year in various ski resorts I would say there are plenty in their 30's and older - you can find the crowds of 18-22 year olds if you want, but they're by no means the only people around.
ski holidays
Quote:
And I think I'm really young, many many years left yet
Er, so do I Shocked......

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/05/100-year-old-woman-celebrates-birthday-skiing/
ski holidays
I took a complete career break and did my first season when I was 36. I worked as a rep, for Crystal, so it was the lower rung all the way! I lived in Les Arcs in a shared apt with 3 other lads, all early - late 20s, and it was one of the best things I ever did. I absolutely loved it, and despite the age difference I made some friends for life. I went back and did another season the following year in Meribel, RM for a chalet company. Another great time but not on the same level as my first; too much responsibility in the job and not enough of a care-free attitude.

Just go for it.
snow report
Dav, did you go back to your old job afterwards or continue in the "hospitality" direction?
snow conditions
Quote:

If I thought my marriage would survive it I'd be tempted. And I'm 65.

snowball, could you not do a sort of joint effort? Are you still working?
ski holidays
I'm 29 tomorrow, and have not had a non-seasonal job since I was 19, I think I have done 16 or 17 if you include sailing, I am am not thinking about changing anytime soon.
snow conditions
23 years old for a personal crisis. After that, no limit. Daft question looking for affirmation.
latest report
Dav wrote:
I took a complete career break and did my first season when I was 36. I worked as a rep, for Crystal, so it was the lower rung all the way! I lived in Les Arcs in a shared apt with 3 other lads, all early - late 20s, and it was one of the best things I ever did. I absolutely loved it, and despite the age difference I made some friends for life. I went back and did another season the following year in Meribel, RM for a chalet company. Another great time but not on the same level as my first; too much responsibility in the job and not enough of a care-free attitude.

Just go for it.

I may well be on gardening leave/sabbatical until April, so I too (at the age of 36) am looking at doing a season, if this job offer happens and I accept it (far from a certainty - but I am enjoying dreaming!).

Any advice useful. While I could bum around and not work, I'd rather do something while out in resort, if anything so that I meet other people and have a social life! But no chalet hosting or anything else that involves minimal sleep. What jobs would you recommend for someone who is 36, not good at very early mornings after drinking (hangovers are real now, unlike in my 20s) and who would actually like to be able to ski and improve (so no working in shops during the day etc)? This driving malarkey sounds good, as I have had a licence for ages and am pretty familiar with large vehicles/driving on the continent.

Any experiences or advice warmly welcomed by a chap desperately hoping that his first season could be possible...! What about accommodation - I guess a flatshare would be the way to go.

Thing is, I won't know if I can do this until about October - too late to talk to travel companies and fish for jobs?
ski holidays
I'm 49, about to be made redundant, and still thinking this could be a possibility for next winter.
latest report
Hells Bells, would that be as a chalet worker or a lady of leisure in your apartment? (I must say you're braver than me, to even think about going on your own.)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy