Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gevena to Moutier, August travel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We're going out to see family end of August (30th Birthday celebration as well) and we are flying to Geneva.

During ski season we usually just hop of a transfer bus and get a return ticket for around 80 EURO, but no such luck in the off-season.

Any ideas on best / cheapest way to travel that doesn't involve me driving (and causing accidents!)

Many thanks,

~Mac
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Only options that I know of are hire car (which clearly doesn't float your boat) or booking a private transfer. Ski Transfers, Mountain Express & Skiddy Gonzales etc all up and running over the summer - albeit with lower numbers of vans.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mountain Sun (in Tignes Les Boisses) are running transfers from GVA to support their summer programme - you could give them a shout

http://www.summeractivityholidays.com/activities_tignes.php
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the recommendations. After some digging, it looks like train is the best optional and pretty reasonable!

The missus assured me that no train was available, turns out we can get from Geneva to Moutiers for £50 return!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Could also fly into Basel

But if going by train to Moutier the station at Geneva is at the airport and much more convenient.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Flaine skier, we flew into Basel once... but we're supposed to be going to Geneva! It was new years eve and it took us 15 hours to get from Newcastle - Meribel, with no airport delays... just a ridiculous amount of diversions!

Ideally I would have gone Newcastle to Chambery but no flights direct over the summer
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mac22, Make sure you are going to the correct Moutiers - there are 2 very similarly named - at one EoSB someone went to the wrong one and it took nearly 24 hours to get back to the right one!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mac22, The French Moutiers has an 's' on the end - unlike the Swiss one. As holidayloverxx, has said, check which one you have found!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice. We have encountered the alternate Moutier before and I am always sure to check. Moutiers Brides Les bains is what I look for
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mac22, I'm pretty sure they are doing some works on the lines between Moutiers and Geneva at the moment so you may have to do part of the journey on a bus laid on by SNCF.

It will tell you on the SNCF.FR website and show the relevant part of the journey is either by train (normally TER) or by bus will be shown as Autocar.

Are you aware that you have to take the train from Geneva airport to Geneva Cornavin station (it takes 6 minutes to Cornavin) where you catch the trains into France?
The French trains go from platform 7 or 8 at Cornavin and you have to go through customs from Switzerland into France at the station where they can sometimes check your bag.

Did you know you can also receive free ticket for transport on the train from the airport to Cornavin?
You can normally pick up a free ticket for public transport from the machine in the baggage collection area at the Arrival level. The Unireso ticket, offered by Genève Aéroport, allows you to use public transport in Geneva free for a period of 80 minutes.

Also if you plan to buy the train tickets when you arrive you may have to queue for a short period. I used to buy mine from the ticket office at Cornavin station, for some reason I never bought them at the airport.

You also need to stamp your tickets in one of the yellow 'composter' machines before your journey at the French stations. In my experience, the first machine you come across at the French side of Cornavin station never used to work properly and it would take several attempts for it to stamp the ticket.

Apologies if you know all this but it can be a little confusing if it is your first journey on the train from Geneva airport.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Mac22, you could try the car pooling sites like http://www.covoiturage.fr or http://www.mountainrideshare.com as well.

You can also leave a request on our site for a shared transfer in case any local companies can help out. It is unlikely in the summer but you never know. http://www.findtransfers.com/ (The site is completely free to use and we do not take commission before someone bites my head off).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy