Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Tuscany, yes, Tuscany!

Poster: A snowHead
When we think of skiing in Italy it is the alps that come to mind and resorts like Sauze D'Oulz in the Milky Way or Cortina in the Dolomites area.

Yet Italy's largest mountain range is the Appennine. The Tuscan town of Abetone is not far from Florence, Pisa and Lucca and has been popular with Italian skiers for more than 70 years.

The Val Di Luce for example has 80kms of piste and a drop of 700 meters.

Has anyone skied there?

http://www.seetuscany.com/itineraries/abet.htm
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hibernia, no knowledge of the area but noticed a couple of forthcoming apartment buildings in Abetone seem to be the latest property development that Erna Low are pushing in the UK with articles in both the Evening Standard yesterday and Daily Mail today so I'm sure we'll hear a lot more about it soon but as you say be nice to hear the (shall we say) more independant views of any snowHead s who've skied there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bungle - It was that article that inspired the post. Did'nt want to push any advertorail stuff.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hibernia, oops Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bungle, also in The Observer last sunday wink

But it's a good point - ostensibly journalists have gone off and done some research and written some articles about a little known part of ski=ing Italy - in truth there seems to be a little more to it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not skied there - but did drive up there in the summer, negotiating lots of crazy Italian cyclists who seemsed to spend all day getting up there in order to be able to go fast back downhill at the end of the day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good to read that the average price of a 2/3 bedroom flat in the Alps is £280,000 Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thought we are talking Tuscany, the place where Tony Blair went for his holiday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like Okanagan, I have driven through the area, and lots of crazy Italitan drivers not cyclists, very beautiful area, but speaking to the locals it's not a very snow sure area and a short season, looked like it had very short runs, Abetone is nearly at the top of the hill I seem to recall. Had a good lunch in the area. Somewhere to ski if you're in the area not a destination!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of our friends comes from Siena, She says that it is not very snowsure, it's great to enjoy if you happen to be there but a bit of a gamble booking a ski holiday on the off chance that it is a good winter.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I run an English language web-site for Abetone - www.skituscany.com

In short, Abetone is definitely worth a visit for the following reasons:

* Great for learners - separate nursery slope and chairlifts instead of drag lifts.
* Very cost-effective so can you can afford to buy passes daily and enjoy time out visiting places such as Lucca, Pisa, Florence, Siena, Chianti country etc. as well.
* Mainly modern fast lifts - 11 renewed in recent years.
* Never had an avalanche so off-piste is safer than in many resorts.
* Low cost equipment rental and tuition.

It's a BLAST!! We love it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skituscany, I have only ever been there in the Summer, and love the whole area - having spent weeks staying in Lucca. The road up from Lucca or down from Modena is rather longer than it looks on the map. Do you really think the area has much more potential than as a small local hill for weekends? Is this a resort for people who like Italy who happen to ski? Or a resort for people who like to ski who happen to like Italy?

Generally ski areas which are of interest to most snowHeads do probably have terrain and snowfall which can generate an avalanche. If you have enough snow and a 30-40 degree slope - how does Abetone not have any?

Welcome to snowHeads btw snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skituscany, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . That is a rather impressive use of the search facility, that thread is 2.5 years old!!

Have a look around and see if there any current threads that you feel that you'd also like to contribute to - and they wouldn't have to just be about Tuscany Very Happy .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skituscany, having driven past Abetone (must be more than 10 years ago now) I'm quite surprised how big the area is.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have stayed in Sestola,Toscany, Italy, part of the Cimone ski area, a couple of times.
The skiing is pretty good for begineers & intermediates and the food is superb and costs a lot less than France

This link is to the piste map

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cimone/pistemap
snow report
I skied Cimone a few years back at new year. I've been to Abetone a few times but never skied there as my Italian in laws always preferred Cimone.

Picture of me at Cimone - the one in the middle with the daft hat (which has now been replaced by a helmet) Very Happy

snowHead
ski holidays
Sorry to revive this thread again, but stoatsbrother and skituscany might be interested to know that one of the chairlifts at Cimone was taken out by an avalanche a couple of weeks ago. I heard it was one deliberately triggered by the resort!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy