Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

School holiday trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking into organising a trip during school holidays! I have never done this before as I have no children and would avoid skiing during school holidays like the plague but would like to ski with friends who have children (they are all beginners). So my questions:

1. Are there any resorts that are less busy than others during the schoolholidays or am I clutching at straws?
2. Would Easter be better (i.e. less busy) than Feb half term - which is the lesser of two evils?
3. Budget is a factor but don't want to go too low as this is their first exposure to skiing and want to hook them!

As always your helpful thoughts and advice are much appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Get new friends! I have a skier friend who is a teacher. She's lovely but I do not want to go skiing with her simply for the reason that I prefer less busy and cheaper weeks. Nor would I ever be able to take the same weeks leave as her.
2. If 1 isn't suitable somewhere like La Thuile would be good for being less busy. Although it does attract some daytrippers, it's a tiny resort with a big ski area so unlikely to get too crowded. It's much busier over the La Rosière side.
3. I expect Easter would be less busy than half term and probably cheaper too. Christmas week is also usually cheaper than New Year week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always ski at Easter and usually go to Obergurgl, it's never particularly busy and is a good place to learn - I learned to ski there a long time ago. The area is very high and snow-sure, no problems with snow at Easter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I expect Easter would be less busy than half term and probably cheaper too. Christmas week is also usually cheaper than New Year week

Dead right. Avoid half term if you can. Christmas is a tad early, Easter a tad late, but of the two I'd prefer the latter - some school holidays this year are in early April (ie before Easter) and many resorts will still be fine then. My apartment is at 1550m, south facing, in the northern French Alps and in ten years we have never not been able to ski back down in early April. Early April is low season throughout the French alps - don't know about other parts.

For beginners, the convenience of the skiing and the quality of the ski school is critical, if you want them to be "hooked". April will be warmer, the days longer, the slopes far less crowded.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with the suggestion of Oberguryl at Easter we went a couple of years ago and had great snow and empty slopes. However, the hotels are expensive and when we looked into self catering we really couldn't find anything for a family of 5 at reasonable price. If someone has a self catering accomodation suggestion in Obergurgyl, please let me know as we would like to go back.
Last year we went to Maria Alm at half term which while not the biggest resort was fairly quiet for half term and a beautiful village. If the children are beginners then you don't need a huge ski area anyway.
While my heart still lies in the 3 Vallees ( where the ski area in my view is the best in Europe) we are going back to Maria Alm for Feb half term 2014! It was also good value for ski hire, ski school and eating on the mountain. There was even night skiing and a ski show.
That said, the Paris holidays don't coincide with the main UK half term week so although France will be busy, it may not be as bad as you think.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IwishICouldThinkOfAFabNam, first week of Paris coincides I think, as I had to disappoint my regular Parisiens and offer them the second week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy