Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blades!

Poster: A snowHead
Went out on the blades great fun - going to a hill toomorrow as the neightbours think I am daft skaing roudn the back garden on skiboards
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Within Europe, skiboards isnt really used and snowblades gets used. The US is much more into the skiboard term, presumably because if manufacturers did not differentiate from snowblades, salomon would sue them.

As far as the ISF goes..... that is in no way a large all encompassing organisation. To my knowledge it has basically been run by one guy out of his own home and there hasnt even been a major event organised by them. If anyone on here decided to start skiing with skis on their hands and call it skihanding, they could start the 'international skihanding federation' and wouldnt be much behind the international skiboarding federation! So the point is, their definition is that decided by one or two people who are in no way representative of the entire sport. If you take a more representative group, many will deem that 8 hole mountings instantly rule out a product out as being a skiboard.

Have a read on skiboardsonline.com..... while you may not agree with what is on there, those guys are the skiboard experts.

Adam
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jedster wrote:
Quote:

although I have the greatest respect for competent monoskiers

I've got to pick you up on that:
1. monoskiers look ridiculous (all that waving your back bottom around business)
2. monoskis were the original solution for peole who couldn't ski powder on skinny skis - not so impressive
3. they are a totally flawed piece of engineering (flats - worse than boards, impossible to carve on)
4. they only ever had a point in powder and have been made totally redundant by fat skis and snowboards and yet I still see one or two every season

why oh why oh why...

I occasionally see someone zipping bumps on one or even getting air in the park ( doesn't McConkey do some quite advanced stuff on one in one of the MSP movies?). I don't often see somone numpty looking on one these days, and having struggled to even stay upright on one on the one occasion I tried I just think to be skilled on one is pretty hard. Users now presumably do it for the retro effect not performance advantages.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, don't forget to consider that users might do it just for the sensation, so different than inside-edge skiing.

Did any of you ever ski something like the one pictured here?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob,

Quote:
All the pro blade arguments have been re the non-negatives and nothing which has persuaded me they'd be a positive improvement on skis for a competent skier. If I'm not having fun skiing (very rare) then I doubt messing around on blades (even though they "feel faster") will improve my day.

It seems to me that being able to carve on any groomed slope is a worthy ambition (certainly looks cool at 100+km/hr on a downhill course). A merely "competent" skier will not be able to carve on a steep run on normal skis. But blades will enable him to do that. Why would that be limiting?

I normally snowboard but used my blades a lot in the last 2 years while the kids have started skiing. Now I'm getting back into skiing I'lld be interested to know the logical progression from <100cm blades to something with a slightly more drawn out side cut and more off piste potential but still no longer than necessary.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Went out this morning for a downhill play on my new blades wee - I should have tried these years before now.

A thaw over by lausanne and only 3 cm of wet snow over night (on top of the 46cm that has been here all week) means I might have to go higher than the hill at the end of the road.

But that doesnt matter coz I am on Holiday - yippee
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was thinking (well as much I do of that activity) a mate got carved open last season at verbier the bitch didnt stop but she had cut clean through his wrist - we got him to hospital then plastic surgeon n he is fully functional again, where was I oh yeah thinking

I was thinking of using my icehockey gloves with a liner due to the wrist protection - as long as my hands work (and my arms I can do 95% of my job - anyone else done that ?

I also thought about liners for them such as

http://www.army-surplus.co.uk/Merchant2/4.13/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=GLV03&Category_Code=G

anyone elses thoughts ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
obelix67, maybe you also need the Kevlar throat protector?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, it's the belly protector obelix67 would've needed, but for falling into the cauldron of magic potion as a baby. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stuarth, http://www.floskis.com/id16.html take a look at the steeps and powder videos.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges, ooo, where does he get those ski trousers?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nah no worried about the throat or the belly (it can take care of itself obv) but the amount of accidents in verbier was very high - I have that it is just a matter of time .......... ah well just thought I would ask the bloomin question ........
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
obelix67, Sorry. Didn't mean to be offhand. I'd say the chance of getting your wrists slit skiing was very very low (unless very disappointed with your own skiing wink ) but it sounds like a nifty idea, so as you've seen it happen I'd understand if it made you feel safer. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yup the girl went through a half inch of my mates wrist got up and left him there bleeding - there were only 2 tendons that were not severed by the crash - his binding had come loose he stopped to tighten it on a open area and she went straight into him.

They were the only two on the mountain he got down to the bottom by which time his jacket was full of blood, literally dripping.

I wasnt there I was at work - I got a call that he was being evacuqated to hospital and could I go up.

There are so many accidents at Verbier these days - some really bad on piste etiquette. Of 8 of us that went up 4 boarders had their season finished early by out of control skiers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I love my blades / that s all / lovemy helmet too.
snow report
My girlfriend loves my helmet

Oh come on, someone had to say it? Toofy Grin

I'll get me coat...
snow report
obelix67, I love my Blades too, great to see we beat "The Unclean" 1-0 last Saturday Laughing Laughing
snow report
huh ?
ski holidays
obelix67, Sorry, football. I support Sheffiled United and we beat our local rivals 1-0 last weekend, Sheffield United's nickname is "The Blades". I'd been waiting for an opportunity to use this thread since it started, you provided the perfect setup wink
ski holidays
Right rolling eyes

Sheffield and football in the same sentence Shocked enjoy
ski holidays
In a bit of spare time i came across the injury stats. There seems to be alot made of the danger of skiboarding with non-release bindings. I dont want to tempt fate but skiboarding rates somewhere between skiing and snowboarding in terms of injuries, more dangerous than skiing but less than snowboarding..... so to be honest, non-release isnt really that much of a problem
snow report
buns what are your stats measured by, hours on snow per person per activity? More than skiing is bad enough for me given the lower torque of a shorter length I'd say its pretty damning . Snowboarding has an entirely different injury profile so is not really a comparison- lots less lower limb injuries - loads more wrists & collar bones.
snow conditions
http://www.ski-injury.com/snowblade.htm

Ad
ski holidays
Snowblades 35.7% fractures vs 12.5% for skis - more injuries per skier days & nearly 3x the risk of fracture I'd say non-realease is a bit of a problem!
ski holidays
I have release Wink and they do ............
snow report
got this today
going to give it a go on Thursday and will let you know what I think of it

From: Skischule-Saas-Fee [mailto:info@skischule-saas-fee.ch]
Sent: 13 December 2005 09:43
To: obelix
Subject: AW: Lessons
Hello
We refer to your e-mail and thank you for the interest you showed.
You can have private snowblades lessons.
2 hours are Sfr. 120.- for 1 person.
If you need any more information don't hesitate to ask us.
Yours sincerely
Belinda Zurbriggen, administration
latest report
obelix67,
How did your lessons go then?
ski holidays
Just be careful that you dont end up getting lessons in skiing with snowblades, as opposed to snowblading with snowblades...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Neilswingler, try the new 129cm "Revolutions" from Cripple Creek. I have been using them this season and reckon they have all the advantages of blades and skis. Being more stable at high speeds than blades but more maneuverable than skis make them the perfect next step you want. Releasable bindings and twin tipped and a price of 120euro's from Intersport.
ski holidays
We bought our daughter a pair of blades as she got well and truly stuck in snowplough mode and just couldn't seem to get her ski's together no matter how hard she tried-within a couple of hours on blades she was making some lovely parallel turns, and now she's almost there on ski's too. Now that she knows how it 'feels' to parallel turn, it is easier for her to try and replicate that feeling on ski's. She's in the Kestrals up at our local dry slope and is making really good progress-her success on blades really boosted her confidence.

I last skiied on snow almost 14 years ago and have only been using the dry slope for the last 8 months or so so have been working really hard to get my skiing up to scratch before we go away-and blades really helped me out in the same way they did our Daughter.

I wouldn't suggest that blades be used as a learning tool for everyone, but for us they worked, and we have great fun on them.
latest report
Going back a bit on this thread...why are they dangerous for kids as Buns said?
My son (aged 14, but small for his age) is keen to try some and I would like to be safe.
snow report
The instructor did a no show - trying to find another one - can I rant about that ski school - the chap in the office would not even acknowledge that I was banging on the window saying where the fk is the instructor.....t*ssers.

I am trying to find another one - going to try one in Champery Monday morning 10 am
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
Going back a bit on this thread...why are they dangerous for kids as Buns said?
My son (aged 14, but small for his age) is keen to try some and I would like to be safe.

This is mostly for non release bindings (although you will find releasibles saying similar things).... kids lower legs are weaker and more prone to injury in the sort of accidents most typically observed with short boards. There are kids specific boards if he is the right sort of size for them.

Have a look at http://skiboards.com/kidspage.html for some options. There is a forum attached to that site where 'doc' (the owner) posts.... I know he has previously posted about his own kids on boards, so probably worthy of a search.

Another thing that is nice about skiboards is the lack of poles.... when i started skiing, I had terrible trouble 'steering' with my shoulders. Not carrying poles almost decoupled my upper and lower body which has been commented on as looking very good (not that I really would know what good meant!)
latest report
http://skiboards.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=511&highlight=children
snow conditions
sorry.... forum froze hence double post
ski holidays
Yahoooooooo - 2 hours with an instructor

And my first attempt at the Swiss Wall - yipppeeeeeeeeee - this is going to be fun
ski holidays
Ok.... a real question for skiers watching....

I will not be going off piste any time soon and it is unlikely I will be in deep powder..... so why should I strap skis back on?!

I can carve on skiboards better than i likely would be able to on skis, i can hit steeps, i can do bumps, i can do little tricks.... so apart from being more difficult, what reason can you give me to try skis on my upcoming trip?

I am tempted to try out some short (read very short) twin tips so that I get alot of the benefit of skiboards, but more stability. But beyond being more stable (so able to go faster), I cant really come up with a good reason....

Adam
snow report
As I was not up on mountains last year I cannot say - but according to some folk up here there are a lot more snowbladers up this season than last season.

There were 2 classes on Attalas as I was coming down on Friday.

One of my friends that has been boarding for 6 or 7 years found it amazing that I could keep up with him on any of runs appart from the moguls - were I slowed down a bit after doing a 30 meter snowplough using my helmet.

As an aside I havent used the hockey gloves - but why do people that dont know you ski so close to you - or board ? There is plenty of mountain do I really need to be buzzed ?
snow conditions
buns,

Totally agree, I'm just there to have fun & my 97cm blades with proper releasable bindings allow me to go places I wouldn't dare to on normal ski's.
Very Happy
latest report
buns,

I'd say, ultimately, IF you are prepared to put the time and effort in, you will make nicer, more rewarding turns on skis and you will get the skills to take you all over the mountain in all conditions (which is in itself satisfying). If you are more interested in short-term fun than long-term progress (and I'm not saying that's wrong - just a choice) then don't bother with skis again.

Enjoy,

J
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy