Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blades!

Poster: A snowHead
chris, can't picture them performing in deep powder at all. Just not the surface area. Must be pretty hard work.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG, I have Cripple Creek 127cm twin tips which are very wide and punch through the snow really well. I do like to use my skiing as fitness training so I make it quite physical.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was thinking the same ting PG.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ahh you skiers.. the things are getting shorter and shorter each year.. some of my mates are down to 160 odd now.. my board is that long..
soon all that 'I learn't on 210s the width of a pack of rizzlas' will be even more unbelievable .. wink

shorter is easier and we all like easier Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I skis 165s!

98mm waist though Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From http://www.skiboards.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=1411 a review of the wed'ze

Skiboard: Wed'ze 132cm made by Quechua
Bindings: Releasable Salamon bindings
---------------------------------------------------------
Most of you chaps probably have not seen these. A French company called Quechua is heavily marketing their so called Wed'ze "Short Skis." There are have about 8 different finish color schemes ranging from Bubbles to Lizards to Strawberries to Peppers. They retail for about $215 with bindings. I reluctantly bought a pair a few weeks ago. The tips are a bit wider than the rest of the board, but are no means Skiboard Wide. The construction is Glass Fiber Polyeurathane. The sidecut radius is 20m.

So...enough of that. The verdict:

Overall, these are not skiboards. They are short skis. There is much more board in front than there is in back and results in a somewhat strange feel especially if you sit back a bit. I did not find any real advantage of them. In fact..they kinda walk the fence between Skiboards and Skis.

Carving was so so and for sure did not hold their edge. I'm a big guy, so that likely plays a factor. However, I was able to hold an edge better with my Big Feet! while going fast on hard pack the tips began to flop around. Moguls were not so bad, as the tips flexed quite a bit.

These are not for me...especially for the price. Not only do they not perform so hot, the finish is also kinda cheap and childlike.

if you wish, you can check out more details on the website
www.wedze.com.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
obelix67, Quechua is the in house make for Decathalon ski stuff. there's been a whole thread about these not that long ago. Look good to me - ideal for dodgy beginners to start on I should think, but I'd still want to move them up to 140 or 150 afterwards. I was actually thinking of buying 4 pairs for classes! They're only about €160 in Decathlon, so I think $215 is a bit of a rip off!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Charlotte, I'm not sure whether the above review relates to the Wed'ze (127s) or the Very Wed'ze (132s). The market for the latter targets the reasonable skier upwards according to the rep, and to me they were more fun, more reactive than the basic Wed'ze. Possibly slightly harder to control. The other ones (basic Wed'ze) were for beginners the rep reckoned, and it's true that Edward found them easier. He hadn't skied for two years, and has only been on blades the last few times out.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, I copied your comments over to the skiboards forum so see if there was a different take on it and some interesting comments have been made.

http://www.skiboards.com/messageboard/showthread.php?p=9009&posted=1#post9009

SwissJammer was the guy that reviewed the Wed'ze he is off to Lake Como so we can find out in a couple of weeks.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
obelix67, Interesting that so many shortie skiers have also noticed the problem, but sad that several said etiquette had not been mentioned. BTW any ski teacher will teach blading - any freestyle ski teacher will teach freestyle blading, so the idea that lessons weren't available shows a sad lack of understanding that the length of the ski doesn't actually change the technique very much.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, I managed to get a set of Head Big Easy with releaseables for the guy from work, I will let you know how we get on.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
obelix67, Tyrolias? You know about the 23 mm lift plate for those, looks very much like the Spruce Mtn. ones?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ask doc or valmorel on skibards message board
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
obelix67, how long are they though? I put most people on skis around shoulder to mouth height (depending on their experience). I don't like to see anyone on skis longer than eyebrow for lessons - I can't see the need! I ski 155 most of the time (am 165 myself) and 163 now for off piste ..... Michael Walchofer is around 18?? and skis 165 in slalom (the nearest in speed to any holiday skier).

Hope you enjoy them though - very easy to turn, but don't do too much ice unless you have super sharp edges!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We went up, first we did the difference between snowplough ski and snow plough blades, then we did sliding, then eyes down hill (ok fk that) hold on to just above your knees, then take it from there.

He had a blast, he acheived more with me than he did with a professional instructor. Maybe I have a calling....I was also complimented by one of the ESS instructors (smug). Shocked

He had never done an 80 meter traverse.

He felt affected by altitude, coffee n sugar to resuss.

Then having done a blue I took him back to a nursery slope to practice and he did 5 more hours than he managed on skis. Apparently his knees and anles were not twisted as bad on blades. His greatest feeling of acheivement was being able to get up on his feet unassisted after falling which he found very hard on skis.

He is coming back next weekend - if in the end he progresses from blades to skis I couldnt care less - he enjoyed today even though he felt that falling on blades was harder (personally I blame a distinct lack of soft snow to land on.)

Anyway - if you are out there and you are thinking of going on snow blades or skiboards or whatever you want to call them.
ski holidays
easiski, Let me know if you want some Wed'ze( French for Radical!), Mrs SZK is International Marketting/Design Manager at Quechua, she may have some ex-demo stuff knocking around, i'll ask. Little Angel
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, you just arent like that blondie french guy in your shop (or his shop) at all - you really come across as a nice guy, wierd as hell, Wink but quite nice.
snow report
obelix67, Who do you mean, i'm the boy, you need mr to give someone an ear bending? Little Angel
ski holidays
I left a note for you on another thread - when you were off to Munich "working" I popped in to say hi - when I asked for you the guy growled, so I decided fk that for service and I would buy elsewhere - he didnt seem to impressed you were off. Puzzled Personally I have no ax to grind about your shop - and from the comments posted on this site I had thought it would have been a good experience during my trip over to Chamonix.

It is a nice wee shop and a good selection of equipment, I saw a couple of bits I had been looking out for.....

Anyway it was probably just wrong person, wrong time.... or something. rolling eyes

Best of luck.
snow report
obelix67, If your friend felt his ankles and knees were twisted on skis then there was definitely something wrong! However, sounds like a very successful day, glad he enjoyed it. I now realise a certain amount of confusion from your post, as Big Easy is a full size ski - I assume they also do a mini in the range! Embarassed Embarassed

SMALLZOOKEEPER, I am definitely up for getting 4 pairs of very wedzes for future clients (maybe 5 if I want a pair, but i can jus tused my skis or snowblades!) If there are any ex demos that would be great - all this money is a bit much!!! Shocked Shocked
snow report
Apparently when he fell the instructor tried to straighten his skis - but not being too considerate for knees and ankles....

Possibly the funniest viewing event of the day was watching him catch a good turn towards what he thought was powder - only to find a 3 ft high ice wall - both bindings released as expected fortunately.

Got a text from him today he is coming up again next week - he isnt brave enough yet for the night skiing.
snow conditions
easiski, Just spoke to him this morning - he has extended the rental of the skiboards until the end of the season - a good sign.
snow report
obelix67, Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
o dear not again parlour you are the same as a football hooligan you HATE skibladers/boarders because they dont participate in the same snow sliding discipline as you as some football fans HATE THE OPPOSITION FANS dont try and speak for all skiers and snowboarders hating bladers you called us all idiots and ther will be some skiers who might laugh at your silly nuschool skis after all theyre not proper skis are they do us a favour and grow up
snow conditions
The Parisian lady in the next bed to my wife in Moutier Hospital was quite firm in her view that she would never use blades again and in future would stick to "ski classique". In her view blades are "tres tres dangereux" Sad
snow report
Hey fitz, bud, I think we have done that one to death aleady Wink lets all love everyone and enjoy the snow, during the past few weeks I have lost one friend and 3 different families we know from 3 different land masses have lost a child (Sco/Ire/Swis) - there is more to life than all this bitterness n crap - lets all enjoy what we can, while we can.

Parlour enjoy the snow mate and I hope you dont have to experience any more crap from bawbags, wannae be hooligans on any type of mountain equipment be it blades, boards or skis.

Whether folk want to snowblade, ski, snowboard, sledge, or take a horse drawn sleigh, whatever snow transportation lights your candle.

Just enjoy it, be safe and be happy.
snowHead
ski holidays
obelix67, THE post of the year so far.
snow report
chris, cheers mate here is hoping folk can just get on with it Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, I have to admit that my 127's are not good in deeeep powder. Yesterday I was up to my waist in the stuff on a very steep off-piste slope and found I couldn't move once I'd stopped. I had to almost swim in the snow to get back onto a piste. Would I have been any better off with more suitable skii's? And is it worth buying them for what must be a rarity anyway?
ski holidays
first post here so be gentle with me please, i have skied/been a skier for the last 14/15 years, been a qualiffied instructor for the majority of this time. back in 97 i was going to pamporovo/bulgaria for a weeks fun, i managed to get a set of blades on test for that week. my first run was on my 185's/usual skis, then decided to give the funny little skis a go. since that day i have never went back to longer skis for fun, only for instructing purposes. have had a variety of different blades/skiboards and now find myself on a set of summitt customs with bomber elite non-release bindings/110cm skiboards. i can keep up with the majority of skiers on longer skis and can carve turns as well as anyone (on blades or long skis). please dont say that snowblades/skiboards are for lazy people, its simply not true. as for hooligan elements/idiots on snow, anyone can go out with a pre-conceived idea of one group of people and see what they want to see. i have seen idiots on skis, blades and snowboards, and to be honest i have prob seen more people skiing beyond there abillitys on longer skis than any of the other disciplines. i seem to remember this elitism when snowboards became popular. live and let live is what i say, just cause someone uses a shorter ski than yourself doesnt mean anything more than they are having fun on a different piece of equipment.
graeme
ski holidays
graeme, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I blade too (some of the time), but don't think I'm any more/less of an idiot on short or long skis!
latest report
I have a pair of Line Pro 99cm ones for sale, not a lot of use - red n black with non release bindings - make me an offer!!!

They have a bag too

A
ski holidays
I wonder if I could graft on a set of blades to an old wooden sledge and make it go a bit better. There's no hills round here so anything that makes it slide better makes life easier.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy