Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Blades!

Poster: A snowHead
It is also lets stuff to lug - for me the dakine back pack and diagonal attachment is great - blades, back pack, etc. I might get adjustable poles.............dunno yet havnt really felt a need.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just returned from a week in France (Meribel/Tignes) and have to say that
there seems to be more bladers out there than last year.

I've been using them for a couple of years and have found my confidence
has improved massively. Before using them I could ski most pisted runs
with the exception of very steep/icy blacks perfectly competently but could
not manage to go very fast - I was still doing big S-turns and almost stopping
on each turn when it got steep. By the end of a week on skis my legs were
wrecked - the last day would be more just trying to survive upright than fun.

On blades I can tackle pretty much any type of terrain except for very deep
powder. Up to 35-40cm is fine but more than that and I send the other half down
on his board first then follow his tracks. They have also allowed me to go much
faster than I had ever managed on skis. You need to be careful with bumps
(hitting one at speed can send you flying) and intially you also need to be cautious
of leaning too far back/forward. I'd definitely reccomend wearing a helmet unless
you're totally sure you won't crash! Steep slopes/ice are no problem. I've found
that because so much less effort is required to turn it's much easier to swap from
edge to edge - as a result I've gradually managed to go faster and have gradually
moved from S-type turns on the steep slopes to little short turns just taking the
edge of my speed.

This year I bought new skis and have discovered that I can now ski a whole lot
better. I can now go pretty fast (and controlled) down most reds/blacks which I
would have struggled with last year. I suspect my skiing would have improved if
I'd stuck with skis entirely but it might have taken me several more years to gain
the confidence to go faster/steeper. I also don't have the same pain in my knees
which I used to get skiing - but perhaps that's just because my technique is better.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
After a week in Saas Fee I was fine until trying to do a black at speed lost my balance and pulled my right quad or another muscle in the same area - took the last day off and the muscle is feeling better.

I have found that I have no problem with speed, keeping up with all of our group last week and often leaving them behind. I dont know how much of that is down to mass and gravity. Shocked

I am coming to hate T bars and buttons - I dont know why but I seem to use up more of my reserves in my quads on them than I do if I just ski to the next gondola and take the lift up.

I have taken to going from S Turns to straight lining blue and just rolling as I was advised on skiboards to go from one blade edge to the other - great fun and I pick up a load of speed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can still go fast on boards but not that fast. If you tried straightlining on blades and compared to a moderate length ski, the ski would be much much more stable. This is the main point, stability. To go as fast on something shorter, you will need to fight much harder to keep it under control.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is fast enough for me at the moment - and no chance of entering an over 40's race

I dunno if my weight - properly balanced adds to the gravity of pulling me straightline downhill - by other "full length" skiers I am fast on these a lot faster than they thought I could get.... - I dunno - I can go bloomin fast on rollerblades too Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Im now starting to come across the limitations on skiboards. There is no doubt that those of less adventure could enjoy them on pisted slopes for ever and a day..... but im finding it tougher....

bumpy steeps - skiboards actually turn too sharply, it is very difficult to follow the contours because they have been carved by those making wider turns!

partially churned slopes - skiboards are great on an icy or hard surface, they are also not so bad (assuming you dont have thin boards) in a bit of pisted powder or soft stuff. However, if you get a mixture (such that you have a hard bit then a soft), it is a nightmare! The skiboards will run fantastically on the hard then come to a screeching stop when they hit the soft!

Another little aside, it is rather easier to unbalance yourself on skiboards. Because the tip and your foot is close, hitting a bump you werent expecting is much more likely to throw your weight back than on longer skis.

I have to say I think I will be tending towards longer and longer boards, I am on 99's now but think that I may be tempted to 120's next year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor wrote:
It's not just because skiboards, blades or whatever you want to call them are rubbish it's the idiots that use them. That's the reason people don't like them.

Wait... let me explain a little bit. They're good fun, I was even going to bid on this pair on e-bay but then they went over £10 Wink Great for an afternoons reckleness, but that's my point!

I'm sure there isn't a single snowHead that causes the issues and form the reason why skiers and snowboarders hate skiboard(ers?), but have a look around you on the piste. The most inconsiderate, out-of-control lunatics on the piste are all wearing skiboards. They're a menace and as far as I'm concered should be banned.

Want a fun, short ski to have a laugh with your mates on? Get this. Twisted Evil
so parlour reckons skiers and snowboarders [hate] skiboarders as they are a menace and should be banned! how sad that someone who uses freestyle skis has to look down on another discipline of having fun sliding down a hill after all there will be plenty of skiers[apparently the only proper way of snowsliding]who will be looking down their noses at those short skis alas the class system seems to be alive and well [upper class]skiers [middle class]snowboarders [lower class] skiboards/bladers do you think that sledging should be banned cos after all its not the proper bobsleigh? t trays are out only the luge will do. stop hating other pastimes cos you dont do them live and let live enjoy life stop worrying about how cool you think you look on your twintips your time on planet earth is small enjoy it while you can Enjoy your chosen method of sliding doonhill!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buns,

bumpy steeps - follow the trough not the mounds like skiers do - you can make the corners

paritally churned slopes - practice mate - it takes a bit of getting used to but once you do and given the conditions of the past 2 weeks there is plenty to practice on

balance - practice on rollerblades or ice skates - rollerblades it is the same when you change surface material and go from say cobbles to smooth concrete - you need the same balance for all the short playthings Smile

I am also considering getting a pair of Spruce Mountain 120's in March when I am over in the USA.

fitz, given the tolerance of some people it is a good job they were not born over 60 years ago or they might have been working for a german employer Wink given the general make up of the population of this board I am sure a few of the families helped fight against such intolerance. Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
obelix67 wrote:

fitz, given the tolerance of some people it is a good job they were not born over 60 years ago or they might have been working for a german employer Wink given the general make up of the population of this board I am sure a few of the families helped fight against such intolerance. Shocked

Accusing people of being nazi's simply because they don't agree with you isn't really very tolerant.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fitz, Well said Sir! NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I called no one a nazi - I said that the time for intolerance at a recent high was during WW2, Al queda or the Taliban could be deemed as intolerant if you want to use a modern analogy.

However of course hounding and persecuting people is a very tolerant attitude ise if you dont find something wrong with it, well that is your opinion, therefore I think the point is well made - easily understood and quite clearly comparative - we are talking about recreation activites here - not religion, politics etc, none of which are worthy persecution.

I would like to hope my over the top comparison actually helps people wake up to reality a bit.

I am the kind of person that gets in the way of bully's, I have put myself at risk stopping assaults having been stabbed twice for my trouble, I will not stand by and do nothing, it is not my nature.

If anyone finds my comparision too over the top - admin please feel free to remove it.

On the other hand if people want to do what they enjoy on the mountains - please let them as long as it doesnt put others at risk - dont slag it just because you dont like it just enjoy what you want to do. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
obelix67 wrote:
I called no one a nazi - I said that the time for intolerance at a recent high was during WW2, Al queda or the Taliban could be deemed as intolerant if you want to use a modern analogy.

OK, I'll try again. Accusing people of being intolerant becaue they express a different view from yours isn't very tolerant.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry ise, so are you saying that if someone is intolerant, we can't point that out because that would make us intolerant too...?

I would say that calling someone else's hobby "rubbish", calling them an "idiot" for using blades and suggesting that everyone on this forum "hates" skiboarders is not just expressing a different point of view - it's being insulting and intolerant. As a very placid ski boarder myself who has never once been out of control I take some offence to that myself. obelix67 was just replying in kind - well said mate!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ken_1969, Agreed Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ken_1969 wrote:
Sorry ise, so are you saying that if someone is intolerant, we can't point that out because that would make us intolerant too...?

I would say that calling someone else's hobby "rubbish", calling them an "idiot" for using blades and suggesting that everyone on this forum "hates" skiboarders is not just expressing a different point of view - it's being insulting and intolerant.

No one said anything of the sort, in fact the majority of expressed opinion in this thread were positive to blades.
snow report
Buns, its interesting that you feel inclined towards longer skiboards. As I've already mentioned I moved from 79cm trick Salomon blades to 127cm short skis at the start of the season and now no longer want to use my blades. I've also used my 160cm carving skis and found them so cumbersome and slow reacting, so short skis should be the way forward for you.
latest report
Ise the fact is I never accused anyone of being anything (apart from guaging some posts as over the top in intolerance.)

The smiley of a wink should say to you on a forum that I am taking the P, thats all. I would never accuse someone on a forum of that - it is a lot more fun doing it to their face - if I think it is worth the effort.
snow conditions
woooooooooo hooooooooooooooo, 25 cm of fresh snow so far this evening when night skiing, I am getting to the speed stage where I can get my gloves down, we went down the slalom course and it was brilliant, the second time push it too hard and back flipped, got up push hard again and face planted - yaaaaaaaaahoooooooooo what a buzz

my wife reckons my maniac grin is ear to ear at the moment

it lastest for about 2 hours after my last fast run
snow conditions
Champery?
snow conditions
obelix67, we want pictures!!!!
ski holidays
from last week - didnt remember the camera last night
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a9/obelix67/Snowblade/P1010050.jpg
latest report
fitz, If you were here this week, or last, or the week before you might agree with Parlour, if people who use blades keep insisting that this hooligan element doesn't exist they may very well end up getting banned. These groups of yobbos on blades are a nightmare. BTW Parlour is out on the mountain daily as I am - we probably see a lot more of what goes on. Perhaps I'm a snob, not liking bullies and hooligans???

obelix67, you say "as long as it doesnt put others at risk ", but sadly the majority of people here on shorties (of any type) do - that's the problem. I've owned a pair of snowblades for years, teach blading when required, but this hooligan element is another thing entirely. The point is they can come to resort having never skied in any way, shape of form and get a pair of blades and go to the top of the mountain and get down. Totally out of control, no idea of piste rules, and because they're mostly young adult males in groups "mob" anyone in their way.

Maybe it's just particularly bad here, but I don't think so. I suggest responsible bladers get together and try to do something about the hooligans.

buns, Interesting that you're now saying what I said in a similar thread last year (to which you disagreed) - they're fun but they have limitations!
snow report
easiski, if I am on a mountain and someone puts someone at risk I will et them know. Mobs exist it is part of human culture unfortunately, if you ban them on blades they will probably turn up on short skis.......

There are hooligans out there if they have taken to your piste or Verbier - that is crap - no debating that point I think we are all grown ups on here (and act like it most of the time).

Piste patrols will just need to become able to deal with hooligans should they venture onto the piste. Sad
snow conditions
Charlotte, its very disturbing what you are saying about mob hooligans on blades and very difficult to do anything about it. These hooligans would be on skis or boards if not on blades but at least you are aware who they are and can avoid them if possible. Next time you are angered point out to the blader that his bindings are loose and that should slow him down for a while!
ski holidays
chris, both at verbier and at zermatt I have forgotten to do up all the bindings on the first run, a lot of skaters do not do their boots up tight instead use balance, you might just get a "yeah so" answer.....
latest report
easiski, one of the things I love about night sking is that I have a lot less to worry about than when the piste is busy and can really let rip down the piste. Still it doesnt stop a formation skiing group to stop just the far side of a blind summit - idiots. It would have been like 10 pin bowling.
ski holidays
chris wrote:
These hooligans would be on skis or boards if not on blades but at least you are aware who they are and can avoid them if possible.

That's hard to prove, I'd tend to not believe it personally, but it's most certainly not something you can state with any certainty. The argument would go that we're talking the sort of individuals that would not be prepared to invest the time in learning to ski or board, it's only opinion but that sounds compelling to me.
snow conditions
ise, there is a 57 year old guy at work - has never been involved in snow sports before, was convinced by long skiers that he should invest the time learning to ski, spent a day at ski lessons and 4 days recovering afterwards.

Now where we live the amount of time to learn to ski, board is made slightly easier by the proximity we are to piste.

As he is going to be going down hill - just to go downhill, not racing, no tricks, just going from vin chaud hut to vin chaud hut.

To me I would ask the question - why not let him invest the time learning how to blade at a basic level - then if he wants to at a later date he can use those skills when he migrates to ski's - if he does.

The time spent learning to blade to an effective level to get down blue and red runs is not that great and that is all he wants..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
obelix67, sorry, I don't see the connection Puzzled

We all agree blades are great for people who can't or won't learn to ski which is why it's a perfectly pointless topic.
ski holidays
ise, I can ski perfectley well on full length ski's & have done for years, I now use blades as I find them more fun, I go skiing to have fun not to conform to other peoples ideas of what is correct.
If you have a problem with that then tough. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
provenjohn, ok, sorry, I meant to say, We all agree blades are great for people who can't or won't ski which is why it's a perfectly pointless topic.

It's a perfectly accurate observation, you put yourself in the "won't" category I see.
snow report
provenjohn, Other people's idea of correct are the rules of the piste which should be followed by everyone - you suggest that if we're not happy that certain elements don't follow them then there's something wrong with the rest of us. I would take issue with that, if that's what you meant.

I don't think these yob mobs would be on skis or boards - because they can't just do it. The whole reason why they come and blade is for precisely that reason - they can get away with it.

chris, Can't avoid them - how can we? They're even all over the teaching slopes! Of course this week it's Paris, so it's probably the same lot that were rioting a couple of weeks ago!

obelix67, If your friend at work needed so long to get over his first lesson, then I'd hazzard a suggestion that he wasn't being taught very well (in view of his age etc.)

BTW I'm proposing an over 50's beginners week next year and will be using mini skis for these guys to start with, so I'm really not against the things - just a large proportion of the people on them. Shocked
latest report
easiski, I have never suggested you are against the blades - I dont know if you have seen the book Big Foot adventure - it makes interesting reading and I will let you know how we get on.

ise, there must be something in the translation of the posts then.... Wink Shocked
ski holidays
obelix67, was that photo taken last wednesday? We were at Les Crosets that night. Did you see that bloke doing old skool moves down the red under the chair? I can only describe it as moonwalking on skis.

I've not come across many hoolies, apart from a couple of blokes on snow bikes last year who cut me up; apparently quite intentionally. I nearly got run over by a boarder weaving between skiers on a narrow, tree lined run towards Ardent last week. No problems with bladers...as yet wink
snow conditions
Sharkymark, Eh nope - sorry - I didnt meet you things have been a bit "different" the past few weeks.
ski holidays
obelix67, Back in the day I've done slalom training (serious) on Big feet - uuuuggggghhhhh Shocked
snow report
obelix67, not the only one mate. No probs
snow report
easiski, it is possibly eaiser in the day than at night Wink
latest report
chris wrote:
Buns, its interesting that you feel inclined towards longer skiboards. As I've already mentioned I moved from 79cm trick Salomon blades to 127cm short skis at the start of the season and now no longer want to use my blades. I've also used my 160cm carving skis and found them so cumbersome and slow reacting, so short skis should be the way forward for you.
The Wed'ze (or similar?) Sorry, can't find your previous mention of this. Tried both Wed'ze and Cery Wed'ze a couple of days back, thought I could maybe get a pair of the slightly more reactive "Very Wed'ze" (a bit longer at 132, better suited to intermediates and above, compared to the rather docile, boring and beginnerish Wed'ze - or that's how I found them, anyway).

Can't see myself using them much though, more to lend to bladers when we're likely to ski flat terrain such as the plateau across from La Rosière into Italy.

Quote:
160cm carving skis and found them so cumbersome and slow reacting
Very Happy Only because the blades are too unchallenging! Slalom skis especially are sooooooo easy to turn.
ski holidays
ise, you are a person who looooves to contradict anyone and I have learnt in life to ignore people like you.
Easiski, unfortunatly L2A does seem to attract yooof and with that comes the yob culture.
PG, for the type of skiing I love which includes steep bumpy moguls and off piste powder, my 127cms are the best skis I have used. I admit that for skiing on piste at speed (which I don't enjoy mainly due to fear) they are not as good as longer skiis. Each to his own.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy