Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Half Term God Smiles Upon Me

Poster: A snowHead
After being shafted year in year out, it seem this year the credit cards annual spanking may be abated.

Our local half term dates seem to be a week later than the rest of the country; so flights at a discount of £250 each and a shed load of availability. Get in!!

In fact there's so much choice I don't know where to go.

Any suggestions for mixed groups; loads of piste and plenty of lift served off piste would be nice?

We've kind of favoured Tignes in the past, but wouldn't mind trying elsewhere.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-07-13 23:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mosha Marc, it is still Paris holidays that week, so choose carefully.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc, which of the French regions does it coincide with? That would make a difference to your choice. Our local schools are 15 - 22 February which coincides with Paris. I can safely say that despite having "free" accommodation and a season lift pass, I will not be in France that week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mmmmm true; we're 22 Feb to 1 March. Google says that Zones B & C are still on holiday.

Could be Austria then?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Could be Austria then?
Fasching!

Italy?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc, actually Fasching starts on 27th Feb through to 5th March so your week might be busy but probably not as busy as the following week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Champoluc? How many are you?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At the moment there's 27 of us, but that could vary a bit.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Champoluc looks interesting though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ischgl?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

It'll be dead. Like really dead. I'm more of a Gressoney/Staffal person as the lift access into Alagna is better but I have no idea what those places are like with kids. Only downsides are that the area is relatively dry and people who like piste milage might be a little underwhelmed. Be prepared to walk a little bit for decent snow off piste.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gorilla, One place in Staffal that is good for kids is here, my club went there at half term for several years in a row.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, SSSHHHHHH, someone might be listening.

We'll be there 16th Feb, Gressoney, but it has its downsides, bad toilets - you could fall in, not many people to talk to in the lift queues.

I agree, with gorilla, I like Gressoney/Stafal, this is steeper, but gives you better access to the other valeys, Champoluc is the bigger area.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

We'll be there 16th Feb, Gressoney, but it has its downsides, bad toilets - you could fall in, not many people to talk to in the lift queues.

Does that mean there are no lift queues. Surely this is a big upside.

I went to Gressoney last year and Champoluc a few years before that. It is not really a big ski area and you can easily get from one side to the other very quickly. Gressoney was by far the quietest ski resort I have ever been to and having to get a not inexpensive bus was a bit of a drag but the skiing was good. The pistes are generally fairly gentle slopes and bashed to death, but there is some really good lift served off piste and the helicopters do a roaring trade.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

It'll be dead. Like really dead. I'm more of a Gressoney/Staffal person as the lift access into Alagna is better but I have no idea what those places are like with kids. Only downsides are that the area is relatively dry and people who like piste milage might be a little underwhelmed. Be prepared to walk a little bit for decent snow off piste.

The kids in the group are now all in their teens, bar one minnow. My two are 13 and16 now will be looking at the mellow off piste and smaller bumps too.

I've found that when our lot go out, that we're a big enough group to make our own atmosphere in a bar or restaurant. But how come it's so dead? I'm mainly concerned about the blue/red run brigade getting a bit bored though Confused

I like Clarkys suggestion about Ishgl, but it's a fair bit pricier than Champoluc.

I take it that gressoney's a bit more lively?
latest report
Mosha Marc, Italian's ski at weekends. Weekdays are dead.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, no. Gressoney is not livelier.

Champoluc is a quietish station, but a nice village. The skiing is more or less such that unless you are planning a major off piste excursion (or the weather is against you) you can easily get to anywhere you want to be, ski, amd get back no issue.

There are two quite excellent restaurants in Champoluc: le Sapin, which is up there with our favourite ever restaurants, but heavily meat based and a new like, l'Essential which has a rather imaginative fishy theme.

A few of the bars are open late and therevis a quite appalling night club.
ski holidays
Quote:

I take it that gressoney's a bit more lively

We did see someone in a bar on Saturday night - does that make it more lively? I think most of the people are back on their coaches to Turin and Milan when the pistes close.
latest report
Quote:

But how come it's so dead?

I meant empty of visitors - especially in comparison to France or Switzerland in the same week. I have only encountered lift queues in the entire area when the freeride paradise lift has been partially out of action.
latest report
Quote:

I meant empty of visitors - especially in comparison to France or Switzerland in the same week

sounds good to me. snowHead
snow report
I see no problem here! Very Happy
latest report
If you've used Tignes in the past, you will find Gressoney the exact opposite in just about every way. Cheaper, way friendlier, better food, no queues, chilled.
Last season in one of the weeks I was there, a big group of Germans made one of the three bars their own (in a good way!) and we all had a whale of a time. Well, there was supposed to be three bars, I never did find the third...
To each their own but I think it's a fantastic place. I don't plan on going anywhere else for a while. Like skiing used to be etc etc... just don't tell anyone else...
Haven't stayed in Champoluc. Looks like it offers a bit more in apres ski options.
ski holidays
Quote:

under a new name, SSSHHHHHH, someone might be listening.

Big Paua, Adding you to my NOT Christmas card list too !!!.....and you knew the rules!!! ...
Quote:

... just don't tell anyone else...
wink wink

Mosha Marc, When are you going, I know you said half term, but you also implied it was an "odd" date?

We were there this year, hated the place so much we are going back again this year, we are staying in the Scoiattolo.
latest report
Mosha Marc, Have you looked at these people??

www.ski-2.com

They are in Champoluc, but might be an option.
snow report
bruisedskier, I know! I know!

Torn between offering fellow sH information and keeping schtum...
snow report
bruisedskier, cheers. I had but they're undercut by Crystal quite a bit.

bruisedskier, our dates are 22nd Feb to 1st March.

The more I read about this area, the more I like it. It doesn't sit so well with the rest of the group though. Sad
ski holidays
You have to remember with SKI2 that their prices include ski passes AND lunch vouchers, they have some nice "alternative" places to stay though.

22nd, hhhm, might pass at the airport wink

What are their issues? There's a little for everyone.

We had a great time last half term. You can see the snow park in the background here too.

http://youtube.com/v/WhFLzQV3ETo

As you can see we had to hold back the crowds to get a decent shot for our video.
snow conditions
Alagna used to be considered the Italian La Grave with a huge amount of off piste (and in the other valleys to a lesser extent). Mind you, they have put in a big piste down the main valley since then and rebuilt the cable car with a lower top station and closed a couple of high up drag lifts. Consequent to these last you have to walk more to get to some of the off piste lines, but even so....
The Gressoney valley is the middle one so a good base but don't expect any apres activity to speak of outside your hotel - the place is tiny.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy