Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski bags, and packing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am currently looking at ski bags, i have driven myself mad. Hard shell or padded bag? I have considered a hard shell fishing rod case which is a cheap option.

What i really want to know, do people just take 1 bag with skis and ramm there clothes in? Or do you take a separate bag and hand luggage?

So new to this. Heard some airlines, make you take out clothes from ski bag?

Grateful for any advice

Thanks

Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dals, it depends on the airline and their baggage allowance!

With BA I put my skis, boots and some clothes in a board bag that comes in under the weight allowance. Then I take a carry on weekend case with the rest of my clothes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last time I put skis, boots and snowboard in a board bag with a few bulky clothes, then put snowboard bindings and snowboard boots in main case along with how ever many cloths would fit. All fit ok and was bang on the weight limit but managed to get a huge chunk taken out of the top sheet of a ski by some very bad baggage handlers.

this year Im going to try to get 2 pairs of skis in the board bag with some clothes, both pairs of boots in main bag and then try to sneak my board into my mates snowboard bag when hes not looking and the bindings into my girlfriends bag when shes not looking too. Whatever I end up doing all my gears getting bubble wrapped this time.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends!

I have a big case with sheels so normally put snowboard and boots in there. If I've had to pay fort board as an extra I'll check in a case with clothes. If on BA (so board bag IS my included check in) I'll squeeze my clothes into the board bag and hand luggage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dals, Hi.

Due to weight restrictions on single bags, and the airlines desire to turn a profit, I'd look for the lightest bag possible for skis; so soft case and no wheels.

Then stick your boots in your normal bag with the rest of you're kit and you're sorted.

I found that with all budget carriers this puts me under their weight allowances and also means I can take enough clothing for at least a week.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When flying BA my Evoc Snow Roller has my skis & boots, Mrs M's XC skis & boots, poles and as many of my clothes as will fit in under the weight allowance. The rest of my clothes are split between Mrs M's hold bag and the kids. That way we get free ski carriage for 2 people. This is no problem with the generous BA cabin baggage allowance.

If flying with a less desirable carrier both sets of skis & poles go into a soft single ski bag and the boots go in our hold bags.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
1 skier 1 boarder for us - padded oard bag has himself's board and boots, plus assorted bulky clothes like hoodies/bodywarmer. My ski bag has skis and poles, and again bulky clothing to pad out (although it is quite decently padded in the first place). My ski boots, his bindings in suitcaes along with everything else. Never yet been asked to open the ski/board bags to prove or disprove what is in there.

You do of course run the risk that skis and boards are probably the first thing that get offloaded in the event of the plane being overweight or short on sapce, so if all your ski clothes are in there....you'd gt hire equipment in the event of delay but you're stuck without your jacket etc!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy