Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski the whole season 2014

Poster: A snowHead
You miss my point a bit, I think - I'm 36. At my age, I would take his offer. At 21, I'd have gone to be with other 21 year olds, survived on 3 hours sleep a night, got drunk and got laid a lot. Hangovers, an increased appreciation for my own time and a permanent girlfriend rule this lifestyle out these days.

My point was thus that nixmap's offer will suit some people - it won't others. The weird accusations of exploitation and frankly bizarre references to Swiss consuls on this thread strike me as being a little bit, well, ridiculous.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Harry Flashman wrote:
At 21, I'd have gone to be with other 21 year old, survived on 3 hours sleep a night, got drunk and got laid a lot.

Ok, so maybe read again what you have quoted me as saying in this thread, and perhaps then you'll 'get' it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perhaps.

I wouldn't be so prickly. I picked up on your post as a random example of an attitude I question, not as the sole progenitor of it - there are far more extreme examples. Happy to delete the reference to your post if this would soothe ruffled feathers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Harry Flashman, I have no problem with someone objecting to my attitude but I don't really see how you can when you say you'd have gone for the party and beer money option at 21, which is exactly what I was suggesting nixmap's kids' attitude would be. I also have no problem if you think it's "prickly" of me to point this out to you, so there's really no need for you to delete anything.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah - I get your point now (took a while)! I hadn't focussed on the fact that you were talking about his kids' attitude, and only theirs. Yours was the wrong post to pick to make my point; in fact yours actually reinforces mine, saying that for some folk this offer would work, and for some it would not. So in fact, I picked entirely the wrong post to object to.

My argument still stands, but the target of it was incorrect; should have picked masque or similar. Apologies.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Harry Flashman wrote:
should have picked masque.

Now it's time for popcorn Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Harry Flashman, As has been said before, it is a job, therefore a Swiss work permit is required, working without a permit in Switzerland as a 'foreign national' requires a work permt. To work without one will lead to deportation. Simples!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm an EEA national - getting a a temporary work permit is hardly a hardship if absolutely necessary. It is a job - but very much a part-time one, and payment is accommodation and lift pass.

Frankly though, I'd probably wing it and hope for the best. This is probably irresponsible etc etc, but there it is.

My point was that this isn't some hellishly exploitative offer. If you take it, you know the risks. It's a better deal than many paid jobs, given the amount of time off and quality of digs.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As someone who would probably be ideal for this if it wasn't for the fact I have no savings to sustain myself whilst out there, I'd go for it too. It's just a mutual arrangement between friends - as long as there were some groundrules in the interests of both parties, particularly with regards to the kids and should anything go wrong. Fair play to Masque for pointing out the potential legal issues, especially considering it being Switzerland and all, but any good grown-up will realise that it's awkward territory in any country and would treat it accordingly.

The risk is on nixmap's side of the deal - having a stranger live in your properties and potentially look after your kids.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been away in the аrѕе end of nowhere . . . t'other side of Winnipeg . . . mud roads, wilderness and NO McDonald's wrappers Shocked No phone, no data no nowt but long hours and renewed disgust for the oil industry Evil or Very Mad had to agree to have the truck searched and all cameras removed to carry the load Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
call me dave wrote:

The risk is on nixmap's side of the deal - having a stranger live in your properties and potentially look after your kids.

The risk is on both side. As mentioned above, the "non-worker" is violating Swiss immigration law. Granted, the chance of being found out is low.

As for nixmap, it's not that different than hiring any other household help. He must have hired nanny when the kids were small, and cleaning staff etc along the way. Nothing happened then and it's even less likely to happen now the kids are older. It's not as risky as it seems to you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can't believe all the fuss about this.

Scenario... You meet someone down the pub and get chatting. Mention to them you've got a chalet and need a house sitter over the winter season. Agree to some 'house rules' as they say they're interested as they could do with a holiday....

what's the difference?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

what's the difference?

the pub isn't full of interfering old or jealous farts with nothing better to do than moan about the same things over and over... just like old people in fact Shock
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spud, geeo, the difference is we are talking about Switzerland a nation who do not tolerate foreign nationals being in thei country for more than 12 weeks without a work or residency permit.
Neither of which come with the job on offer.

I'ts illegal - that's the difference!

And yes I have worked in Switzerland - with a work permit Very Happy

edited to clarify the exact number of weeks rolling eyes

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 22-08-13 16:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wrote:
spud, geeo, the difference is we are talking about Switzerland a nation who do not tolerate foreign nationals being in thei country for more than a few weeks without a work or residency permit.

[/b]

Wrong.

Look here http://www.bfm.admin.ch/content/dam/data/bfm/rechtsgrundlagen/weisungen/visa/bfm/bfm-anh01-liste1a-e.pdf and here : http://www.bfm.admin.ch/content/dam/data/migration/einreise/merkblatt_einreise/mb-grueezi-e.pdf

UK and EU citizens can enter freely, in most cases for 90 days without concern.

As Flaine Skier ( who we see lives in Basel) said higher up.
snow report
Quote:

UK and EU citizens can enter freely, in most cases for 90 days without concern.

Also Yanks and Canukistanis. 90 days before you need a tourist visa (assuming you are not working of course).
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
spud, geeo, the difference is we are talking about Switzerland a nation who do not tolerate foreign nationals being in thei country for more than a few weeks without a work or residency permit.

Change the "a few weeks" to "a few months", it still applies.

It's still illegal after the 3 month mark, which the "offer" expects to last beyond.
ski holidays
mishmosh, Right!
a few weeks is about 12 in my book whichever way you try and spin it .....it's still illegal.
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
mishmosh, Right!
a few weeks is about 12 in my book whichever way you try and spin it .....it's still illegal.

I tend to round up to months once we get into them. Your comments might have been misleading to any punter looking to take an extended break in Switzerland.

Its becoming frustrating to see people lying or misleading with simple checkable facts in order to make their argument.

You are right that it is "illegal" in any event for an EU/UK citizen to remain in CH after 90 days and anyone considering doing a self funded season there should take note.

Q. Have the Swiss deported skiers in breach of this rule ? Can anyone give an example?

It's also illegal to : drive at over 70mph on the UK motorway. Its "illegal" (breach of T&Cs) to pack 2 sets of skis in one bag and pretend they are one pair with all your extra clothing as well. Its illegal not pay your cleaners tax and national insurance. All of these breaches of the law carry serious penalties. But these laws are breached every day, and I wager by quite a number of people on this forum.

I think you will find that Swiss authorities won't bat an eye to having a long stay guest during the ski season - especially if the family are net spenders in their economy.
snow report
Quote:

Its "illegal" (breach of T&Cs) to pack 2 sets of skis in one bag and pretend they are one pair with all your extra clothing as well

What law is that breaking?
ski holidays
mishmash, My issue with this isn't the people at the heart of the matter, in fact I couldn't care less.

What I do object to is this website being used to carry an ongoing advert for an illegal job.

But as always it is Admins call (it's his site and therefore his choice) and by default seemingly is one of the number of people you are accusing of breaking laws not paying tax etc on this forum.

Quote:
laws are breached every day, and I wager by quite a number of people on this forum.
Please don't judge others, that you haven't met, by your own apparently low standards.

Checking around various internet sites not only does the illegal worker face court so does the employer and she/he could lose their residency status.

So the stakes are much higher than you are trying lamely to apply particularly to the employer.

mishmash wrote:
Its becoming frustrating to see people lying or misleading with simple checkable facts in order to make their argument
mishmash wrote:
I think you will find that Swiss authorities won't bat an eye to having a long stay guest during the ski season - especially if the family are net spenders in their economy.

rolling eyes Laughing wink
latest report
mishmash wrote:
It's also illegal to : drive at over 70mph on the UK motorway. Its "illegal" (breach of T&Cs) to pack 2 sets of skis in one bag and pretend they are one pair with all your extra clothing as well. Its illegal not pay your cleaners tax and national insurance. All of these breaches of the law carry serious penalties. But these laws are breached every day, and I wager by quite a number of people on this forum.

The penalty for driving above 70mph is a couple hundred quid in fine. The penalty for putting 2 pairs of skis in the ski bag is again a couple hundred quid of excess luggage charge!

Those are more "serious" than working without a work permit?

mishmash wrote:
Its becoming frustrating to see people lying or misleading with simple checkable facts in order to make their argument

Are you "serious"??? rolling eyes
ski holidays
Yawn. Don't apply if its not for you.

If it is, do it.
latest report
musher wrote:
Quote:

Its "illegal" (breach of T&Cs) to pack 2 sets of skis in one bag and pretend they are one pair with all your extra clothing as well

What law is that breaking?

Simples - Law of Contract.
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
mishmash, My issue with this isn't the people at the heart of the matter, in fact I couldn't care less.

What I do object to is this website being used to carry an ongoing advert for an illegal job.

But as always it is Admins call (it's his site and therefore his choice) and by default seemingly is one of the number of people you are accusing of breaking laws not paying tax etc on this forum.

Quote:
laws are breached every day, and I wager by quite a number of people on this forum.
Please don't judge others, that you haven't met, by your own apparently low standards.

Checking around various internet sites not only does the illegal worker face court so does the employer and she/he could lose their residency status.

So the stakes are much higher than you are trying lamely to apply particularly to the employer.

mishmash wrote:
mishmash wrote:

rolling eyes Laughing wink

"by your own apparently low standards." - No, by my own experience and my low expectations.

"Checking around various internet sites not only does the illegal worker face court" - Please show so we can have a definitive answer.

"So the stakes are much higher than you are trying lamely to apply particularly to the employer." In previous posts I have made it clear I think all the risk lies with Nixmap. cf "As was seen in Les Menuiries case (different jurisdiction ) authorities side with "exploited" and "trafficked" workers when employers are not 100% compliant. So all the risk really lies with Nixmap."

The difference of opinion here is that you think this is an illegal job and I think its is sensible and convenient "arrangement" which will almost certainly succeed.
snow conditions
abc wrote:
mishmash wrote:

The penalty for driving above 70mph is a couple hundred quid in fine. The penalty for putting 2 pairs of skis in the ski bag is again a couple hundred quid of excess luggage charge!

Those are more "serious" than working without a work permit?

mishmash wrote:

Are you "serious"??? rolling eyes

Check the facts again please - if you quote oranges compare with oranges (ie Swiss maxed out immigration law vs UK maxed out traffic law - AKA "you cant have your cake and eat it" ) :

Speeding £1,000 fine (£2,500 for motorway offences) / Discretionary disqualification 3 to 6, or 3 (fixed penalty)

https://www.gov.uk/highway-code-penalties/penalty-table

just a few weeks, just a couple of hundred quid.... This poo-poo is easy to look up people!
snow conditions
Not run away, been up in the wilderness of Canada (and I'm too cheap to pay what AT&T want for their roaming charges . . . Shocked ) post soon Twisted Evil
snow report
mishmash wrote:

Check the facts again please - if you quote oranges compare with oranges (ie Swiss maxed out immigration law vs UK maxed out traffic law - AKA "you cant have your cake and eat it" ) :

Speeding £1,000 fine (£2,500 for motorway offences) / Discretionary disqualification 3 to 6, or 3 (fixed penalty)

just a few weeks, just a couple of hundred quid.... This poo-poo is easy to look up people!

And the "fact" on Swiss immigration law for working without a valid permit?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
mishmash wrote:

And the "fact" on Swiss immigration law for working without a valid permit?

I haven't got the first idea . I d hazard worst case enforced deportation - so free easy Jet home and a story to tell - Its not the USSR , you can go back again. I cant really see it as likely given these circumstances - " long stay house guest helping out with chores" - by the time a court date is set the season is finished. abc, seriously , how do you think it could be worse? Prison time (costing CH more ?) Fine based on unpaid income vs zero income?

I didn't come on saying I knew the answer - I came on saying that some "facts" were way off and clearly stated to intimidate people interested in pursuing the possibility.

All I am saying here is a number of people have come on breathing Naplam at Nixmap, quoting BS without back up and the only reason I can see for it is that they are envious because they secretly want to go or they think he is too privileged.

For all those "its illegal" commentators - this is the same forum that has 1600 post saying the ESF vs ski host decision - which is French National Law - is nonsense.
so slightly hypocritical no?

conclusion:

Filthyphil30k wrote:
Yawn. Don't apply if its not for you.

If it is, do it.
latest report
more on deportation etc ---- [ IF THIS THREAD NOW HAS THE SAME INTEREST FOR YOU AS JAPANESE KNOTWEED - LOOK AWAY NOW..]

"The deadline for leaving Switzerland is specific to each case, emphasised Burnens. “If the person is not a threat, they get up to three months’ notice. But when we are dealing with serious cases, like a drug dealer, deportation may be immediate."

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss_news/Swiss_wrestle_with_expelling_undesirables.html?cid=32659476 - International Service of the Swiss Broadcasting Corporation

Guet Nacht!
ski holidays
mishmash wrote:

For all those "its illegal" commentators - this is the same forum that has 1600 post saying the ESF vs ski host decision - which is French National Law - is nonsense.
so slightly hypocritical no?

mishmash, Laughing
snow report
So you are on your ski holiday in France and the chalet host says:

"Buy me lunch and I'll ski with you today and show you some of the good off-piste spots that you will enjoy."

Do you say:

1) That would be cool
2) Not for me, I'm really an on piste skier
3) I'm calling the police, that is obviously illegal

I'm 100% sure that Masque and boredsurfin would do the right thing and call Les Flics, but I'd go for 1.
snow conditions
rungsp, perfect.
latest report
rungsp wrote:
So you are on your ski holiday in France and the chalet host says:

"Buy me lunch and I'll ski with you today and show you some of the good off-piste spots that you will enjoy."

Do you say:

1) That would be cool
2) Not for me, I'm really an on piste skier
3) I'm calling the police, that is obviously illegal

I'm 100% sure that Masque and boredsurfin would do the right thing and call Les Flics, but I'd go for 1.

I'm taking a walk in a park. A mother pushed a stroller in front of me and said "Watch my baby for 5 minutes and I'll buy you lunch".

I don't think I'll be calling any child wellfare agency. But I'll be buying my own lunch!
latest report
abc, Laughing
snow conditions
FFS anyone from the EU can easily get a 6/12 month L permit with or without a job...

It's a good deal if you want cheap accommodation for a ski season in Swissland Cool

If you don't then why does it even bother you...
ski holidays
On a unrelated subject does anyone want a holiday in Bolivia? All expenses paid , just need my large box of Daz washing powder brought back to the UK.

Email me if you fancy a holiday.

Info@drugmule.com

No work permit required.
snow report
Filthyphil30k, Laughing
snow conditions
That's it - two amusing posts on this thread... that's the best it's going to get.

Good luck nixmap and to any snowHead who applies for the job (oh and good luck too to Masque and mishmash - you guys seem quite evenly matched in this contest at the moment).
snow conditions
Filthyphil30k, Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy