Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski the whole season 2014

Poster: A snowHead
sloop wrote:
If you injure yourself whilst informally teaching your "friends'" or friends of "friends'" children, will you be covered?

Shocked Shocked Shocked rolling eyes
No the children are liable, I read it on the interweb.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
livetoski wrote:
Skied Klosters for the first time earlier this year, would love to spend a season there, can I run Snowshepherd from Switzerland?

http://youtube.com/v/iP1HPY8Cqas

Yes, but you would of course need an assistant who is familiar with the ski tour across to Galtur in the Silvreta valley..... Oh guess what, I,m your man Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
livetoski wrote:
Skied Klosters for the first time earlier this year, would love to spend a season there, can I run Snowshepherd from Switzerland?

http://youtube.com/v/iP1HPY8Cqas

Yes, but you would of course need an assistant who is familiar with the ski tour across to Galtur in the Silvreta valley..... Oh guess what, I,m your man Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nixmap wrote:
sloop wrote:
If you injure yourself whilst informally teaching your "friends'" or friends of "friends'" children, will you be covered?

Shocked Shocked Shocked rolling eyes
No the children are liable, I read it on the interweb.

nixmap, I was asking a question about personal medical cover, not about liability.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've seen this thread the past couple of years and always been surprised by some of the responses - if I were in the right position it's something I'd look very closely at, and I think it's a great offer for the right person, I'm sure nixmap always ends up with plenty of genuine interest and good applicants despite some of the skepticism shown here.

I'd apply, but there's just one of me, and I think a couple would be better (although my best friend is a fully-qualified childcare professional, also taking time off over the winter, hmmm.... Shame she doesn't like skiing Smile), I can't teach, plus I'm job-hunting over the winter, and wouldn't want to commit to something like this and leave people in the lurch when I got a job sorted. But if I sort out contracting and a few other things, next year I might be knocking on nixmap's door Smile

I noted Masque's concerns - but I have a swiss permit, and full swiss health insurance, swiss driving licence etc - I'm sure there are lots of other people in the same position who could do this without any legal concerns, especially considering the huge number of expats in Switzerland. As for the kids care - I'm assuming nixmap wouldn't just accept some random off the internet but would do quite a lot of talking, gathering details etc beforehand.

Similarly, I'd be surprised if anyone reading about this signed up without some serious chats with nixmap first to really understand who they are, more details etc. Which would probably answer a lot of questions asked on this thread - but in a way that meets everyone's privacy needs.

I do think it's good Masque raised his concerns though, to make people stop and think seriously first though, and really consider what questions they'd have.

I've no idea who nixmap is - it's unlikely I know him/her as I believe they're in German Switzerland? But I know a few people in Geneva who might offer something similar, and thinking of them, I can't see an issue with the arrangement if both parties go in with their eyes open and research done.

Anyway, good luck nixmap and any applicants!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fixx, first rate post! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the return to sanity Fixx.
A number of people in the same position as me watch this thread with amusement, and interest.
Some years back when we went away to the pacific in February for the holidays our friendly snow heads got invited to 2 other friends places who sampled their cooking early on in the season, In the end they they got a week on slope in Engleberg and Arosa while we were away for not much effort., (I think they still did some cooking and helped out with other things).
There are always considerations that people have to make, but every time so far its worked out very well for everyone.
We will see about this year, so far the field is still open.
I hope very much when my kids get a lot older they consider something similar, rather than hiking round Asia with a backpack and a shoestring or some thankless job with a TO.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

hiking round Asia with a backpack and a shoestring

can be pretty interesting and enlightening, actually. And some (by no means all) kids who do a season with a TO get a lot out of that, too - I have interviewed some who made good use of the experience. They ended up no worse, or better, off than when they started. To do the kind of thing you are suggesting would, of course, cost money; fine if you are subsidised by well-off parents but I do think it's actually quite healthy for kids to stand on their own feet. If the work in your chalet is as easy and congenial as you have suggested, it would not be exactly a challenging and stretching experience, would it?

I did interview one girl who claimed on her application to have started her own business, child-minding, in Switzerland. Turned out that Daddy had a chalet, where she stayed for nothing, and she made a bit of extra pocket money baby sitting for folks. A season spent working as a nanny with an outfit like Esprit would have given her some useful experience to draw upon.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, I agree, my daughter spent 5 months this year working like a slave in Verbier (but still played hard) then went backpacking round Asia where she had her credit cards stolen, fractured her arm, had stitches on the knee amongst other little challenges. I know she's a walking liability, but by god it has done her the world of good and made her realise that life as straightforward as you think when you get to 19 years old.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nixmap wrote:

I hope very much when my kids get a lot older they consider something similar, rather than hiking round Asia with a backpack and a shoestring

I'll reiterate the fact that I see no problem with this offer and I think Masque has been ridiculously OTT... but I backpacked round Asia on a shoestring and absolutely nothing bad happened at all - no thefts or injuries or anything... so not sure I learnt much or realised that life isn't straightforward etc. but can still guarantee I had way more fun than I would have done hanging out with a middle aged couple and their kids in Gstaad wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
miranda wrote:
but can still guarantee I had way more fun than I would have done hanging out with a middle aged couple and their kids in Gstaad wink

depends what you do and what you enjoy www.dedicated-project.com was pretty fun (apparently), I wasnt invited to make a segment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:

If the work in your chalet is as easy and congenial as you have suggested, it would not be exactly a challenging and stretching experience, would it?

Have you ever wondered , if you insist in perpetuating the myth that life is challenging and hard, then that might be self fulfilling.
I think that living in Gstaad would stretch most peoples experience, if not entirely suspend belief, but more in a positive way
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nixmap wrote:
rather than hiking round Asia with a backpack and a shoestring or some thankless job with a TO.

I haven't done any of that. And I strongly suspect nixmap hadn't either.

There's so much arrogant in his posting, I can't imagine having to deal with him in person!

I would definitely consider having to eat with him bloody hard "work"
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
nixmap wrote:
rather than hiking round Asia with a backpack and a shoestring or some thankless job with a TO.

I haven't done any of that. And I strongly suspect nixmap hadn't either.

Nope, I think there are better ways to see the world, or ski a season, which doesn't have to mean being sponsored.
Namely earn some money first, and do it with a little more style.

Quote:
I would definitely consider having to eat with him bloody hard "work"

Funny Pam W doesn't think it would be challenging at all Smile, Nevertheless, different opinions make great conversations.
Challenging and changing each others opinions, or understanding new perspectives from each other, doesnt sound like work to me..
Well at least if it doesn't descend to hectoring.

Smile

After all , everyone seems to be at it in this thread again. !!

Laughing Laughing Laughing [/quote]
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nixmap wrote:
I think there are better ways to see the world, or ski a season, which doesn't have to mean being sponsored.

I love the idea that being your housekeeper is doing a season with 'style'. Can totally see your kids going for this logic: skip the gap year travel, knuckle down and earn money, and then you can afford a season volunteering to do people's household chores without pay! Laughing
ski holidays
nixmap wrote:
Nevertheless, different opinions make great conversations.

Only it wasn't a different opinion. It was a condescending remark. It's only "interesting" to one side of that "conversation"

Wait till your kids are old enough to follow your advice and end up on the other side of that "conversation".
ski holidays
nixmap wrote:
snowbunny wrote:
Switzerland jailed a couple of illegal workers this year. These were folks with no permit.

? That make Switzerland unique in anyway or is this just more FUD?

These were folks in Geneva this summer AFAIR. It's been in the Swiss Press. No idea what happened to their employers. I seems it's no longer enough to kick out illegal workers.
snow report
I'm less interested in going to Gstaad since I found out Roger Moore is likely to be raising eyebrows in Crans Montana these days. Presumably Chas still rocks the old grey rompersuit and neckerchief at Klosters though.
snow report
nixmap wrote:

Nope, I think there are better ways to see the world, or ski a season, which doesn't have to mean being sponsored.

I disagree. I've done travelling 'in style' and on a shoestring, and I felt I learnt a lot more about the countries I was in and myself when I was on a shoestring. Skiing might be more of a toss-up, but I still think you'd learn more if you're forced to economise at times.
latest report
miranda, OTT? That's always subjective. I was at the Consulate for a personal purpose and this thread subject was used to define what I could or could not do if my visa application is approved. What I found astonishing was that Nixmap carries almost no risk in his arrangement much more than a slap on he wrist if things go all FUBAR. The applicant just entering Switzerland under this arrangement is committing a felony by omission. Let's just stop there for a moment, What happens to your travel record and passport when you are deported from a country? You think you're going to have 'freedom of movement' in the future?

There are plenty of personal arrangement between friends on snowHeads, what defines then is mutually shared risk. Just how many of them are founded in solicitation? In this case it's the 'House' that not just owns the table, holds the cards and keeps the pot but how many of you think that anyone who is willing to knowingly abuse the laws of the Country he lives in is going to stand by you if the proverbial hits the rotating object?

You, the applicant carries ALL the risk in this arrangement whether or not you feel the deal is equitable and you start that risk by just telling a half truth on your Visa application . . . of course you could rely on the great sense of humour displayed by the World's immigration officials rolling eyes

miranda, Not OTT here, just sensible.
snow report
Masque wrote:
miranda, OTT? That's always subjective. I was at the Consulate for a personal purpose and this thread subject was used to define what I could or could not do if my visa application is approved. What I found astonishing was that Nixmap carries almost no risk in his arrangement much more than a slap on he wrist if things go all FUBAR. The applicant just entering Switzerland under this arrangement is committing a felony by omission. Let's just stop there for a moment, What happens to your travel record and passport when you are deported from a country? You think you're going to have 'freedom of movement' in the future?.

No you weren't . There is no consulate in Kansas City. There is an Honorary Consul, the second generation son of a Swiss emigre. He is not allowed to issue Visas and he owns 2 tea rooms and sells chocolate confectionery online. The only felonies and torts he knows about is his fine Chocolate Dobosh Torte - which he sells here : http://andres.myshopify.com/products/chocolate-dobosh-torte-1 (for detail see my post higher). You are telling fairy tales .

As was seen in Les Menuiries case (different jurisdiction ) authorities side with "exploited" and "trafficked" workers when employers are not 100% compliant. So all the risk really lies with Nixmap.

So the real question is "why is Masque crusading from Mid-west USA against Nixmap's quest to complete his 2 centre staffed high end resort season by sharing it with a competent / qualified / interesting individual ) ?"

My only conclusion has to be that you are deeply envious either of him and his situation or of the individuals that are selected and the opportunities that they are getting.

It is actually in Snowheads interest to see offers like this so that individuals can exercise their own choice without nannies like you tearing it down for them. And it is therefore in the forums interest as well - it drives "traffic".
ski holidays
mishmash wrote:

My only conclusion has to be that you are deeply envious either of him and his situation or of the individuals that are selected and the opportunities that they are getting.

Tend to agree with all of that, except the above....from knowing him.
ski holidays
mishmash, Which is why I ended up applying to Chicago . . . wink
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
I was at the Consulate for a personal purpose and this thread subject was used to define what I could or could not do if my visa application is approved

Coming from the USA it is more difficult for you to get a visa and if you do get one then you are much more limited in what you can and cannot do in Switzerland.

This arrangement is not a problem for anyone from Switzerland or the EU.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as I doubt nixmap will be offering you the option to abuse your visa (if you get one) anyway...
latest report
Flaine skier, that's a good point I'd forgotten about. Mrs ricfrench has family(mostly) in USA and also an aunt just outside Zurich, last time they visited us they wanted to do an impromptu visit to Swiss and didn't believe they needed visa's, all 6 turned round at Zurich. "I told you so" was not very well received Laughing
Because they managed to get into USA and get their green cards, they seemed convinced that was like an automatic authorisation to visit all EU countries, they just would not believe that Swiss is not EU, even from the aunt that lives there.
ROFLMFAO.
Still it kept then busy for a day
ski holidays
Good to see the nixmap thread is back again... but wow... Masque that's a bit strong... just spending three hours thinking about an internet thread seems a bit much, never mind going to a consulate or accusing him of pimping his children.

Masque wrote:
.... find a Swiss Consulate in Kansas City and have spent an interesting 3 hours going over this and prior posts with a Consular official. All I will say is that anyone applying for this should be very aware that they could and probably will be be arrested, heavily fined and will certainly be deported.

Masque wrote:

....then he is pimping his kids on the internet to any potential harm that the internet can produce Evil or Very Mad

But I really don't understand why anyone gets wound up by this... Surely anyone that is interested would know exactly what the arrangement would be... If I had a partner that liked skiing, cooking and cleaning... I'd be applying in a flash... Actually just wish I had a partner that liked skiing Very Happy Laughing
snow report
Quote:

But I really don't understand why anyone gets wound up by this

Because it's illegal?
ski holidays
This is like a program on Dave.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
mishmash, Which is why I ended up applying to Chicago . . . wink

You must be Jason Bourne.
snow report
More like Jason King...

..."dilettante dandy"
snow report
I had to look that up! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_King_(TV_series)
snow report
Flaine skier wrote:
Coming from the USA it is more difficult for you to get a visa .
ricfrench wrote:
Flaine skier, that's a good point I'd forgotten about. Mrs ricfrench has family(mostly) in USA and also an aunt just outside Zurich, last time they visited us they wanted to do an impromptu visit to Swiss and didn't believe they needed visa's, all 6 turned round at Zurich.

No, they wouldn't need a visa to visit Switzerland if they were US citizen!

However, they most likely would need a work permit to legally work in Swiss

Clearly, to partake in nixmap's scheme, they would presumably enter Switzerland without a visa (not required), cleaning and cooking but "not working" in his chalet. So they wouldn't be applying for a working visa.
latest report
WayneC wrote:

But I really don't understand why anyone gets wound up by this... Surely anyone that is interested would know exactly what the arrangement would be... If I had a partner that liked skiing, cooking and cleaning... I'd be applying in a flash... Actually just wish I had a partner that liked skiing Very Happy Laughing

Wayne, some people believe that coming to stay with a fellow snow head and helping out with some chores on the weekend is "venal and predatory".
Other think its a a genuine and practical mutually beneficial way for each to get more snow time.

Some have obviously had a bad experience elsewhere in the past and are making the most of it.
Everyone is disappointed at the lack of feedback from previous years and imply that that is not a good sign,
I suspect if it was really that terrible at mine you would see some postings pretty quickly.
Depends on your perspective.

Nick.
latest report
nixmap, As always I wish I had the time, and money and freedom, to go and do this. Is it any more than if I went and stayed with my Swiss friends for 6 months and helped out in their house with the cooking, cleaning and child minding whilst I was there. Kind of helpful visiting friend rather than worker. nixmap, I hope you find someone as I always do.
snow report
Megamum, Very Happy I've just had a great idea; how about forming a team... You mostly help out with the cooking, cleaning and child care, and I mostly help out with the skiing... There must be a snag somewhere but can't think what it is... Happy
snow conditions
LOL

Quote:

There must be a snag somewhere but can't think what it is...

Only one bed?
ski holidays
no... still not seeing the problem... Embarassed
snow report
You'd have to change your user name when you flounceo off....? Twisted Evil Given that one Wayne already has.... Toofy Grin
snow report
miranda wrote:
nixmap wrote:
I think there are better ways to see the world, or ski a season, which doesn't have to mean being sponsored.

I love the idea that being your housekeeper is doing a season with 'style'. Can totally see your kids going for this logic: skip the gap year travel, knuckle down and earn money, and then you can afford a season volunteering to do people's household chores without pay! Laughing

I really don't get this attitude, I have to say.

The person who volunteers for this will work a 3 day week, with a luxury chalet at their disposal for the rest of their time. They will have free accommodation in their own accommodation in a luxury property. Given that a shared room will be thousands of Euros, this is not to be sniffed at. No pay, admittedly, so you will need spending money.

Comparison

1) rent an apartment and work. You may make a profit - just. But you will get naff all time on the slopes.
2) work for a ski company. You will make a profit (of about EUR100 a week). But 1 day off a week, and antisocial hours - if chalet staff, very early mornings 6 days a week, including weekends.

In both of these scanerios, your accommodation is likely to be rather inferior. And you will still most likely be cooking and cleaning - just possibly for people who like to vomit all over the place after getting in at 3am, or with weird and weekly differing dietary needs. If you are a chalet cook, you will cook the same thing week in, week out (with those irritating variations mentioned), with no room for flair or creativity, using the cheapest and most rubbish ingredients you can get away with. As someone who likes to cook, I can't think of anything worse.

The bit that worries me are being in charge if Nixmap's children - I have no issues taking care of friends' kids. But these are strangers, and children of a proto-employer. I would prefer safeguards in place such as insurance etc for this.

If it was just housekeeping, this would be a great way to spend a season.

Personally, if I get this season on the mountains (looking increasingly doubtful), I would probably just bum, or do casual work, as it would be a short break from a career that pays. If this were in a resort I wanted to be in, I would actually e-mail nixmap and ask for a job spec. For someone like me, this would be perfect - avoid boredom, have a lot of time to myself, cook for people (which I love doing) and know that my guests aren't going to wreck the place/keep me up until 4am getting hammered. 5 days a week to do whatever the hell I want - couple of nights working in a bar for a bit more social life, rest of it skiing/reading/learning a language.

This or chalet slave for EUR75 a week? At 21, I'd have gone with the latter, for the party and some beer money. At 36 and with some cash behind me, my own kit & 4x4 to take out there for mobility and the other trappings that working for a few years have brought me, I'd take nixmap's offer like a shot. Time and a lie-in are more important to me than cash these days.

I guess the point I am making is that to some people, this offer makes a lot of sense. To some it won't. But there is no need to paint the offeror as some sort of child labour-using workhouse owner. It all comes across as a little bitter, truth be told.

As for Masque - seriously, what the hell? You come across as slightly...unhinged. Not a good look, I must say.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 21-08-13 10:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Harry Flashman, you say at 21 you'd take the party option and beer money rather than wanting to do nixmap's household chores in exchange for use of his home during the week, so you obviously do 'get this attitude' Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy