Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski the whole season 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Time to start the ball rolling for 2014.

If you like the idea of skiing all season out of your own private chalet, but don't like the idea of working a six days a week for a tour operator, or don't like the idea of spending too much, then hope this might be of interest to you.

We are a private family of 4 living in Switzerland, we have a couple of residences that we use on weekends and school holidays.
We would like to find a couple of helpful volunteers to help look after them (and us) for the winter season.

Simply speaking, that means helping out on weekends and in turn getting the rest of the week for yourselves to ski or enjoy the Swiss winter..

We split our time between chalets in Gstaad, and Klosters
Inside the chalets there are fully segregated apartments this affords you privacy when you need but also close enough to be able to feel included in the show.

We only are in one place at a time, and generally that depends on where the snowfalls balanced against where he best party is.
During the week of course you can use the full facilities of either chalets when they are empty, we just expect you to be at the right one as well.
Transport is provided.

This is not a job, which I have made clear for the last 4 years, we want help you enjoy the season as much you help us to, just don't shred all the powder on Friday. Save some for us.

Typically we would arrive most weekends on a Friday night, and leave Sunday evening.
Of course there are some chores we expect to share

Sometimes cooking, some cleaning, occasional child minding (ages 8 and 11) off slope and on
Ski teaching some of our guests if you are up to it can be rewarding, ski teaching our kids might be revealing, - body armour not included..
Other helpful activities ensuring a stress free weekend.

There isn't that much to do, we generally don't trash our own place and , there is not a new set of guests every Saturday.
I'm pleased to say that even on the busiest weekends mostly there is time enough for everyone to get on the slope - sometimes together - sometimes not.

In the week do what you like. Ski passes and local transport included, shared meals are also part of it.
Getting here and what you consume in your own time is up to you.
Occasionally we may have house guests, and school holidays mean we would stay for longer periods which is an extra work load, but not a disaster always more fun

As usual you can get your questions answered here..
I hope again we can help some snow heads to get more snow-time and they do the same in return

Nix.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This thread is normally a mess, so I'm excited to be first!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems like a good deal though, hope you find someone that fits in with what you want well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You've done well Nix. A second chalet. Nice one.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like fun, it'd give me time to finish some writing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque wrote:
Sounds like fun, it'd give me time to finish some writing
Shocked
wow, what changed your mind
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nixmap wrote:

Ski teaching some of our guests if you are up to it can be rewarding, ski teaching our kids might be revealing

Seems like a new addition this year. Appears that you want your own private instructor who will of course need to hold the right qualifications to instruct in Switzerland (wouldn't want to find anything dodgy in the deal would we Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nixmap, any chance you could situate your next chalet in a French-speaking area, please? In particular, I've conceived a strong desire to re-visit the scenes of my youth in Crans-Montana. Pretty please. Toofy Grin (I wouldn't want to go and live somewhere where I didn't speak the language fluently and thus, much as I like Klosters - don't know Gstaad - I wouldn't want to have to rely on my English and to spend my time only with the English people who frequent that area.) Toofy Grin

The only snag I can see in the deal - which I don't think is totally above-board, but I don't care - is the notion of skiing with your children. My skiing ability will be a joke in comparison with theirs, so it could be a dangerous business for me. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As always, sounds great for the right person. Shame I'm no ski instructor and have a boring 'real' job and mortgage/other commitments. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I don't think its entirely 'above board' either but as nixmap's family are looking for something just for them and not running a business, I'm not sure it really matters - I can see people happily signing up to this in full knowledge of what they're doing, bearing in mind they can walk away any time they like if it doesn't work out, but also that they can be sent packing any time too. As long as the owners were nice, I could see myself signing up for it if it fitted in with my situation.

What I do find much weirder are businesses (like chalets/ restaurants/ B&Bs) taking on people on a similar basis to deal with paying customers using sites like this: http://www.workaway.info/ (the sort of site I'm guessing inspired the use of the word 'volunteer' in the past, which I seem to remember put some people's backs up as much as anything).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well I worked out it would cost me about £4k to do this. Shame I haven't got £4k. Nor a job that would let me have 4-5 months off...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 7-08-13 13:30; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I used to stick up for you... but that is just plain greedy Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Presume you needed another cellar?

Sounds a great deal and nice to see people being positive about it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gone up in the world from "shitty Meirengen"
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds awesome! Where do I sign?!!
snow report
Could potentially be very interested in this, will take some consideration though as it would involve taking a gap year from Uni. Sounds like an amazing opportunity though!

I've sent you a PM.
ski holidays
Any chance of real feedback from your previous victims this year?

The dodgy aspects have been discussed in the past and potential applicants can search for themselves.

What may be useful for new applicants is to know:
How much it cost them for the season?
How much work was really involved?
Any extras expected that weren't mentioned?
What their 'employer' was really like?
Best bits / worst bits?

From the replies so far it seems this place has really mellowed out, so it could be quite productive for you if we could hear something 'from the horses mouth'
snow report
A Lurker, very good questions. Not new questions, but nonetheless very good ones. wink
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
A Lurker, very good questions. Not new questions, but nonetheless very good ones. wink

A salesman needs to know how to sell and from previous outings this particular salesman is not too good at answering customers questions...
snow report
nixmap, We both know the principle is dodgy, though the base premise would be ideal for me this winter . . . but there are two huge red flags.
1: The legalities and liabilities of any sort of teaching.
2: In 'loco parentis' is taken VERY seriously in Switzerland and ANYONE who is not an (immediate) family member must be registered with the Swiss authorities or be qualified in child care and work for a registered organisation . . . it is a CRIMINAL offence for a situation to be otherwise.

Knock those on the head and I might consider it
snow conditions
Popcorn at the ready, expecting low-rent political thriller, I'm shocked to see Masque and nixmap on the verge of getting a room. Has this franchise turned into a gay rom-com? Not the twist I was expecting.
ski holidays
Here we go again, as usual we'll get the same sort of stuff that you normally find on the HYS sections in the BBC website.

Given the opprobrium this post attracts annually, I can only assume that all the detractors must live virtually saint-like existences
ski holidays
Skied Klosters for the first time earlier this year, would love to spend a season there, can I run Snowshepherd from Switzerland?

http://youtube.com/v/iP1HPY8Cqas
ski holidays
botw, now that flouncing around at the Gstaad Palace is on the table, Masque is interested Wink
latest report
livetoski wrote:
Skied Klosters for the first time earlier this year, would love to spend a season there, can I run Snowshepherd from Switzerland?

http://youtube.com/v/iP1HPY8Cqas

livetoski, that looks very nice. Who's the guy in the red jacket - can't believe you didn't stitch him up for some avi gear while you were there wink
snow report
Quote:

Don't see why not Very Happy
snow conditions
A Lurker wrote:
nixmap wrote:

Ski teaching some of our guests if you are up to it can be rewarding, ski teaching our kids might be revealing

Seems like a new addition this year. Appears that you want your own private instructor who will of course need to hold the right qualifications to instruct in Switzerland (wouldn't want to find anything dodgy in the deal would we Toofy Grin )

Actually most of our successful applicants have been qualified ski instructors, but its not a requirement. I have taught many of my friends an family how to ski, who happen to be staying with me, I think the distinction is that is you are running a comercial operation (in france?), then providing ski hosts is not allowed. Clearly if i am using ski school facilities or something like that then naturally I expect thats not really fair either. Seeing as I am not running a comercial operation of any kind then I fail too see a problem if some of my guests decide to help teach each other on the slopes.

As regards, teaching our kids it might turn out that the "teaching" and "lessons" happen in the other direction.

Smile
ski holidays
nixmap, why do none of your previous 'volunteers' return for another season?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, lol jon I did he had an airbag off me and some other gear, he's my old mate Simon from Uni lives in Klosters now, we had not seen each other for over 30 years.

He's a bit old school when it comes to gear LOL
snow report
Masque wrote:
nixmap, We both know the principle is dodgy, though the base premise would be ideal for me this winter

There is nothing dodgy about it at all, its a genuine wish to share benefits and chores as I would expect of anyone who comes to stay.

Masque wrote:

1: The legalities and liabilities of any sort of teaching.

You are making much more of this than it really is.
I teach my friends to ski all the time there, are no liabilities or legalities, just a certain amount of trust that I know what I am doing. Mostly I find it extremely rewarding.
Same happens in reverse, sometimes when I want to ski with adults (for example to go off piste), one of our group will volunteer to take the kids and intermediate skiers on a different route, thats more appropraite to their skills. This is also rewarding for me as I can also get more out of then day.
In my experience The more capable skiers you have in your party, the better the day as the job of helping the intermediates, is less or a bother.

Masque wrote:

2: In 'loco parentis' is taken VERY seriously in Switzerland and ANYONE who is not an (immediate) family member must be registered with the Swiss authorities or be qualified in child care and work for a registered organisation . . . it is a CRIMINAL offence for a situation to be otherwise.

Poppycock! I get friends to look after my kids all the time and I look after theirs in return.
I suppose youll tell me that if my kids have a sleepover in a friends house then the house needs to registerd as a hotel or childcare centre.
Either you completely miss the point , or , you are just making it up.

nix
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

I used to stick up for you... but that is just plain greedy Little Angel

Smile Greedy, surely not , I thought I was sharing.
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
nixmap, why do none of your previous 'volunteers' return for another season?

Mostly becuase people can not take 4 months holiday every year without getting paid, but we stay in touch and some come back to visit or recommend friends.
snow conditions
A Lurker wrote:
Any chance of real feedback from your previous victims this year?

The dodgy aspects have been discussed in the past and potential applicants can search for themselves.

What may be useful for new applicants is to know:
How much it cost them for the season?

most couples had about 3-4k chf between them mostly spent on food and week day excursions.
A Lurker wrote:

How much work was really involved?

Depends what you call work, would you include joining a dinner party, and sking with us.?
A Lurker wrote:

Any extras expected that weren't mentioned?

Oh I expect so, nothing that you wouldnt expect to do as part of sharing regular chores though.
A Lurker wrote:

What their 'employer' was really like?

An incredibly nice guy. snowHead
A Lurker wrote:

Best bits / worst bits?

Very big snow fall - / Clearing the snow to get out skiing. (not any longer as the drive is heated. Cool )
A Lurker wrote:

From the replies so far it seems this place has really mellowed out, so it could be quite productive for you if we could hear something 'from the horses mouth'

We value our privacy, and really the response one might get in here is not exactly encourageing.
ski holidays
I think it sounds like a sweet deal. Our biggest outlay when doing a season was accomodation - if we had an option not to pay for a roof over our head and to work part time we'd have snapped it up!

I hope you find a good couple.
ski holidays
nixmap, this sounds amazing! I would love to talk more about this. Would it be possible to get your email so I could send you my CV and discuss further? I'm very interested in this! Thanks
ski holidays
A Lurker wrote:
pam w wrote:

A salesman needs to know how to sell and from previous outings this particular salesman is not too good at answering customers questions...

I rather think this salesman relies on a bit of old fashioned intrigue to draw out appropriate "customers", and a bit of attendant "all publicity is good publicity". At least he now discloses where the properties in question are whereas previously some mild Sherlocking was necessary.

It's a principle that works as a "mates" thing, when poo-poo happens or mates fall out the proposition becomes rather more problematic as I believe Masque has direct experience of with a certain entrepeneur in La Rosiere (still subject to gagging orders?).

There is a separate question of whether this is an "advert" and ought to involve contribution to sHs of course.
snow report
This looks like a reasonable deal if you are planning to do a season, and you will still have costs, but it will cost you a lot less less than if you paid accommodation as well.
snow conditions
Welcome back nixmap, unfortunately, as in previous years, I fall into this trap......

queen bodecia wrote:
Well I worked out it would cost me about £4k to do this. Shame I haven't got £4k. Nor a job that would let me have 4-5 months off...
snow report
nixmap, for once, I have the money, and I may not even have a job in 3 weeks time, however I may not be able to persuade hubby to give his up for the winter.
latest report
Quote:

There is a separate question of whether this is an "advert" and ought to involve contribution to sHs of course.

Quite.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy