Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2013 / 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Conditions are not so good on the Moyen Face Nord today. Someone dislodged a patch of windslab and went sailing off over a cliff to his death:

http://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2014/03/06/collision-mortelle-pour-un-jeune-skieur-de-7-ans-a-la-joue-du-loup
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh dear.
Always a risk on that slope
I wonder if the warm weather will result in more unfortunate events.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A very sad day indeed, not just one but two deaths in the area. Sad

We had heard, third hand, about the skier killed on the North face this morning following an avalanche but have only just seen the article about the snowboarder killed on the cul du nant towards Champagny le haut this afternoon who fell 100 metres to their death.

The avalanche risk has recently been reduced to level 2 and maybe this is giving people a false sense of secruity when considering whether to venture off-piste..
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, sad news. As per all the pics on that post from Weds the snow was very very sluffy and needed careful management, also some areas of more textured snow tucked away here and there... It is a big and serious place, for all the proximity to the ski area.

The Cul du Nant one sounds nasty too - the Cascade du Py is a big old waterfall Shocked - and they can't have been far off the normal route as well...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i have been given the opportunity to come to either les coches or plagne 1800 for a week from march 22, i have heard horror stories about queues, so what can i expect for that week, also the piste map shows a black run coming down from the glacier avoiding downloading on the cable car, the derochoir, does this run get very mogully, thanks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
compostcorner, by that time the French school holidays will be over so it will be lovely and quiet. I doubt you will have to queue at all. It's a great week to come.

Dérochoir is a nice run down from the glacier but it is steep and narrow in places and always mogulled. It's also often closed.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for your answers, i understand its quite warm over there at the moment, i just hope the snow holds on, i' like to ski to champagny, montalbert and monchavin.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Derochoir was open today and was a right f****r. Moguls and more moguls on a 53% slope. La Combe and La Frete above however were absolutely excellent. Very warm today and snow is mushy. Nice and slow and easy to regulate speed on.
Geisha from La Grande Rochette was open this morning and shut this afternoon: from the chairlift we saw 2 avalanches caused by an off piste skier...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
compostcorner wrote:
i have been given the opportunity to come to either les coches or plagne 1800 for a week from march 22
So which one?
You also wrote:
i' like to ski to champagny, montalbert and monchavin
So i would advise Plagne 1800. But if you were thinking of also skiing Les Arcs then go for Les Coches.

The current warm weather is going to punish the slopes down to the bottom villages.
The runs down to Champagny might even be closed come the 22nd without some cooling and more snow.

Gämsbock is right: the French holidays finish the end of this coming week and queues should fade away until Easter.

Dérochoir is a fun run in good snow. The top bit is not really very difficult, but there is a middle section - steep, narrow, big moguls - that in bad conditions can be quite unpleasant (unless you like that sort of thing).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
compostcorner, I've been out here since last Saturday. There was a lot of snow the week before we arrived and snow depths are currently excellent. Though we have had sunny days since Wednesday the temps have remained cold until today when they've been warmer particularly in the villages. Although anything can happen I'd be very surprised if you couldn't ski down to Montchavin and Montalbert in two weeks time. There is currently loads of snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks everyone, the derochoir sounds a bit beyond my capabilities, i can do steep and narrow, but add moguls and its a definate no no. i do have a choice between les coches and plagne 1800, i have been given similar prices from the companies involved, so its not a price issue, les coches just sounds like a better place to stay, but plagne 1800 is probably a better location for the skiing, i"ve been to les arcs, so dont need to go over there, i have been skiing in late march before, so i am used to the slushy afternoon snow. we"ll probably decide in the next couple of days which location to stay at, you never know, one of the offers might be withdrawn and the decision made for us. incidently, the last thing i did on last years ski holiday was break my arm, just lost control on a blue run in val d sere, not concentrating again, so i just hope i have not lost my confidence.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
compostcorner, i'm out in Plagne 1800 from next Friday (14th).
I'm not sure I agree that Les Coches is a better place to stay - I wonder what made you think that Confused .
Anyway, with any luck the warm spell will be over by the time you come out - see Weather Thread
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i can only go by what i've read, but les coches seems to be more villagey
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
compostcorner, yes, I can see you could get that impression from looking at what's out there on the web.

So, ifyouski.com states: "Of the eleven 'villages' that constitute La Plagne, the lower-lying Les Coches (1450m) is one of the more attractive. Set in wooded terrain, it feels more like a traditional Alpine village, certainly more so than its monolithic brothers Plagne Centre and Plagne Bellecote"

Not quite my impression.
I think a number of sites rather merge Les Coches with nearby Montchavin, which is a real village complete with mooing cows.

For example, in the Wikipedia entry for Les Les Coches you read: "Opened in 1980 as a modern satellite to Montchavin, a traditional Alpine farming community. Much high quality, principally self-catering, accommodation."
Easy to then think the "traditional alpine farming community" is Les Coches rather than Montchavin.
Wikipedia dacribes Plagne 1800 "as the backwater of La Plagne with a special charm. An old mining village that still sports the traditional wooden chalets with locally quarried 'blue lauze' slate roofs."

Laplagnet.com: "Les Coches (1450m) is less picturesque than the other villages, being purpose built, but it still has a pleasant ‘village’ atmosphere. Plagne 1800 is more of a picturesque village, for those who prefer to retire to somewhere a bit more scenic after a day on the mountain.

laplagne.co.uk: "La Plagne 1800 provides a great centre for a family ski holiday in La Plagne. Plagne 1800 is one of the nicest and prettiest of the high altitude ski villages in the la Plagne ski area", whereas "Les Coches is a purpose built village, construction was started in 1981. Most of the accommodation in Les Coches is apartments although there are a growing number of chalets"

Thit last description of Plagne 1800 as "one of the nicest and prettiest" is rather fanciful, but I would still rate 1800 over Les Coches for "villagey".
If you want a proper village then go for Montchavin or Champagny.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
compostcorner, +1 to what Jonpim says. Monthchavin is a real village. If you want better access to skiing go to 1800, with all due respect to Monthchavin it is a fair haul in the mornign to get to the real skiing and if you go back for lunch its a long haul back out. The one real advantage of Montchavin is that it is perfect for the vanoise if you want to ski the whole of Paradski. If you only plan to ski La Plagne then go to 1800.
snow report
thanks snowheads, the argument for going to 1800 is getting stronger, as i dont need to do les arcs maybe it is the better choice
snow conditions
compostcorner, Bearing in mind also the higher temps of late, better to aim high.
ski holidays
Heading out to Belle Plagne this weekend and starting to worry about the snow conditions . WE were in Isola 2000 last year and had heavy snow for the week so this looks so different will the pistes still be ok ? Should we invest in les arc pass , kids will be in ski school in the morning ? Both of us are comfortable blue. Can someone put my mind at ease as to what to expect ? Thanks
snow report
Last week was brilliant - lots of snow then blue skies and sunshine. By Saturday some slopes, even up top, were a bit bare and certainly slushy - soft enough for one of my party to not stop and fly off the edge of the Kamikaze piste 10ft down into a gully. By the time I got to him he was putting his skis back on and I was wondering "Why is John doing that...?"
The chalet hosts we had were wondering if the snow was going to last until the end of the season...
ski holidays
Quote:

Last week was brilliant - lots of snow then blue skies and sunshine. By Saturday some slopes, even up top, were a bit bare and certainly slushy - soft enough for one of my party to not stop and fly off the edge of the Kamikaze piste 10ft down into a gully. By the time I got to him he was putting his skis back on and I was wondering "Why is John doing that...?"

The chalet hosts we had were wondering if the snow was going to last until the end of the season...

Eeek! I hope Gämsbock is right, I'm going to La Plagne on the 22nd too.
ski holidays
final patsy, there has been plenty of snow in La Plagne.
Even in warm weather it takes a long time to go (unless it rains . . . )
The Kamikaze piste is on a south facing slope that often gets quite soft in warm sunshine.
Relax. I am also going out to La Plagne this weekend. I am sure there will be superb conditions.
Dr Rock is clearly related to Marvin or Eeyore. wink

P.S. don't assume Chalet Hosts are experts on the resort - many are only there for one season.
snow report
Jonpim,
Quote:

there has been plenty of snow in La Plagne.

and there is plenty of snowmaking as well, snowHead
snow conditions
Arrive on Sunday at La Plagne so glad to read that there will be enough snow Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

there is plenty of snowmaking as well

Not much use this week, but next week it seems there might be one or two nights cold enough to blow some snow. A number of resorts will have fingers on buttons, waiting for it to reach -3 (I think that's what it needs to be).
snow conditions
Heading out on 23rd, snow-forecast.com is making me cry! Any chance od a dump before we arrive? C'mon weathrr systems, push this high pressure out of town!
latest report
chopkins13, if snowforecast is making you cry, then stop looking at it. rolling eyes
You can't change the weather, so relax and think of all the lovely things you can do in the sunshine.
And surely you don't want a dump of nasty snow: it will close the lifts, make you sit indoors for lunch, and cover the nice flat pistes with moguls. Toofy Grin
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

reach -3 (I think that's what it needs to be).

Depends on the humidity, you can make snow in plus temps if its dry enough.

-3c is the highest wet bulb (head hurts with physics smiley) but you can get that at +3C and 20% rh
snow conditions
Jonpim, +1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, today it was sauna-like even up on the glacier.
Had a lovely pic-nic up there in just t-shirt and thong
But still the pistes are holding up well.
We were Montalbert (1350m) yesterday: bit soft at the bottom, but still fun to ski.
Just above Les Coches to day (1600m) was similar.
And a huge difference of you get into the shade: the Frête run down from mid-station of the glacier gondola (chalet do bellecote chair) was mostly in shade this afternoon and quite hard, when all around was soft and fluffy.
A warning: you need factor 100 sun-cream in this weather.
ski holidays
They are currently preparing the Jean Luc Cretier run (the stade) in Plagne Centre for the forthcoming World cup moguls and ski cross event, training starts this Wednesday with events up until Sunday afternoon.
Most of that area has been closed for the last couple of days so if you were wondering why here is the calender - http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter/guide/entertainment/world-cup-ski-cross-and-moguls-388084.html

Then on Monday and Tuesday Kevin Rolland and 19 of his mates will be showing off their freestyle and half-pipe skills, more details here - http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter/guide/entertainment/shred-it-316860.html

It looks like the good weather is going to last until Friday and then colder temperatures with precipitation is forecast from Saturday at least until the following Wednesday so we may go from Spring to Powder skiing.
ski holidays
Pretty good conditions around La Plagne today - for once it actually seemed quite quiet!

Chalky, firm and grippy snow in couloir Cairn on N Face Bellecote - falling not an option, but very pleasant skiing.
Pistes coming back from Vanoise Express all pretty good, with some nice slush bumps to be skied. No problems skiing down to bottom of Plan Bois in Les Coches. Combes des Arriérés was rather soft at 3.30 (no surprises there) but quite skiable with a bit of width underfoot. Back to Champagny bubble again nice slush bumps, but we did draw the line at skiing down to Champagny itself, which is definitely looking a bit thin...
latest report
offpisteskiing,
Quote:

Pretty good conditions around La Plagne today - for once it actually seemed quite quiet!

ssshhhh, not possible wink
snow report
boredsurfin, Hate to disappoint you but it has seemed pretty busy this week, maybe offpisteskiing, came through at a quiet time.

Even the guy who works behind the bar in the Inverssen reataurant was commenting how busy it was, they think it is even busier than last week. Lots of 'childless' people around who came out the week after the school holidays, next week should be less busy and the week after is looking like it could be desserted.

However, the forecast of 50 cms of snow from Saturday could tempt a few more people out here. Very Happy
latest report
Had a gorgeous afternoon in La Plagne this afternoon.

Hot and sunny weather so we stayed relatively high and did Plagne Centre - Bellecote - Arpette lift. From the top of the arpette lift we did a few runs up and down the Dos Rond lift. Snow a bit slushy in places but holding up well. From there we took the Salla lift and then the dunes run back into Bellecote before stopping for a drink or two in Plagne Centre. Beautiful, warm sunny day

The sun is so nice it's almost a pity it's going to dump it down with snow again at the weekend wink
snow report
Just received a mail from our accommodation agency warning us to make sure our car is prepared because they're expecting a lot of snow from Saturday afternoon.

A nice little top-up of fresh powder, and then some sunshine please! Smile Can't wait!
snow report
Well, it needs it. Lower areas were getting very thin last week. Mud in evidence in Les Coches and Montchavin and the link piste back from Les Arcs was really heavy pm with the odd rock.
snow report
LondonHawk, you will probably get the "nice little top-up".
But not so sure about the sunshine:

I wonder how long before the moans about ghastly weather and no sunshine start . . . rolling eyes
ski holidays
Quote:

I wonder how long before the moans about ghastly weather and no sunshine start . . .

Jonpim, I started a while ago - boo-hoo, poor me. Weeks of sunshine and now this Mad
snow report
Well, pinball13, you'd really hate today.
Started rather warmer than expected and hazy high cloud.
We headed over to Montalbert sector. Snow all soft and yummy.
Then as we headed into the Forporet(1600m?) for lunch the rain started.
Was pouring down as we came out after superb meal.
Got soaked, but once on the Fornelet chair the rain changed to sleet then snow - heavy snow.
Would have been fine then if the Coqs lift was still there, but then we had to go down to La Roche (1540m) and got completely soaked.
Decided to come home.
Now snowing hard here in 1800. Place quite transformed.
Snow on the trees, snow on the road, all the brown bits covered up.
Winter had returned snowHead
snow report
Sunday morning, and still snowing! snowHead
Was woken at 6am by explosions - never known them start that early.
It's cold out there. Light flakes drifting down. And trees heavy with snow.
Could be a jolly day snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy