Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard with brakes...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/EgF9MJm2Tcw

erm..... I'm not convinced.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oooookkayy. no.

Although, with some minor alterations, and an seriously uprated spring, this could answer my own problem in getting my mountain board to ever ollie higher than an After Eight mint.
Backload the board, deploy ze Kontrol and SPANG! Amplitude.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bleeeuuuurrrggggg Skullie
snow conditions
 cran
cran
Why not just learn on a not so steep slope if the speed is a problem...

Seems like a solution to a non existent problem.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not just learn how to do it yourself?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It reminds me of training wheels for bikes, which hugely prolong the learning process. Learning to ride a bike takes about half an hour just by getting on and doing it. You can use artificial aids, but they don't help.

All the people in the first half of that video (the part I was bothered enough to watch) appeared able to ride already. I think it would just postpone some of the learning for beginners.

These consumer gizmos all add complexity to the sport, but don't seem to do anything useful. Most of them seem to be aimed at beginners. I'm not sure if that's because they think beginners would be likely to spend money to avoid learning things, or because only beginners would be ignorant enough to buy embarrassing junk.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure I'd recommend it to our guests. Maybe as a last resort?
One of the best learning tools is a skate board. Push a person around (somewhere where there is no snow) or a very gentle slope and get them to weave around. Jobs a good'un.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It has merit . . . but not in that form. I firmly believe that snowboarding technique is is handicapped by the bulldozing beginner steps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As someone who self learned on a home made board back in 1991, it seems like a good idea to me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

It has merit . . . but not in that form. I firmly believe that snowboarding technique is is handicapped by the bulldozing beginner steps.

Agree... to an extent....

From my experience of teaching, it's best to spend as long as possible on the simple "straight run" (setting learners off on a gentle slope to go in a straight line until they come to a natural stop). Spend loads of time on it so that people become comfortable with balance and a little bit of speed.

Then teach them a little sideslipping. Since people have learned some balance, they can usually then move quite quickly on to diagonal side-slipping and then garlands. Use the garland to rotate the board into a straight run and rotate back out again. Turns usually come quite easily once you can do that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevomcd, Ya got it Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

It's the difference between persuading someone to overcome fear and turn down the hill and providing the skill to control their speed by turning off the hill.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh I remember that fear so well Skullie
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Completely agree with the view that time spent on the straight run is very important and that getting comfortable with the feel of the board will build confidence way more than having a brake.

Unfortunately there are a plethora of start ups out there pushing gear that 'revolutionises' winter sports, but if they really did, then I'm sure the big boys will have bought up the patents long ago!

Here are a couple of my favorites...

http://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/snowbat-ridiculous-snowboard-invention-of-the-week.html

http://onboard.mpora.com/videos/the-incredible-game-changing-screw-powered-snowboard.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

Agree... to an extent....

From my experience of teaching, it's best to spend as long as possible on the simple "straight run" (setting learners off on a gentle slope to go in a straight line until they come to a natural stop). Spend loads of time on it so that people become comfortable with balance and a little bit of speed.

Then teach them a little sideslipping. Since people have learned some balance, they can usually then move quite quickly on to diagonal side-slipping and then garlands. Use the garland to rotate the board into a straight run and rotate back out again. Turns usually come quite easily once you can do that.

Or avoid sideslipping altogether. Unless there's a specific need for an edge disengagement drill, it works better (caveat: in my experience) to go straight into turning. I tend to use a straight run or traverse dependent on terrain to start, J/Fade turns, skidded "C" turns (both of these running out to a natural, terrain-forced stop), linked turns, upgrade to new terrain as it prevents the lifelong habit of the sideslip as a crutch. Terrain choice is often the biggest factor to newbie development on a board.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sorry but i think this is just plain stupid, if your instructor cant teach you to stop properly then find a new instructor, if you cant comprehend what you instructor is trying to say when teaching you how to stop then go back to the hire shop and swap that board for skis and give snow ploughing a go
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy