Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to book flights

Poster: A snowHead
Just planning a trip to Austria in early April 2014. Not ideal timing, I know, but kids are involved...

My question is when is the best time to book flights?

I have used skyscanner to find flights - and there's not a lot of choice right now. The only airline to be showing morning flights to Innsbruck is Thomascook - who seem very cheap before you realise that they want £20/bag and £30/skis on top of the standard price. Happy to pay more, eg, BA, but they're only showing late flights. I am wondering if it's just that much of their schedule is only planned 6 months in advance (a bit like SleasyJet).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm pretty sure everyone these days charges extra for bags and skis. Suck it up and beat that visa
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sooner the better generally. If your buying via the net then make sure you clear your cookies between searches or you won't get the most up to date offers. It always used to be tuesday afternoons when cheaper flights appeared, not sure if that is still the case though.

If your clever packers the TC flight could still work out very cheap if all your skis go in 1 bag, bindings in suitcase if needs be, kids share a case, pack lighter as it is spring etc Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thewinelake, generally as soon as possible. I have seen Easyjet prices dropping as travel date grows near but that's an immense risk to take. I have once found BA business class cheaper than Easy because I left it too late.

I think you'll find that the schedules are planned considerably more in advance than 6 months, even if not released. You also need to bear in mind that Innsbruck (skiing aside) is not a massive destination, so there aren't going to be that many flights anyway. It's a charming little airport however. A quick look on the airport site shows a mere 4 flights on a January Saturday into London.

Munich may also be an option?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I have seen Easyjet prices dropping as travel date grows near but that's an immense risk to take.

if that happens I think you can get the difference back in a credit towards your next flight (though possible only after hanging on for 20 minutes to a helpline costing 95p a minute being thanked for your patience despite your increasingly foul-mouthed retorts to their suggestion that you try the website).
Quote:

A quick look on the airport site shows a mere 4 flights on a January Saturday into London.

but probably also a lot of charters in the season - I once spent many hours there on a low-season Saturday when there were delays caused by weather and it was standing room only.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What resort are you going to? There's more choice of flights going into Salzburg or Munich in the East, or Zurich for the West.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I'm pretty sure everyone these days charges extra for bags and skis. Suck it up and beat that visa

most do. Swiss and Lufthansa don't. There's another thread somewhere with that discussion though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We're going to Oberlech.

I chickened out on the outbound flight and have now booked with Thomascook. Had to go to a Travel Agent in the end as the website seemed rather flakey, and wouldn't let me press the "pay and confirm" button (although it wouldn't tell me why!). I think we've paid a few quid extra for that privilege, but otherwise I think I'd still be fighting with the site!

In terms of the return flight, I have heard that one can get a good discount by buying from the originating country - so I'm investigating that option.

BTW, we're using TC out and BA back as TC are early birds and BA fly in the evening.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pamw
Quote:

if that happens [Easjyjet flight prices reduced after you've booked] I think you can get the difference back in a credit towards your next flight

Thanks for the tip. It works! I've got a £14 towards next flight. I was lucky - call only took a few minutes (at 5p/min)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Always book your accommodation first... If you book flights first your not always guaranteed to find the accommodation your after... I mean after the skiing it is the next most important thing on the list (surely)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Always book your accommodation first...

unless you have very specific requirements in a peak time or want to use dates other than the standard Sat/Sat (or Sun/Sun in some areas) I don't think that necessary. Unlike flights, accommodation often gets cheaper as the date approaches. Booking cheap Sat/Sat flights for non-peak times and then shopping round for accommodation is not a big risk.

Early April is low season in France and in just about any French resort you'd be spoilt for choice of accommodation (though in some of the lower ones snow cover could be a risk that late in the season - you need to check closing dates and snow record). Don't know about Austria but somebody will advise.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, my friends who run a chalet company - they had an enquiry for a family of 4 who tried to do what your suggesting... they booked sat-sat flights, but couldn't find accom for sat - sat... they ended up arriving and staying in a hotel on the sat, then moved to the chalet on the sun, after all this they not only blew the money they saved on cheap flights by having to book a hotel the first night they were in such a bad mood about it they ruined their own holiday by having the hump with my friends...! book accom first

not to mention the early booking discounts most companies give out these days... book accom well in advance and you'll save more on that then you would on any flight...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

couldn't find accom for sat - sat

when and where? I did say that if you were flexible, and outside main holidays, it made sense to book flights as soon as they became available and look for accommodation nearer the time - when, apart from anything else, you can take snow conditions into account. And "early booking discounts" generally only apply to package tour companies, so the question of booking early flights with easyJet, BA or any of the other airlines whose flights will get more expensive nearer the time doesn't really apply to them at all.

It is certainly dodgy to book mid-week flights (often temptingly cheap) unless you are both flexible and resourceful and prepared, for example, to use a valley hotel and drive to the snow. Especially in France, where the Sat/Sat holiday mentality is most deeply embedded.

Plenty of holidaymakers, of course, are neither flexible nor resourceful. wink

I have spent the last ten winters in a French ski resort and outside the main holiday weeks there is always a lot of empty accommodation. And I dare say the same is true in plenty of other resorts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pam... i'm not getting drawn into ANOTHER one of your unnecessary arguments.... the fact is a lot of small companies DO offer early booking discounts and if you book your flights before your accom you MIGHT shoot yourself in the foot...

deal with some one else's opinions for once
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

deal with some one else's opinions for once

Opinions aren't a lot of help; evidence is what is needed. There is a great deal of evidence, all over snowheads, from people who have found themselves last minute accommodation, often at a handy discount, outside peak holiday periods. But as you have declined to provide any evidence of where, or when, somebody found it impossible to get Sat/Sat accommodation there really isn't very much to deal with, is there?
ski holidays
I didn't realise i had to get evidence... Are you the snowhead police... If you read my post you would see that its my friends company so i don't have the ins and outs... But i guess that that doesn't count for anything...

its a shame the words on this forum don't go any bigger because you don't understand the capital letters i put in
latest report
Insiders, not in my experience. There are literally tens of thousands of beds available every night within easy reach of Geneva airport (for example) and literally not nearly as many seats on aircraft.

As Pam W wisely suggests, once you have your flights sorted, you may need a little flexibility, but you have many more accommodation options than the other way around.

Couldn't find Sat-Sat accommodation? Are you serious?? Having trouble finding anything other than Sat-Sat accommodation I can easily believe, but not the other way around.

If you want to book your accommodation first, get it held for you until you can confirm flight availability and effectively book both at once.

thewinelake, just mke sure your travel insurance clearly covers you for the fact that your flights are now on two separate bookings. Can't really think of a concrete problem that this may cause on a week's trip, but still...
snow report
Quote:

I didn't realise i had to get evidence... Are you the snowhead police...

Laughing you are the one that started throwing your weight about, Insiders and being rude. Despite saying you were not going to get drawn into an argument you seem determined to do just that. Of course you don't have to provide any evidence but it's not a bad idea if you expect anybody to take your opinion into account in making their plans.

But so far you have failed to say anything other than that one day, somewhere, a family failed to find the accommodation they wanted. That's not exactly conclusive, is it? I did read your post quite carefully and since it's your friend's place you could presumably tell us where it is, even if you don't know when the problem occurred.

Given the enormous increase in flight costs from the day they are released up to the last minute it is really rather irresponsible to advice against early flight booking, especially without giving any reasons.
snow conditions
There are far fewer flights than accommodation. Simple fact really.
ski holidays
its in the pds at the end of march... And it was a family of 4

and yea, i get peed off when people like pam refuse to accept other peoples experience...

and for the record you can always drive to the alps if you can't get flights
latest report
my mates experiences with their guests was an example of what could happen... Not the be all and end all of everyone's life...

pinch of salt required... No harm in booking your accom then your flights... No harm in looking at all the pros and cons is there? After all not everyone has a great experience every time...

i get wound up when people poo poo everything because their experience was different to someone elses
snow report
Insiders, mate, you seem to have a very low peed off and wound up threshold, seems to me you get peed off and wound up if anyone disagrees with you.

Maybe the internet is not the best place for you?

Hey, ho...

Just sayin' Laughing
snow conditions
I'd always book flights before accommodation, once I'd chosen a resort, especially at peak times.

You look a bit daft if you've booked a place and then struggle to get there.
snow report
Mosha Marc, almost worse, we get fairly frequent requests for accommodation from people in high season who have booked, say, Fri-Fri flights and are struggling to find accommodation. The refrain is often, "I don't care what it costs, I need somewhere to stay".

I know I advocate booking early as above, but you need to be pretty canny when trying to save money on half-term weeks.
ski holidays
I agree,

This year I resorted to having the local authority move our half term away from the rest of the country!!

No flies on me Cool
latest report
Mosha Marc, 21st Feb I presume?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Insiders, mate, you seem to have a very low peed off and wound up threshold, seems to me you get peed off and wound up if anyone disagrees with you.

Maybe the internet is not the best place for you?

Hey, ho...

Just sayin' Laughing

It's not the disagreement it's the unwillingness to consider that other people may have had a different experience... just because something didn't happen to you, doesn't mean it hasn't happened to someone.... reasonable to consider? don't you think...

I get on fine with the internet... ignorant people are another matter entirely, but thanks for your opinion...

just sayin' too
snow conditions
skimastaaah wrote:
Mosha Marc, 21st Feb I presume?

Oh yes. Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
given that the end of March is low season in France and the PDS is absolutely huge with thousands of tourist beds I find it very, very, difficult to believe that a family of 4 couldn't find any Sat/Sat accommodation, even if they were only booking at the last minute. I bet any of the tourist offices could have found them something.

And even if they couldn't, perhaps because they were not very flexible, or lacked the commonsense to ring the tourist offices, accepting that individual piece of experience makes no difference to the advice that out of peak season, providing you are flexible, resourceful, and travelling Sat/Sat, you will find some accommodation. That is the experience of loads and loads of people. the one exception proves nothing.
ski holidays
pam... just accept that this happened...
ski holidays
Quote:

just accept that this happened...

I accept that there are some people so utterly lacking in any kind of initiative that they could fail to find Sat/Sat accommodation in the PDS in low season. But I don't for one minute accept your implication that their existence means less clueless people should book accommodation before booking flights.
snow conditions
pam w, +1

I think it's more likely that someone has got the wrong end of the stick and it was, say, Sun-Sun accomm they wanted.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc, There will be great deals to be had last minute. But sorting out flights now is also tempting. VERY tempting. I'm looking at a 4 day midweek trip to either Zurich/Milan/Geneva from MAN via Heathrow. Loadsa choice, with BA. Just can't decide where to ski.................. Aosta Valley/Arlberg/Trentino..
snow report
I've just been looking at Ryanair Stansted to Bergamo and they only go up to the end of March. Now is this because they haven't planned beyond the end of March or do they stop their winter "ski service" then (which would seem crazy as Easter is late next year and most schools wont have broken up for Easter by the end of March).
snow conditions
dbaskls, If it is ryanair anything is possible?
snow conditions
dbaskls, quite a lot of "ski flights" stop at the end of March IME.
snow conditions
I was looking at Easyjet flights to Alicante the other day (don't ask!) and they only went to Sat March 29th. Clearly there will be flights to Alicante beyond March so I suspect that is just as far as many schedules go right now.
snow conditions
Layne, yep, I am waiting for the later easyJet flights too. But though they have some ski flights after the end of March by no means all the flights available earlier in the season carry on into April.

I think the Easter easyJet flights tend to appear about October - though I do keep checking. I find that SHs is a pretty reliable source - you can sign up for notification with easyJet but IME their system doesn't work, or if you do get an email, it's weeks after the flights are on sale.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy