Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Busy ski resorts in Czech Republic, some advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been skiing in Czech Republic? I am looking at booking a lads weekend and as we have some experienced skiers, we are looking at somewhere different and we fancied Czech Republic, anyone been anywhere good and fairly busy? Or maybe someone could come up with some ideas?

Cheers for any help
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidhammy, I've been to some of the sticky, one lift hills on the Slovak border but the best area (according to my Czech skiing companion) is the Giant Mountains area NE of Prague.

This site gives the most comprehensive info that I know of: http://www.holidayinfo.cz/zima/mapa.php?lang=3&ro=1&cntry=1&rg=0&loc=0&cat=45.

None of the resorts are big by Austrian/French standards and they're all quite low so I suspect the trip will be more about the experience than the actual skiing. There are regular skibus services from Prague to the area so you could make it a fun trip by staying in Praha and commuting. Alternatively, Penzions in the ski resorts are peanuts if you rent a car at the airport to get around and want to experience more of the country. Not many 'resorts' are linked IME even if they're only half a mile apart so a car or a plan of action for which resort to visit each day would be useful.

All the Czech you need is, Ahoj! Dam se jedno velky pivo, prosim! Dekuji! wink

I lived in Prague for a couple of months a year or so ago - love their goulash and can make it perfectly here now. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That sounds great Raceplate.....I will look into it and we are also considering Croatia and Slovenia now as none of the lads have been there before

Cheers for the info
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidhammy, I don't know what sort of skiing you're looking for, but when I was in Bovec (Slovenia) this summer for kayaking I noticed a lot of adverts for guides/freeride skis around, so presumably there's some good stuff there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,
So I tend to ski there annually as Mrs Old Skool is Czech. I've tried several of the ski areas and they're all reasonable but not particularly varied. The largest area is Krkonose and Spindleruv Mlyn (main resort) which has about 30km of pisted runs. It's the cross country that most Czechs are keen on so there's tons of that (85+km).
In Krkonose (the mountain range in the north of the country) you'll find several smaller ski areas too.
Then you'd have to look towards the east of the country past Plzen (beer land), towards the German border in the Sumava mountains to find Zelezna Ruda, an old mining town which doubles as a ski resort in the winter. The runs are steep, narrow and busy! Head across the border into Germany to Grosser Arber for some better, more relaxed skiing,but we're only talking 14km of runs there as well.
Really, you need a car to experience it well if you are the sort who gets bored easily, however, if it's the experience you're after, then head towards Spindleruv Mlyn where the infrastructure is relatively good and enjoy yourselves.
The food is not too expensive and beer plentiful. Then you can get the bus back directly to the centre of Prague if you so choose.
Hotels are best booked online and you can find self catering apartments if you simply type in "Spindleruv Mlyn apartments" into Google.
The ski schools are excellent if you so choose to have lessons with English speaking instructors, and, if you don't go during their school holidays (they don't have half term, just two semesters per year), then the waiting times for lifts are negligible.
have fun.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidhammy wrote:
That sounds great Raceplate.....I will look into it and we are also considering Croatia and Slovenia now as none of the lads have been there before

Cheers for the info

Can heartily recommend

Popova Shapka, Macedonia
Brezovica, Kosovo
Savin Kuk & Kolasin, Montenegro

Friendly, inexpensive, varied skiing for all levels.

Not huge nightlife, but a good laugh.

Kopaonik, Serbia (close to Pristina, Kosovo but not sure if you can go into Serbia from Kosovo. Otherwise it's a transfer from belgrade) is reputed to be party central if that's what you're looking for.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sit back, take your time, and read this report; this guy made a tour covering almost all resorts in whole SE Europe.
http://www.sommerschi.com/forum/reportagen-f8/sos-2013-sued-osteuropa-ski-15-2-4-3-2013-t2945.html

if you can't read german, here's a machine translation by google
http://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sommerschi.com%2Fforum%2Freportagen-f8%2Fsos-2013-sued-osteuropa-ski-15-2-4-3-2013-t2945.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Then you'd have to look towards the east of the country past Plzen (beer land), towards the German border in the Sumava mountains to find Zelezna Ruda

Think that'll be "west" Wink

Some interesting off the beaten path resorts there. Been meaning to get to some for MTBing. And to Jasna, Slovakia for both MTBing and skiing (where there are a few Brits running chalets and minibus shuttle).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oops, was late . Thanks for the correction
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy