Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Austria - Xmas / NY

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

We are now tied to school holidays, and looking at going skiing either for Xmas week (starting 21 or 22 Dec) or New Year's week (starting 28 or 29 Dec). We have not been to Austria in a while, so would appreciate some advice:

* budget is pretty tight this year (we've got some big Southern Hemisphere trips coming up next year - including New Zealand which is a killer). We don't really want to be paying £3k for a week and don't mind self-catering so may rent an apartment. "Kinderhotels" seem very nice but price is such that it will take us waaay over budget.

* most important is childcare.
- I really have no idea about what childcare is available in Austria. The girls will be 4.5y and 22 months.
- The elder did a week's Esprit "Spritelets" in April, and has been asking to go again (a number of times - so she must have liked it... RESULT!!!)
- the younger obv too young to ski; are there generally creches, etc available? Are there any private nannies? Nannies or childcare in hotels/chalets that would let you join, even if you're not staying?

* obviously reasonably snow-sure. Somewhere like Mayrhofen obv. has Hintertux nearby; how snow sure are places liek Zell am See, Maria Alm, etc. at that time of year?

* wife is a cautious 2 week skier; I am a good boarder, and also a (slightly less cautious...) 1.5 week skier. For this, as a family trip, I will probably take ski lessons to spend time with the OH (provided we can arrange appropriate childcare).

Any tips welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is Esprit out of the question as I'm pretty sure they will go to Austria Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Esprit do go to Austria (St Anton or Obergurgl) but with it being Christmas/New Year, not too sure if it would be within budget for the OP...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
boardiac, Christmas week is way less busy and better value than NY. Try these... http://www.kinderhotels.co.uk/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi boardiac, as your eldest will only be 4.5 I don't believe you need to tie yourselves to school holiday for this year as legally she doesn't need to be In school until she is 5?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a good look at Kappl. Great kids area mid mountain for your youngest and is in the centre of all the main ski runs, so dead easy for you to check in. Gasthof Alpenfrieden was great when we stayed and right beside piste. Very good value too.

Was in Zell at half term there and queues were horrendous. Have been in kappl at NY and queues were absolutely fine. Ischgl just up the road. Couple of very family friendly après places too. Innsbruck only an hour away.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zell am See is a gamble at Christmas, I have been there for Christmas about 10 years ago and the runs to the village had no snow.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would it not be worth trying to persuade a relative to go with you to provide child care?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Serfaus is very child friendly, excellent mid mountain kids area and snowsure. At least one Kinderhotel there but v pricey. There is a creche associated with the ski school which is open to all. Not the cheapest Austrian resort but we did Diy there and was doable. Linked resort of Fiss may be slightly cheaper.

The skiing domain is excellent and pretty varied. Do a search as a few snowHead have been. My kids loved it and definitely keen to go back.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can sing the praises of the ski welt Ellmau, Scheffau, Westendorf, Brixen - but reckon for the best deals - skip school for a week in January.
Some great deals to be had with some of the tour operators but it is so easy to organise yourself and with some really cheap flights - especially non saturday flights - need to look into. Apartments are plentiful and often cheaper weeks 2 and 3. Not many apartments available via tour operators. Could probably manange with a 2 person appartement with an extra bed and a childs cot. Transfers easy to coordinate.
Mayrhofen good for skiing - did it with children twice but be aware that unless you are in the centre you need to get the ski bus, then queue for the gondola and then queue for the gondola down at the end of the day. Not a pleasant experience with a tired and hungry child!!
Advantage of Ellmau and Westendorf are the nursery slopes and meeting points are on the ski slopes in the village - easy access, but potential problem is snow conditions. (hasnt been a problem for many years now as snow cannons used.)
Do consider the extra relative for childcare - not just beneficial during the day!! It would probably work out cheaper and you have the freedom not being restricted to meet other child after ski school.
Happy searching ! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another poster in here booked a good deal for halfterm from these guys

http://ski.sunweb.co.uk/

When I looked some if the hotels listed had kids clubs in the hotels.

I have never used them myself.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
boardiac, Christmas week is way less busy and better value than NY. Try these... http://www.kinderhotels.co.uk/

Wot she said....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Zell am See is a gamble at Christmas, I have been there for Christmas about 10 years ago and the runs to the village had no snow.

Mahooooooooosive generalisation... but thanks for the input!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Hi boardiac, as your eldest will only be 4.5 I don't believe you need to tie yourselves to school holiday for this year as legally she doesn't need to be In school until she is 5?

Our school is apparently going to be a bit strict about this... may have to have a little word about pre-5 year old. All the grannies and grandpas are now in foreign lands unfortunately (hence the NZ trip next year).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boardiac, You may find this helpful: http://www.skiingaustria.co.uk/blog/family-skiing-in-saalbach-ski-school/

We may be able to assist at Christmas - contact me if this may be of interest.
latest report
I'm taking the family to Serfaus area over Xmas (have DIY'd it) and the ski schools/creche look excellent. It seems that Austrian ski schools typically do 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon, with supervision over lunch.

Think you'll struggle to organised accommodation over the Xmas/New Year period. There was very little availability when I booked about a month ago, though you should more readily find something in the valley (Reid/Prutz). Great ski area, well worth looking at.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy