Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ellmau - Good for kids??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Hope you can help Smile....

A group of us (10) are looking at various options for next winter, and one which has come up as a possible is Ellmau in the Skiwelt.
None of us has been to this area before, so we were hoping for a bit of advise from the informed snowhead collective before we take the plunge and book anything!!

We've got a couple of TO options, one of which is apparently in the area of the "main Hartkaiser Funicular" (apparently 1 minutes walk).

So, my main question, does anyone know if this "area" is a good spot to be in?
There are 4 children in the group, 3 of whom will be having ski school (ages 5 - Cool, and as such we want the morning chore of getting the kids to ski school as stress-free, quick and painless as possible, is this going to be do-able from the Hartkaiser area??

I'm assuming that we can leave their boots / skis in a locker somewhere near the ski school meeting point (do all the ski schools meet in the same area??)??

Cheers for the help!

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2223116&highlight=ellmau#2223116
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As a general comment I like the Skiwelt and the pistes around Ellmau were very enjoyable to us (group of four 40+ intermediate) when we stayed at Soll a couple of years back. All the villages along that stretch were reasonably accessible and we on occasion used the ski bus or taxi which only cost a couple of euros to start from different points such as Scheffau and Ellmau. Never been with kids though so can't really address your specific questions though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jellemr, Ellmau is great for kids, have taken mine there yonks ago and it has won awards for being kid friendly.

If I were you I'd study this: http://www.wilderkaiser.info/media/ortsplan_ellmau_am_wilden_kaiser_vermieteradressen_2_mb.pdf and work out exactly where your accommodation is. You will see there are a couple of lifts coming straight out of the village and (one of them the Kirchbicllift) and that's a nursery area right there and some of the hotels are bang next to it. Don't trust that "1 minute walk" stuff and, anyway, initially the kids won't need the Hartkaiser.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for the help all Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The HartKaiser Funicular area is a good area for easy access to the main area in Ellmau and on to the Skiwelt but there are three ski schools in Ellmau and two start their lessons on the nursery slopes at the other end of the village too far to walk in the morning. You will have to check the location of your accomodation and the ski school you plan to use. If you book with a TO they do tend to use the ski school which gives them the best deal rather than what is best for you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi jellmr. I think you would need to check where the lessons are. As portman says there are different places the ski schools run from. As you might have already read my report, I found that ellmau and the ski welt was not beginner friendly. There is a place at the bottom of the funicular to keep your boots and skis. We stayed at the Fuchs apartments and got the ski bus every day to the funicular. You could walk it, it takes about 8 minutes to walk there. I just found the whole bus thing a real pain and its not something I would repeat. I also don't know why it is highly recommended for families or what makes it more family friendly than any other resort. Or maybe I missed a trick.

Somewhere I could highly recommend which is fantastic for beginners is either les saisies or valmorel. As you seem to be doing the package holiday I would probably suggest valmorel as les saisies don't have any tour operators going there. Valmorel is also a good choice as it is ski in ski out which I think would suit you perfectly as you mention the morning chore. Al you need to do is get your skis and boots out the locker in the apartment open then door And snap on your skis. They have a separate slope for the kindergarten. I think this would suit your needs more.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy