Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting early grip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Pedantica wrote:
Megamum, that's good news - you agree with a US national team coach! wink

I think Phil should make room on his website for such an endorsement Happy.

http://topoutsports.com/Athletes.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kenny wrote:
jimmer wrote:

With your number 2 type transition, at some point between turns your skis will be flat, at that point, there is no centripetal force, and thus no added pressure other than your weight, extending you legs can only exert that weight, whilst when the ski is tipped centripetal force will exert a lot more.

I can't dispute any of that, I am not sure precisely the measurements of all those forces at the time. It might be interesting to rig up some sensors. Or not. My legs tell me there is a big difference in pressure between those two turns. What I can tell you is if I am somewhat late then not lot happens. If I get it right it feels like a shot-putter pushing themselves across the circle. You want to stay low as much as possible so it makes sense that as the ski flattens you 'hold fire' somewhat with the pushing for that brief microsecond. But if you're going to call that a 'float phase' then I'm not 'aving that Laughing.
jimmer wrote:

The only point I am making is that you can't just create pressure spontaneously, you can move or maintain it (changing weight from one ski to another or fore and aft for example), but if you don't have the right amount of edge angle, nothing is going to happen when you 'press' on the ski.

I think I have agreed with that earlier. A couple of times Wink.

What I would say is that there is a significantly different pressure profile for those two turns which is a result of my inputs. More than just a quick pulse.
jimmer wrote:

The 60 degree slope thing is just to make you think about how you could press on a ski (without sufficient edge angle), whilst your body is accelerating at a huge rate.

We all have a speed limit at which we simply aren't athletic enough to keep up, just like running down a hill your legs are just pushing on thin air! Mine is quite low Embarassed. Then it's all about speed control!

http://youtube.com/v/zRoQga8Jz9o

It would be interesting to rig up sensors, though an easy way to 'see' the pressure is the tracks on a race course, ruts deep at the gate, shallow everywhere else. I have only been hammering the edging thing because the thread was originally about grip, which to me is all edge angle, and rjs felt it was about pressure, which again, I felt was all about edge angle, but anyway, we seem to have run our course here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just watched the stivot video, which is a great example of someone extending their legs and having no grip or pressure in the transition wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy