Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll / Skiwelt help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
queen bodecia,
Quote:
d1e, to answer one of your original points and in line with polo99's point above, SkiWelt is possibly not the best area for beginners
I disagree. Next to Seefeld the SkiWelt is usually billed as the beginners resort! Just stay clear of the Hohe Salve and you'll be fine.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steilhang, did you read the rest of my post? I certainly wasn't criticising the nursery slopes or the ski schools, both were excellent. However, there seemed to be a big jump in ability required to progress from nursery slopes to blue runs. I'm sure some nervous beginners would find many of the blue runs quite intimidating (my friend certainly did). I'm a confident intermediate happy on all colour runs and I often couldn't tell the difference between the red and blue runs. The OP seems to want to cruise around easy slopes with his/her beginner partner, I was just suggesting that SkiWelt might not be the best location for that. Somewhere like Alpbach or Rauris springs to mind as being a bit more suitable (and likely to be less busy).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
queen bodecia, I'm having difficulty understanding why the blue runs in the SkiWelt should be viewed as being more difficult than elsewhere. That doesn't match with my experience, but then maybe I wasn't paying attention.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steilhang, to be honest I wouldn't have noticed either but for the fact that I had a nervous beginner with me when I visited SkiWelt so I'm relaying her experiences. I don't doubt with more lessons and experience she would have gained a lot more confidence, but with just less than a week under her belt SkiWelt was very intimidating.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Ski Welt blues definitely vary in difficulty from say Paradiski which is quite cruisy blue. Most Skiwelt Blues in general IMO in tend to be tracks or narrow if not steep. Narrowness seems to cause more of a problem to beginners than gradient, certainly was the case for me. The reds around Skiwelt are in the main very wide and well groomed so actually seem easier to navigate and allow one to take speed off and gain control. There were certainly plenty of runs good for beginners in Skiwelt to my recollection for every level of skier. The only one I would definitely say to avoid is the red down to Soll under the gondola which is narrow in places and was poorly groomed when we were there albeit the weather was very warm.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A Lurker wrote:
If you aren't going to get lessons make sure you have the best insurance policy money can buy...

Hahaha maybe try reading original post
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jirac18 wrote:
The Ski Welt blues definitely vary in difficulty from say Paradiski which is quite cruisy blue. Most Skiwelt Blues in general IMO in tend to be tracks or narrow if not steep. Narrowness seems to cause more of a problem to beginners than gradient, certainly was the case for me. The reds around Skiwelt are in the main very wide and well groomed so actually seem easier to navigate and allow one to take speed off and gain control. There were certainly plenty of runs good for beginners in Skiwelt to my recollection for every level of skier. The only one I would definitely say to avoid is the red down to Soll under the gondola which is narrow in places and was poorly groomed when we were there albeit the weather was very warm.

Thank you jirac... very helpful. Will certainly steer clear of the red to soll and take the he family run option back to the vilkage.. if not the gondola Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
d1e, I thought you were leaving? I hope that you ignore the sensible advice and don't take lessons because then chances are you wont have the best of times and then you wont want to go skiing again. You come across as a d!ck and the sport of skiing has enough of those already.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shocked . . . . . Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
airbornebadger, in all fairness you come across as a way bigger idiot for posting that. Unnecessary and a clear example of why forums including SH get a bad name.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
airbornebadger wrote:
d1e, I thought you were leaving? I hope that you ignore the sensible advice and don't take lessons because then chances are you wont have the best of times and then you wont want to go skiing again. You come across as a d!ck and the sport of skiing has enough of those already.

Another unbelievably helpful post. You are a credit to these forums.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
d1e, you'll have a great time there, just take your time! start on the nursery slopes, then up on the gondola to the next beginner step which is the Salvenmoos (2man chairlift), then Stockllift (4 man easy red), then Rinner (longer easy red), and when she's comfortable doing those, try the blue family run- but the hairpins can be fast, busy & scary for a beginner so maybe gondel back down the first few days. Do NOTdo the red home run unless you're both feeling confident- it is very steep for a beginner, and often very icy. HTH. Anything else just shout Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I will stick up for the OP here having also received a fair bit of stick when I posted on Snowheads a couple of years ago. Everyone is different and I couldn't tell how my wife was going to ski when we went, and after a full week in ski school with her friends it turned out the answer was "not very well"! She sees skiing as hassle and hard work and sadly it looks unlikely that we'll be able to ski together any time soon. But if the OP is patient and his wife shows ability then I'm sure they can have a good time together.

I was from the typical male 'get to the top of the lift and learn from my mistakes' school of thinking, which I now know is totally wrong and dangerous, though in my defence I was skiing in Turkey where 80% of people are learners and people seem to spend more time on their backsides than upright - so I felt right at home! However, several alpine holidays and no major incidents later I am a competent skier. I don't ski fast, I don't take risks, I prefer less steep runs, and I am aware that accidents can happen at any time. I absolutely love the Alps and I regret not having been able to go for the last couple of years.

I have a Slovakian friend who worked in a ski chalet on the mountain in Hinterglemm. He kept his skiing ability very quiet so I assumed that he must have been good as he was telling me about skiing in Slovakia. Turns out that his Mum is a keen skier but he'd never been on a pair of skis in his life! Off we went from the chalet, and within 20 minutes he could ski competently. We skied every blue and red we could find... I've never seen anyone learn that quickly! My legs were killing me but he insisted on going night skiing later.... Oh, then a game of tennis! He's a machine rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two years ago my wife and I went to Soll for my first ever ski holiday and it was brilliant. My wife and her sister ski very well and I had been going to the dry ski slope in Norwich for lessons.
I took my wifes advice and went to ski school for 5 full days.

To answer your questions:

What are the red runs like in Soll?
We spent the first 4 days on the easy blues (Salvenmoos etc) learning to turn and half of the group were picking it up well while the other half were making slower progress. The problem came on day 4 when we ventured away from the midstation towards the bowl area you mention and the reds were slightly more intimidating and a few of the group had to go back and join another group.

How easy is it to get from Soll to the bowl in the middle of the Skiwelt area?
Not difficult for someone with 4 or 5 days sking under their belt but I remeber having to cross a red that at the time seemed very steep for us learners.
I would think that by the last day or two of your holiday it will be fine if you are progressing well.
I managed to ski with my wife all over the area by the last day but I am fairly sporty, confident and determined. (And had spent quite a lot of time following like a duckling on the salvenmoos)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy