Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Turn radius length calculation?

Poster: A snowHead
The threads about older skis got me thinking about what the turn radius of old skis back in the day, when we called them straight really was, after some searching around it looks more complicated to work out than I thought, so help needed please Toofy Grin

So if my old skis where in mm:
Length 2000
Tip width 85
under foot 66 (updated)
tail 77
contact length 182
boot centre to tail 823
boot centre to tip 1167
sidecut depth 24

Just for interest they were called a slalom setup I think but hey it was back in 1981
Toofy Grin

Oh and no the details are printed on the ski I did check Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 19-07-13 14:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
livetoski, I think you need to find the narrowest point and measure from there, it probably isn't at the boot centre.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs,

yep looks like I made the first mistake the measure above should read 66 not 62! but the narrowest point of the old skis is near as dam it under the boot centre actually
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ignoring flex - try this - http://www.mathopenref.com/arcradius.html

also assumes a proper arc
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What! You've not heard of Physicsman's sidecut calculator?

http://www.epicski.com/t/2681/physicsmans-ski-sidecut-radius-calculator

(Excel spreadsheet hidden under first line)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, from this fine site here, http://www.1728.org/circsect.htm, using a chord length of 1.9m and segment height .024 I get r=20 metres.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
livetoski, check out: http://www.epicski.com/a/sidecut-radius-calculator

The above is a few years old so the links within it may no longer work.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
...and so does Physicsman... Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice one, so the old skis have a 20m radius wow thats a shock for straight skis, on the flex issue then they have pretty stiff tails medium to soft tips and a pretty big under foot camber, well they used to have!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski, ok

No.

Just measured my old very definitely straight skis (Rossi 7SK, circa ~ 1995) and I got an effective length of about 186cms and a sidecut of 10-12 mm giving me a radius in the range of 36-40m....

Which compares sensibly with the reasonably current 32m SG skis also in my garage.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
livetoski, Are you sure you let the calculation run ? Using the spreadsheet I get a radius of 51.6m for your skis.

My final straight slalom skis are 85-60-75 in a 201 which gives a radius of 39.1.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Either they are not old straight skis or someone's forgotten that you have two sidecuts, one on each side of the ski... NehNeh
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs, under a new name,
yep I thought that too, just re did mine and got 55 m radius to be fair thats why I asked the question on here I treid a few calculations using my own excel spread sheet and could not get my head round what the results said, I must be doing something wrong some where?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski, 55m sounds about right
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, no way 55m I could carve these bad boys much quicker than that !!!
snow conditions
livetoski wrote:
under a new name, no way 55m I could carve these bad boys much quicker than that !!!

No you couldn't, you could only carve part of the turn on the old skis.
ski holidays
livetoski, the radius of the sidecut is not the radius of the turn...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy