Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tuning your own skis...

Poster: A snowHead
... I prefer to do this myself, and at my last place of residence, had a nice size workbench in the Garage, that was stable and at a good height.

Unfortunately, at my new place, although i've a garage, we just don't have the room for a permanent Workbench.

So... It got me thinking of an alternative.

Would a Foldable workbench be stable enough for such a job? Something similar to this... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Work-Bench-Vice-Workmate-Workbench-Folding-Sealey-FWB1-/190527681340?pt=UK_BOI_Building_Materials_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET&hash=item2c5c55b33c

Does anyone else have some suitable recommendations?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spud, there are several relevant threads here on Snowheads, searching for "bench" is good. Try http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78915 including follow the link on that page to canyonmanny's blog.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many thanks for the link... I think i have found my answer. Appreciated.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spud, That is all I use, a 20 yr old workmate. I have made up a wooden former that suits our various boot sizes, so with the former in the bindings (holding the brakes up out of the way), I can clamp the former into the workmate and it works fine. If the ends need heavy work or are flexing too much, I also have some tresles that perfectly match the ski height. This allows me to fold everything out of the way when not working on skis.
Noisey
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers for that. I've just ordered Spyderjons 'Beast' Clamp set. So will either attach it to a workbench or tressles. Either way, i'm looking forward to getting stuck in soon, and prepping my skis before i fly out for the season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spud wrote:
Cheers for that. I've just ordered Spyderjons 'Beast' Clamp set. So will either attach it to a workbench or tressles. Either way, i'm looking forward to getting stuck in soon, and prepping my skis before i fly out for the season.

Just a heads up to Spyderjons 'Beast' Clamp set.

I eventually got myself a workbench and some timber, and clamped everything together using the 'C' clamps provided with the set.

Must say, it's an excellent bit of kit and i was able to tune my Skis today, in the cramped Garage, then scraped the wax off outside.

Can highly recommend this set and the service given.

The great thing is...everything dismantles and now folds flat, so no worries about storage. Razz Cool

A few pics...

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are several other relevant threads, searching Snowheads for "bench" should find many of them. They include:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78915
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2314372
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spud, ..I also use The Beast in almost exactly the same setup - but I use a slightly longer piece of board and two Stanley plastic trestles instead of a workmate. I have used a workmate setup like yours but now use trestles since (i) they are a bit higher which helps my back; (ii) give a longer setup which is a bit more stable when working the ends of the skis; and (iii) pack away more swiftly and with less space. But this is just a small refinement on your entirely sensible setup.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spud, your right hand support vice is the wrong way round - spin it around 180 degrees so the prongs align with the left have support. I've got four sets of Beast vices in my shop & they all have the three components spaced at 50cm centres which accomodates any ski length without having to move them. With blades or kids skis I just use one 'half'.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

using the 'C' clamps provided with the set

Being pedantic, I think those are 'G' clamps.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beequin, right on both counts,
Yes G clamps
And yes pedantic Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also use gloves, if you don't, you might end up with this:
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RobW, ...ah...(ouch)....the familiar 'edge thumb' - a nasty case, mind, so you have my sympathy - last Christmas I took off my glove after an evening of sharpening the family and 'guests' skis and my small one's instructor said 'ah...edge thumb...and held out his own hand with a similar cut...' at that point over fifty percent of the assembled instructors whipped their gloves off, held their thumbs in the air and laughed, all nursing fresh, semi-fresh and healed cuts.

The worst thing is doing it, cursing, mopping up the blood, being careful for five days and then doing it again in EXACTLY THE SAME PLACE....aaaaaaaaaaargh......

I find gloves kill my ability to do the sensitive stuff, so it's a question of just being more skilled over time (thank you, Darwin)....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I could have done with not seeing that picture/reading that story the day I ordered my first tuning kit! rolling eyes Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
valais2 wrote:
spud, ..I also use The Beast in almost exactly the same setup - but I use a slightly longer piece of board and two Stanley plastic trestles instead of a workmate. I have used a workmate setup like yours but now use trestles since (i) they are a bit higher which helps my back; (ii) give a longer setup which is a bit more stable when working the ends of the skis; and (iii) pack away more swiftly and with less space. But this is just a small refinement on your entirely sensible setup.

valais2 sounds like a good solution, dont suppose you have a picture? as I need a higher bench than the workmate, so you have two trestles at 90 deg to a piece of wood about 6' long are the trestle about 4' apart with "The Beast" ?
snow conditions
I am going to purloin my brother's metal working bench when I want to do some and just put the clamps on that - I haven't told him yet Twisted Evil
snow report
valais2, Not me fortunately!
snow report
maccaa, sorry no picture since it's all in the chalet in CH - but it's two of these:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/130905257222?var=gv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=65

and then a 120cm by 50cm piece of 18mm ply laid lengthways with the Beast clamps placed on it along the front edge. Packs away to very narrow load of gear. It's also got a holmenkol perspex scraper sharpener (40gbp) screwed to it (my christmas present from my partner last year) which is an excellent piece of kit.

note I use 120cm by 50cm but that's mainly because most of our skis are 160cm or below - if I had longer offpiste planks I'd simply use a 150cm or 160cm length of ply or conti-board.

Conti-board is good since wax splashes just chip off easily.

You can get higher stanley trestles but they are quite a bit more expensive.
snow conditions
Scraping can be heavy work so set your bench height (allowing for the height of your vices) so that when the ski is held for scraping it's height is half way between your wrist & elbow to ensure good posture & no back strain etc.

I reckon I've done close to 2000 hand services & I don't wear a glove & I've never cut myself. If you cut yourself you're doing something wrong - which is usually too much pressure &/or applied in the wrong direction.
ski holidays
Second Jon on the no injuries bit and I've been using a cobbled together vice arrangement attached to screwed together double thickness of 2440x500x18mm pine board fitted to three of the big galvanised shelf brackets from Entrepot de Bricolage. I can sit my 14 Stone carcass on this with little deflection and the height is set just for me. The bench is long enough to take a couple of clamp on Anglepoise lamps, one at each end. Must get round to getting a proper vice set though and perhaps partaking of Jon's expert tuition.
snow report
spyderjon, that's reassuring Very Happy I think I'd find a glove clumsy so can see me being a barehanded tuner. I'll take on board the advice about bench height - I was concerned about this. If my brother's bench is not right 'll make a bench on the side of my garage with a couple of right angle clamps and a length of board at exactly the right height. I've got a mind to do the skis under my car port if I need to build my own area - I can get power from the garage through the window with an extension lead. mcspreader, I did the course some years ago - it is a good day.
ski holidays
I cut myself once brushing wax off a ski.

My health and safety review concluded that in future I must;

1. Only do it when sober,
2. Not get a bit carried away.

Sad
ski holidays
Hahah good advice!
latest report
valais2 wrote:
maccaa, sorry no picture since it's all in the chalet in CH - but it's two of these:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/130905257222?var=gv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=65

and then a 120cm by 50cm piece of 18mm ply laid lengthways with the Beast clamps placed on it along the front edge. Packs away to very narrow load of gear. It's also got a holmenkol perspex scraper sharpener (40gbp) screwed to it (my christmas present from my partner last year) which is an excellent piece of kit.

note I use 120cm by 50cm but that's mainly because most of our skis are 160cm or below - if I had longer offpiste planks I'd simply use a 150cm or 160cm length of ply or conti-board.

Conti-board is good since wax splashes just chip off easily.

You can get higher stanley trestles but they are quite a bit more expensive.

Thanks valais2, ver much appreciate the advice, I think thats the way I will go, but may have to look at the higher trestles as I'm 6'6".

Thanks

Maccaa
latest report
maccaa, The Sealey trestles have adjustable legs.
snow report
I couldn't run to a beast set from Jon (though he is sending the rest of what I need Very Happy ), but for the small amount of use I need I got a cheap set of ski man 'ski vise quick' off of ebay. They fit on my brother's metal working bench a treat. I am surprised at how well the rubber stops the skis from sliding, but it is only a 2 vise set, so bro is going to fashion me a 'boot' that a standard clamp will grab solidly in the middle just to make sure I get no horizontal movement when scraping. They do seem to hold the skis excellently for edging though. Very Happy
snow conditions
beequin wrote:
maccaa, The Sealey trestles have adjustable legs.

Thanks beequin, will check the adjustable height.

Maccaa
ski holidays
I've got my kit from Jon Very Happy Big box full of interesting bits and bobs, luckily I still recognise them from the course I did some years age Toofy Grin When I did the course I don't think we lubricated the file, but I've seen the odd mention online where folks dip their moonflex files in water prior to use. I wondered if this was helpful to do please?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Megamum wrote:
I've got my kit from Jon Very Happy Big box full of interesting bits and bobs, luckily I still recognise them from the course I did some years age Toofy Grin When I did the course I don't think we lubricated the file, but I've seen the odd mention online where folks dip their moonflex files in water prior to use. I wondered if this was helpful to do please?

Megamum, Diamond files should always be used wet - you may recall we did this with a spray dispenser. In general engineering you'd use an oil based cutting lube but that's a no-no on skis 'cause it'll get in to the base & you can't get it out. An alcohol based lube is best but water, spit or snow is fine. Only diamond files (ie Moonflex) need wetting, everything else is used dry.
latest report
spyderjon, Very Happy it was a good few years ago that I did the course Embarassed

Looking at your picture to save another mailing I bet a bottle of methylated spirits cut 50% with water would do the trick wink
ski holidays
Why does the diamond file need to be wet?
ski holidays
Layne wrote:

Not sure it applies to all forms of diamond file, but I know with some the diamond grit is embedded in a silver solder. Using it dry causes just enough heat to soften the solder such that the diamond can shift or even come out. Wet filing keeps it cool so that doesn't happen
snow report
Layne wrote:

Greatly reduces the clogging of the file/stone & increases the cutting/polishing action. Longevity is also noticeably increased. feef's explanation is also correct but most light application diamond files these days are bonded in epoxy that doesn't have the cooling requirement however once you get in to motorised tooling it's still really important.
ski holidays
spud, A bench you flash Bastward! Take up ski racing & everything in your accomadation will be a potential bench, Bath Tubs, balconies, tables Laughing
ski holidays
Fattes13 wrote:
spud, A bench you flash Bastward! Take up ski racing & everything in your accomadation will be a potential bench, Bath Tubs, balconies, tables Laughing

Laughing Tell me about it. I got in trouble a while back for getting wax all over the Chalet dining table, then scratching the backs of two chairs I used as support when scraping the wax off on the balcony....then all the wax blew in through the open doors into the Chalet... Doh! Host wasn't a happy bunny Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy