Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the Risk of Riding in Avalanche Terrain? [Utah Avalanche Center]

Poster: A snowHead
Interesting.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/risk-riding-avalanche-terrain-123792/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It believe the stats (although Im sure that someone will be along shortly to disagree with something) but some of them are just so counter intuitive.
Sky diving is as safe/dangerous as marathon running?! Puzzled
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Um, what is centerpunching?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steilhang, I'm assuming just skiing right down the middle of a slope.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So just being alive for a year carries a similar risk to skydiving 40 days straight.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999 wrote:

Slope off-piste, slope on-piste, ... ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Slope off-piste, slope on-piste, ... ?

Given it's from the States, probably 'out of bounds' ungroomed/not avi controlled. I'm just guessing though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999 wrote:
I was wondering whether it might be snowmobiling, which would explain why doing it is more dangerous at 'considerable' than backcountry skiing. Although, this is something that you do 10 times so maybe that's why it's more dangerous...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well seems to be a Utah avy center common term not snowmobile specific

http://utahavalanchecenter.org/sites/default/files/archive/advisory/print/advisory/logan/20091219.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steilhang, it was also minus 'risk reduction methods.' You may be right about snowmobiling though, from a quick google:

Quote:
A note to snowmobilers who play highmark: To increase your chances of keeping a game from turning into a nightmare, pick windward slopes rather than lee slopes. Start on the edge of a slope at lower angles. Don't "centre-punch" the slope!

http://www.discovertherockies.com/TravelArticles/TheBackcountry//8-36.html

Other places seem to use it in reference to skiing/boarding though (under How will I manage the terrain appropriately?): http://www.mec.ca/AST/ContentPrimary/Learn/Snowsports/AvalancheSafety/DecisionMakingInTheBackcountry.jsp

I think they probably just mean dropping down the centre rather than choosing a line to minimise risk exposure.

Would be interested to know how they got the numbers anyway...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
According to NHS stats, i have a likelihood of dying within next year of 1 in 663, which equates to about 1 in 3300 per week. So next jan if i dont go skiing. 1 in 3300 risk of dying that exact week. Can someone work out how that compares with above?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry that should be 1 in 33000, right? Ie 30 millimorts. Over a week? Appears higher than many of hazardous activities above but presumably thats because above is based on risl of 20 year old dying
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The overall probability of you dying is 1. I'd just take the precautions, and enjoy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
b]Steilhang[/b], Very Happy
However, shouldn't that be about 32? One million divided by average life expectancy in days? (Or have I misunderstood the way this is calculated.)
That's per day, of course. Over a lifetime I suppose it would be one million.

And it isn't getting out of bed that gives the 20 year old 20 millimorts - it's whatever the average 20 year old has and does in a day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
no, probability of "1" = 100% probability.
ski holidays
Oh OK, I didn't notice he had moved from millimorts as used in the rest of this discussion, to more general probability.
snow conditions
Cool chart man Razz
snow conditions
"center punching" looks like sledder-speak for driving the sled straight *up* the middle of a slope.

Perhaps anything with that verb in it is sledding, which I would suspect is more dangerous than skiing/boarding for a number of reasons.
ski holidays
The risk is you'll get destroyed by a giant avalanche!
snow report
peanuthead wrote:
According to NHS stats, i have a likelihood of dying within next year of 1 in 663, which equates to about 1 in 3300 per week. So next jan if i dont go skiing. 1 in 3300 risk of dying that exact week. Can someone work out how that compares with above?

Does that mean you are likely to live until you are 662?
latest report
peanuthead, 1 chance in 663 (if that is right - are you sure - it seems very low) for a year, is 1: 242,000 per day, which is just over 4 millimorts. But the average chance of dying (including all ages) must be about 1 in 80 per year, surely?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy