Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Group booking

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I made a separate posting about a 3rd ski holiday to Val Thorens. Basically, one of my ex workmates (she works in another hospital now) has booked a chalet for 12 people and has given us all a price based on full occupancy. I want to go but I'm not comfortable about taking the chance that the chalet won't be filled and that we will have to pay more money!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keep all neuroses about a single event to a single thread?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, you do put yourself out there wink Laughing

Have you mentioned your concerns to the group leader and is she taking a reasonable deposit from everyone? Though even the most keen and reliable members have to pull out occasionally.

You could always advertise a spare place on a ski forum.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jaysus typical Scottish
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
peanuthead wrote:
Jaysus typical Scottish

Meaning?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Keep all neuroses about a single event to a single thread?

yes, I'd go for that. How many people are ready to pay on the basis of full occupancy. If the organiser gets a substantial deposit from 12 people in the next few weeks, go for it. If she's vague, and they're vague, and it all looks a bit dodgy, and they're all doctors so made of money anyway, then decide NOW to pull out. But don't spend the next six months dithering. Or if you do, dither in private. wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jb1970, would you be willing to go if price ended up being split 11 ways?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jb1970, why not just make clear that you are signing up based on the price for full occupancy, and if the price changes you might need to drop out?

This kind of trip gets organised all the time. Any trip organiser worth their salt gets agreement from everybody before handing over any cash whatsoever, and works on the basis of someone saying they will go means they are going unless they sell their space to someone else.

It sounds like you aren't going to cope with the stress of waiting until everyone has paid their balance. You might be better of signing up for a trip where the price is guaranteed to stay the same no matter what. Something like the bashes perhaps. But you will have to learn not to ask so many questions and just trust in our great leader.

Fundamentally filling a chalet for 12 is pretty easy, you could get half a chalet from just advertising it on here. This assumes that it is a reasonable deal, and everyone is paying the same price.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is still the problem that if you leave food around, even if you label it with your name, doctors are notorious for helping themselves, and when you remark how much the packet of biscuits cost, they dont get the hint and pay you back for the ones they ate.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jb1970 is back with more problems!

Why don’t you just ask the trip leader what the deal is with the price/occupancy thing (normal response) Or maybe just don’t go if it is too stressful for you? Not sure I could cope with you on a trip I was leading...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
peanuthead, or worse doctors are likely to regard all booze as communal so that lovely bottle of single malt you bought will be guzzled like cheap sherry within 15 minutes of arrival. They also love having classy mountain lunches and will always choose lobster and Petrus and then insist on splitting the bill equally.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Work out how much you'd be willing to pay to go on this trip and say to your friend that you'll be the 'n'th member of the group.

So if you absolutely insist on a full booking, then you'll be the 12th, but if you can stretch to a 20% increase in the cost, say you'll be the 10th member. Make sense? No? OK, follow me...

With 12 people going it'll cost, say, £400 per head. If thats your limit, fine you can be the 12th person, if they only get 10 people, you won't go, if they get 11 then you're the 12th and everone pays £400. But is you could run to, say £480 for the week, then you can be the 10th person in the group, so you could pay £480 if your friend can only find 10 people, but if they can find 12, you pay £400.

Still make no sense? Save your money and pay for maths lessons. Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
peanuthead wrote:
...doctors are notorious for helping themselves...

This is true - I once saw an industrial fruit cake devoured in seconds by an A+E staff -
Cake tin opened - a blurr of motion and a sound like a floorboard being passed through an electric planer - cake gone, tin lid left spinning, with a bite mark in it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy