Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy V's France......Bon Soire to Buona Serra

Poster: A snowHead
I've only skied in the 3V's and love the place, been 6 times to different areas......... rolling eyes
I'm Intermidiot level. My vids are on here if you want to see me ski......Anyway
Questions is:
Where in Italy compares to the 3V's for piste choice, size of resort, height & lift services???
I badly want to ski in Italy but am scared of being disappointed after being spoilt by the variation and beauty of le 3V's
I've read about the Sella Rhonda & Cervinia (like the view of the Matterhorn)
But can anyone shed some light on options. I usually ski with my 12 year old so mostly but not exclusively during school hols, he's better than me. We do S/C or catered.
We like steeps, moguls, parks, anything really. Not off-piste yet. But cover lots of kms per day.
Grazie
Ciao

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 15-07-13 12:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd have thought most places compare quite favourably for overall intermediot experience. Val Gardena springs to mind. Cervinia is really pretty good, especially if you buy the bigger pass that allows you full access to the Zermatt side - with the main drawback being some very flat runs on the frontside. Family hotels are a relative bargain in Italia with heaps of very good food and hospitality.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never skied 3Vs but have skied Cervinia and the Sella Ronda. Loved both.

You'll probably struggle for steeps in Cervinia, but if you get the pass you can ski Zermatt too.
You'll probably struggle for moguls at both places.

Plenty of parks to keep you amused though. Big possibility of covering a lot of kms in a day. Jnr and I did our highest of 80km in a day (distance on lifts and ski) on the Sella Ronda.

Food and drink is very good quality and reasonably priced in both area.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers fatbob, Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Molto Grazie hammerite,
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
franzClammer, Selva (Val Gardena) is great, plenty to ski and pretty scenery to boot.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sella Ronda. No way will you be disappointed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franzClammer, Nowhere in Italy compares to the completely and conveniently linked vastness of the 3V. So either set that aside or don't go to Italy.

If I had to spend the rest of my life skiing either in the 3V or in a variety of resorts in Italy the 3V wouldn't get a look in. I know very little about the Italian resorts first-hand (only skied Cortina, and that not much) but that's precisely why I am sure I could happily spend the rest of my skiing days exploring them. For a start, the Dolomites make the mountain scenery of the 3V look very ordinary.

And it's buona sera. wink Provare lo sci in Italia. Non te (?ti) ne pentirai mai

The Italians are far more pleasant and appreciative than the French when you mangle their language. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
franzClammer, Nowhere in Italy compares to the completely and conveniently linked vastness of the 3V.
Sella Ronda does, IMO, providing you are not looking to ski on steep pistes all the time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, but sometimes there are problems with the links? Snow cover? And it needs more thought and planning to get round the SR than just popping over one of the ridges in the 3v with a choice of lifts to get you back to your own side?

Personally I would never want to "ski on steep pistes" all the time! When I was in Cortina for a couple of days I looked for a guided outing round the SR as it's something I had always wanted to do, but I was told the poor snow cover at the time ruled it out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's along time since I skied 3V which is testament to the quality of other areas.
Based at Selva, the Sella Ronda and Val Gardena areas will give you great skiing and great scenery. The reviews say that the runs are short but you can dismiss that. 24km per day is a reasonable tour and you can manage that with little effort. Have a look at the piste map and you tube for actual footage.
Prices for meals and drink on the slopes will be far less than the 3Vs
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, Mili Grazie bella Little Angel
Mangia per pensare
?? Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, I've skied the Sella Ronda in a poor snow year and an excellent snow year. No significant difference in terms of pistes that were available. I'd say the piste management (snow-making and bashing) is as good as anywhere I've skied, so no problems with getting around if the snow gods have been parsimonious.

To do the Sella Ronda circuit requires following a reasonably fixed route, either clockwise or ant-clockwise. Can't see that's much different to thinking about how to access another valley in the 3V. However, I think the great joy of the Sella Ronda is not the (tedious, IMO) circuit, but heading to a different sector each day and discovering the pistes, the views, the restaurants, the languages, etc. In that respect I think it is better than the 3V (and that's coming from someone who loves the 3V, and have skied there more than anywhere else).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar,
That's valuable info for me...where do you fly to, is it long transfers?
Cheers
snowHead

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 15-07-13 14:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, +1 (all points).
snow report
franzClammer, basically what rob@rar, says. I haven't been in a couple of years and I know they have upgraded a few of the lifts so it's going to be better. You won't get the same level of ski-in ski-out that the 3v's has, but then you also won't get the costs. Arraba, Plan De Grabla and Selva are all good. The Sella is a bit of a schlep with (depending on which way around you go) varying degrees of polling but is probably something to tick of the list of things done.

Dantercepes is a great run and probably ideal for your intermidiot level.
snow conditions
franzClammer, For the Sella Ronda Innsbruck is probably the closest, but Venice is also an option (and allows a a day trip to the city on the way back if you book a late flight home).
ski holidays
rob@rar, it sounds great - and I'd have done it this year if fate, in the shape of a fractured pelvis, had not intervened. Sad

I think the year I visited the Dolomites was exceptional. We were with friends who were not skiers, and doing an exploring trip, with some days in Venice and some staying in a place not far out of Cortina. I think we picked a very busy time, as we booked last minute and the Cortina hotels were full. It was glorious weather - for driving, sitting in cafés and enjoying the view and working out what language to order the beer in! We went to quite a few of the villages whose names I knew from browsing in brochures and most of the time there was little snow to be seen from the road/village level - I don't think there'd have been a hope of making artificial snow at lower levels, it was warm, though Venice seemed a bit chilly (it was February). And I suspect the snowmaking was less then, too (it was around 15 years ago). But I was awestruck by the beauty of the area and would have re-visited before now if I didn't have an apartment in France.

I really can't imagine a skiing life spent entirely in the 3V.
ski holidays
For Sella Ronda, I'd suggest choosing Innsbruck or Venice depending on which village you stay in, especially if you want/need to make use of existing transfers. Innsbruck may be closer, but Venice can be much more convenient. The Venice-Arabba bus service has been well utilised by sH. There's also an Innsbruck-Ortisei/Selva bus service. Both are really quite reasonable prices. Doing the opposite turns it in to more of a challenge. Not sure about Corvara and San Cassiano for transfers, but iirc the usual places that sH go to there run their own transfers?

Snow making is impressive - we got a full week skiing in when it was +8C all week, and they'll do all they can to keep the main links going. Just like anywhere else tbh.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

But I was awestruck by the beauty of the area and would have re-visited before now if I didn't have an apartment in France.

Pam, Put your place on hold for a week and come and join us on the Birthday Bash. I'm sure the buttons will be up soon. Toofy Grin

Chris snowHead
latest report
BASH???????BASH???
Did someone say BASH ??
Madeye-Smiley
latest report
pam w wrote:

I really can't imagine a skiing life spent entirely in the 3V.

I've only been skiing since 2011 so 3V's still more than ample so far snowHead
Would like to see the different culture & scenery in the Dolomites though and practice the old parle Italiano snowHead
snow conditions
NeddySkiGoon, I was down for the BB this year but broke my pelvis in January - otherwise I would have been there!! Next year..... fingers crossed.
snow report
pam w

Hope you can make it, nurse that pelvis along. It would be good to put a face to the posts.

Chris snowHead
ski holidays
NeddySkiGoon, the pelvis is fine, thanks. I was skiing on it in April.
latest report
Having skied the major big resorts I would reinforced rob@rar & laundryman view that the Sella Ronda is just as good as 3V.

On paper 3V has 600km piste formed by linking the three valleys of Courchevel, Meribel and Val Thoren. Sella Ronda is formed by linkomg 4 individual resorts of Selva Garden, Alta Badia, Arabba and Canazie. Its main attraction is a full circular loop with which one can travel either clockwise or anticlockwise. The route is well sight-posted and good enough for many skiers to spend a full day just going through it. Within the Sella Ronda the linked run add up to 510km piste. 3V has 200 chairlifts and Sella Ronda got 210.

While 3V is a massive runs and chairlifts Sella Ronda has charm at each of its four corners, like the Hidden Valley, Horse drag, World War II skiing tour and free bus linked to other 3 to 4 neighbouring areas of Dolomites which has a total of 12 areas in total with 120km piste skiable by one Super Dolomites ski pass still cheaper than that of 3V. Sella Ronda covers a much larger area as each link between two resorts is a famous mountain pass liable to close down in a heavy dump. Skiing is the only way to get around. Due to its terrain spread Dolomites does offer varieties of different experience relative to the concentrated hardcore skiing of 3V. As an example there are at least four different loops one can ski the whole day each (Sella Ronda 2 loops, Ortiese/Alps D'Siusi/Santa Cristina(1 loop) and World War II tour by going through Arabba, Civetta, Cortina(only Hidden Valley & Cinque Torri) (1 loop).

Just like any Alpine skiing resort Italy has less crowd than France especially during the mad mid term break.

Cervinia should be taken as a different type of skiing than 3V and Dolomites because it is linked with the spectacular Zermatt which is a top premium skiing resort not for the mass market. One can ski this linked resort at an affordable price by stay at the Italian side. Visitors going after pure skiing should stick with places 3V, Paradiski, Espace Killy, MIlky Way, Sella Ronda, Ski Welt, Ski Amade. Zermatt is for enjoying the nice things in life. Its highest run in Europe and gives you the feeling of skiing at the top of the world. Where else, except in Switzerland, can you unclip the skis, place them on a rack and sit face to face with 10 or 12 friends in total comfort inside a train to going up a slope for a run?
snow conditions
franzClammer, i think you will be disappointed in Italy, based on my assumption you love the mileage and barely ever skiing the same slope twice.

Italian resorts are notorious (allegedly) for exagerating km of piste, as well as slope difficulty.

I have not been to Cervinia but i understand links to Zermatt not always open, and you can realistically only barely get into Zermatt before time to turn back, let alone explore. Links not as efficient as 3V. If you. Want to ski Zermatt, stay in Zermatt (im told).
ski holidays
^ what saikee, said. Been to different areas off the Sella Ronda 6 times now and still not bored of it (anyone who has been might say how could you) the problem is I can't be bothered going anywhere else now.

Did 3 days in Cortina last year as part of a road tour, in the grand scheme of things it was probably 2 days too many and that's the only negative thing I can say about the area. The only reason I say this is because the rest of the area is just so damn good in all aspects compared.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kel, I loved my 2 days in the Tofana sector of Cortina this year and strolling around Cortina in the early evening (day trips from Arabba).
snow report
rob@rar,
Quote:

I think the great joy of the Sella Ronda is not the (tedious, IMO) circuit, but heading to a different sector each day and discovering the pistes, the views, the restaurants, the languages, etc. In that respect I think it is better than the 3V (and that's coming from someone who loves the 3V, and have skied there more than anywhere else).

+1
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
Kel, I loved my 2 days in the Tofana sector of Cortina this year and strolling around Cortina in the early evening (day trips from Arabba).

Each to there own, it's good to have a balanced view. The problem was after a full day we all knew that we preferred the next location (Corvara) wouldn't want to put anyone off visiting Cortina, I just think there are better places on the Dolomiti Superski Pass

After saying that we spent a whole day just skiing the pistes around Cinque Torri one day and we more or less had the pistes to ourselves, amazing day. All said and done you really can't go wrong, can you.
snow report
Kel, agreed! snowHead
latest report
peanuthead,

Quote:
you can realistically only barely get into Zermatt before time to turn back

Is this an informed view of Cervinia from someone not been there before?

From the central lift station of Breuil Cervinia at 2050m one can take two gondolas and one cable car up to Plateau Rosa, clip on the ski for the first time and be in Switzerland. The line marking the Swiss from the Italian side is indicated at the top of this cable car station.

There is one cable car and one chairlift serving the Zermatt link from Cervinia. It is true that the 3480m high altitude Plateau Rosa cable car is liable to be suspended in service in strong wind but the Theodulpass chairlift is less vulnerable. Returning from the Swiss side is less affected by the wind as glacier is served by rows of drag lifts even if the cable car to Klein Matterhorn is out of service.

In any case my experience is even early intermediates based at Cervinia are able to spend some nice time exploding Zermatt. Just try to catch the early lift and one long run is all one needs to ski from the Italian side to the bottom of Zermatt.
latest report
saikee, my info is second hand from people who have been there. They were all consistent in saying its easy enough to get into Zermatt, but quite early you have to turn around and go back so you dont do a whole lot while there, certainly not the damage you could do to Courchevel from VT. But it may be true these people wouldnt have skied as fast as i would, I dont know how fast theyare. But i was advised if i am interested in skiing Zermatt, stay in Zermatt not Cervinia, unlike 3V where you can truly stay in any valley and plan to do most of your skiing elswhere. Do you concur with that?
snow report
peanuthead, Well we have comfortably skied from Cervinia to the farthest point in Zermatt for lunch and skied back with no issues, and without rushing. Also when we have been there the link has rarely been closed. Having said that, if your MAIN purpose was to ski Zermatt, that is the place to stay - though in a completely different price bracket.
snow report
But the Sella Ronda is better than Cervinia anyway.
snow conditions
^+1 for both of the above. snowHead
latest report
Quote:

In any case my experience is even early intermediates based at Cervinia are able to spend some nice time exploding Zermatt.

Early intermediate international terrorists? wink
latest report
peanuthead,

3V is a good example for sizing up a resort as I found 200km is about the optimum size for a skiing resort. One can say roughly the 3V has 200km for each of Courchevel, Meribel and Val Thoren although Meribel is significantly smaller. The Paradiski is made up by 225km from La Plagne and another 200km from Les Arc whereas the 300km piste of Espace Killy is shared approximately equally between Tignes and Val d'Isere.

Cervinia has 150km and Zermatt has 200km. Therefore the time required to explode the one while staying at another is similar to a skier staying in Tignes and crossing to explode Val D or someone staying in La Plagne wanting to explode Les Arc. In a way it can take a skier a good part of a day just going from one extreme end of Courchevel, say at 1650 to reach Orelles side of Val Thorens.

Reaching from one end of a mega size resort to another end is normally a day's skiing for many skiers. In the first attempt one may hardy time to enjoy it. However later with experience and know one's way the same trip can be enjoyed differently. The layout of a resort is also important as a long resort like Valmorel and Saalbach/Hinterglemm can also take a day to go to the far end and back without doing anything else.

I have skied 3V loads of time. It has many attractive features but its concentration of runs/lifts can be confusing if one needs a target to aim at. Place like Sella Ronda has loops so the skiing direction is well defined. So different experiences can also be enjoyment in skiing.

My view is every large skiing resort has its own unique features and while 3V is a substantial facility there remain many other Alpine resorts with equally good infrastructure but more charming characteristics.
snow report
I'm taking cover next winter. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy