Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hints and Tips with Inside Out Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Megamum, exactly, reading, planning, stressing on forums is no substitute for getting onto snow with a good instructor and seeing and working out how it feels to you with hints tips and drills from your chosen Jedi Master!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do all learners hang onto the mountain with the inside ski to begin with? No-one has ever suggested that was what I was doing. Instructors have done all they can to get me onto the outside ski, but no-one has told me why I've found it difficult. It's because the weight on the inside ski feels safer. Or at least that's what it's seemed to me.

Sorry folks, I'm a tad excited here, but something has clicked tonight.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When you're in a "safety position" traversing most of your weight is on you downhill leg which is the inner leg of the new turn so if you're not a natural experimenter or exuberently confident you might have a mental block in moving away from safety to a "riskier" weighting.

It's not a piece of cake - I can pretty much weight almost to 100% on my outside ski but I can't/won't ski 1 ski turns due to the fear of ripping my knee apart in a 1 foot pivot fall so fear is a real inhibitor.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 24-07-13 22:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum wrote:
Do all learners hang onto the mountain with the inside ski to begin with?
Lots of people drop their inside shoulder/bank in to the turn, especially when the anxiety levels increase, resulting in being more balanced on the inside ski than they need to be. I'm very keen to address that with the people I'm teaching before working on other aspects of their skiing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's great Megamum. I can't believe the importance of the outside ski hasn't been explained to you. No wonder you feel frustrated (or at least, that's what i sense in your posts)....it's a HUGE light bulb (with choral music playing in the background) that's just switched on Little Angel
As mentioned before...you really should spend the time and money for real life, practical instruction. Trust me, it's the best bit of advice I can give you; otherwise, you'll waste many years of poor skiing (just like I did). Anyway, I predict rapid improvements and you're going to start flying around the mountain...so get a headcam ASAP and start filming!!

Wait til you start getting back on your inside ski for some SERIOUS performance Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ALQ, Well I think it has, but no matter how much explanation I've had, I think to get me off of the inside ski I had to realise why I was on it in the first place. I know that sounds daft, but I'm quite certain of that.

It certainly felt odd the first time I tried what Rob said and literally stood on it. I really needed to think about how to get it around the bend. It just hadn't been in the equation previously. I could ski on it, even turn on it during a one legged drill, but the moment I got two skis back I was gripping the mountain with the inside ski again and didn't know why. Instructors, please note that this could be a mental block with other learners that it might help to articulate for them.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 24-07-13 23:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
Megamum wrote:
Do all learners hang onto the mountain with the inside ski to begin with?
Lots of people drop their inside shoulder/bank in to the turn, especially when the anxiety levels increase, resulting in being more balanced on the inside ski than they need to be. I'm very keen to address that with the people I'm teaching before working on other aspects of their skiing.

I still do this sometimes when it gets steep and icy, with "interesting" consequences. So Megamum, you're not alone. What really helped me were double pole plant drills.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Imagine not, just do. A better skier will you be.

[/Yoda]

Laughing snowHead Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy