Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New gopro (not a rumour) but a new rumour...page 3

Poster: A snowHead
apologies for the spelling and grammar post dne on the go,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Anyone know if the old Black fits in the new case?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yep, same size.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and, i believe the new bigger (as in capacity) battery (edit) also fits the existing camera, but you wont get all the benefit as the new hardware has reduced power consumption.

But this hasnt actually been formally confirmed or tested (the battery bit)

The camera is definitely interchangable between the 3 housings and vice versa.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 1-10-13 20:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sweet, cheap Black here I come! The batteries being interchangeable would just be gravy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ansta1 wrote:
as for the cards these guys know their stuff and here are the cards that really work in the hero3 black and will give you the full bit rate that the camera can achieve. The majority of issues with the black are down to the class 10 cards (mainly the sandisk officially pimped by gopro at release) not beng able to keep up with the consistent data rates when writing to the card causing it to lock up.

http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/GoPro-Hero-3-Memory-Cards

some other quick tips....

Thanks for that, v. helpful.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, you can find the same cards cheaper, but these folks wont mess around and wont sell you cheap copies. If you do buy intend to buy, sign up for their newsletter first, it gets you 10% discount from them.

and for the record I have no link with them in any way other than other peoples recommendation, of whom i trust.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am being told that the new HD3B+ with the Sandisk cards is still firmware limited to a max of 35mbps bit rate, the older sandisk micro sdhc when pushed occasionally dropped to less than 8mbps. The newer micro SDHC cards from sandisk are reportedly better but obviously gopro aren't taking any chances. Not an issue for most people use.

For info here are the default bit rates in the popular recording modes for the HD3B (without protune turned on), I don't have them for the + as of yet.

4K-15 : @ 45 Mbps
4K-cin-12 : @ 45 Mbps
2.7k cin-24: @ 45Mbps
2.7k-30: @ 45 Mbps
1080-60: @ 30 Mbps
1080-48: @ 30Mbps
1080-30: @ 20 Mbps
1080-24: @ 30 Mbps
1440-48: @ 30 Mbps
1440-30: @ 20 Mbps
1440-24: @ 30 Mbps
960-100: @ 30 Mbps
960-48: @ 30 Mbps
720-120: @ 30 Mbps
720-60: @ 20 Mbp
swvga-240: @ 30 Mbps
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can get the HD3B+ for £324 if anyone is interested.... Genuine UK supplier all above board.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
for those that have nothing better to do, the man himself with his thoughts...... http://abekislevitz.com/whats-new-with-hero3plus/
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ansta1, Once/If the BASI Pro deal get's announced I'll be deciding where to buy from!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
again, for anyone who will be at the ios tignes pre season warm up from the 7th to 10th of Nov, i will bring along some gopros for people to play with if they have the time and inclination.

i will bring at least 1 of each of the hd1,hd2,hd3 black and hd3 black+

if luggage limits allow i may bring more than one of each.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting discussion about the SD cards. I used the Sandisk Ultra (not extreme) in the HD3 black, but mainly used 720-60. Never had any problems with lockups/freezees etc., but I suppose the 20Mbps rate explains that.

GoPro used to list that card as ok, but now they list the Sandisk extreme equivalent, so take care if you're ordering! The extreme is generally about twice as expensive as the ultra Sad

With a 3+ black on the way, I found Amazon are offering the 32GB Delkin @ £27.99, so I back-ordered one to try. I'll certainly keep the Sandisk Ultra's I have as spares for lower bit rates.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pauly69 wrote:
Interesting discussion about the SD cards. I used the Sandisk Ultra (not extreme) in the HD3 black, but mainly used 720-60. Never had any problems with lockups/freezees etc., but I suppose the 20Mbps rate explains that.

GoPro used to list that card as ok, but now they list the Sandisk extreme equivalent, so take care if you're ordering! The extreme is generally about twice as expensive as the ultra Sad

With a 3+ black on the way, I found Amazon are offering the 32GB Delkin @ £27.99, so I back-ordered one to try. I'll certainly keep the Sandisk Ultra's I have as spares for lower bit rates.

I have used the Sandisk Ultra and Extreme cards and have only experienced a few issues but when they do they can be a pain in terms of either simply losing footage or having on one occasion to undertake a 'cold boot' of the camera.

I have lots of documented tests with a whole host of different cards and the main problem with is not their max write speed but when you push these cards hard they occasion drop, albeit for a second or 2, to well below 10mbps. This almost always causes the camera to stop recording. I now almost always use the 32gb Delkin cards, they are in stock in a few places in the UK for about £33.

I have had it confirmed that although they now recommend the Sandisk Cards again they are still firmware limited to a max of 35mbps, fine for most peoples use in my view.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nothing concrete or specific, but my man in the know says gopro have something in the pipeline for around christmas, he cant give me (or wont) as of yet any clear steer if its a new camera, some new additonal add on or something else.

sorry if this is a no news, news item but heard so many people moaning "i just bought a hd3b last week and now there is the new version"

all usual internet warnings apply...
ski holidays
oh no, I just sold a hd3b and bought a hd3b+, is that worse wink
..and I still need to upgrade my iphone/ipad/ipad mini/ps3/xbox360/dslr/car/house/wife/life, all before christmas - what on Earth am I gonna do? Blush
snow report
pauly69 wrote:
oh no, I just sold a hd3b and bought a hd3b+, is that worse wink
..and I still need to upgrade my iphone/ipad/ipad mini/ps3/xbox360/dslr/car/house/wife/life, all before christmas - what on Earth am I gonna do? Blush

well i also have a couple or more due to arrive tomorrow.. I wouldnt worry too much.......just yet.... Though i do gather scrapping the wife uograde is a good option in most cases.
snow conditions
Hey Ansta, thanks for the recommendation. I don't know if I can promote anything here without speaking to admin first, so I'll go off and do that before I do anything else.

Thanks again.

Paul
snow conditions
Hobby Mounts, welcome to snowHead
snow report
Well that was painless lol. Spoke with Graham who kindly agreed that we could sponsor the forum and offer some help, advice and promotions on our stuff Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Hobby Mounts, welcome aboard, be interested in what you have to offer, both products and advice Very Happy
ski holidays
Hobby Mounts, hey I offer all the advice around these parts.... Get orrrf my laaaannnnd...... (only joking) welcome.. Now about those discounts!!!!

You do know snowheads run an annual competition in the autumn, admin is always after potential prizes.... Happy
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
admin is always after potential prizes.... Happy

like your thinking - fingers crossed black plus rolling eyes Very Happy
snow report
I can vouch for Hobby Mounts as a source of GoPro 3+; I popped round and picked mine up this afternoon, once I realised it was just round the corner from me, which was quite a surprise given I'm currently living in the middle of nowhere in rural Cornwall.

Now I just have to wait 2 months for something interesting to film.. Laughing
ski holidays
Thanks Tom. It is indeed a small world Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy