Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New gopro (not a rumour) but a new rumour...page 3

Poster: A snowHead
ansta1 wrote:
threat of death..

lol..think i would be more Sony biased if that was the case.. Laughing

thanks for the update
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
latest gossip. its going to be called the Hero3 plus and will be released in October, expect a product better than the hero 3 black but slightly more cost wise (not sure if that is now or before the discounted rates currently out there).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1, my wallet is standing by for the normal Black edition.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nice price, but all gone. may be worth keeping a look see http://www.quiksilver.com/gopro-hero-3-black-edition/qukuschdhx301#selectedColor=AST&selectedSize=UNU
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ansta1, link doesn't work on my phone, what price did they have them at?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ansta1, link doesn't work on my phone, what price did they have them at?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, $280 but sold out
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh wrote:
Awesomely useless... humans can't perceive the pixels on an average 1080p screen at normal viewing distances..

No, it's not useless.

There's no direct connection between the resolution you capture and the resolution of the device you're playing back on. You don't just turn the camera on and then stream the output to Vimeo! No one is going to use footage without post processing it, even if it's only stitching clips together and dealing with the sensor mosaic. Cropping in post is basic and extremely common, and any form of stabilization in post is likely to involve some crop. Although there is some subtlety to it, in general more pixels are better.

POV cameras are different from camcorders. For family videos like that one included then they're probably a better choice than a POV camera as they're much more flexible. You may also want to consider the Blackmagic and more serious cameras, which will give you significantly better results, with shallow depth of field and Protune-type "raw" capability. For stabilization you really need some sort of external stabilization device - the Glidecam produces stunning results for example and is relatively simple.

Marketing-wise, it seems to me that GoPro is in the game of persuading you that what you have isn't as good as the new model. So they don't necessarily need to charge you more for the next machine, they just need to make you want to switch to it. Most GoPro footage is seen in tiny displays on Vimeo or mobile phones, so although 4K's not useless, in my view practical 4K isn't likely to be enough to make me dump a 3b for a 4. But it may make some people switch from the 2 to the 4... They could easily improve the form factor. Dropping the price doesn't drive repeat sales from existing customers.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
good points philwig, and remember for those that have been blinded by the marketing folks 4k is not 4 times 1080p... far from it in fact.

1080p - the 1080 comes from the vertical number of pixels but in 4k its measured in the horizontal plane

1080p - 1920 * 1080
4k (as in 4k television or video recording as we know it) - 3840 * 2160

So Your 4k TV is actually only twice the (edit) vertical (edit) resolution.

See what they did there the sneeky bu66ers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig wrote:
meh wrote:
Awesomely useless... humans can't perceive the pixels on an average 1080p screen at normal viewing distances..

No, it's not useless.

There's no direct connection between the resolution you capture and the resolution of the device you're playing back on. You don't just turn the camera on and then stream the output to Vimeo! No one is going to use footage without post processing it, even if it's only stitching clips together and dealing with the sensor mosaic. Cropping in post is basic and extremely common, and any form of stabilization in post is likely to involve some crop. Although there is some subtlety to it, in general more pixels are better.

POV cameras are different from camcorders. For family videos like that one included then they're probably a better choice than a POV camera as they're much more flexible. You may also want to consider the Blackmagic and more serious cameras, which will give you significantly better results, with shallow depth of field and Protune-type "raw" capability. For stabilization you really need some sort of external stabilization device - the Glidecam produces stunning results for example and is relatively simple.

Marketing-wise, it seems to me that GoPro is in the game of persuading you that what you have isn't as good as the new model. So they don't necessarily need to charge you more for the next machine, they just need to make you want to switch to it. Most GoPro footage is seen in tiny displays on Vimeo or mobile phones, so although 4K's not useless, in my view practical 4K isn't likely to be enough to make me dump a 3b for a 4. But it may make some people switch from the 2 to the 4... They could easily improve the form factor. Dropping the price doesn't drive repeat sales from existing customers.

Nice rant philwig, only I was calling 4K TVs awesomely useless not 4K video. I'm well aware why you might want to shoot at a higher resolution than your media will be delivered in. NehNeh
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Groupon offer

GoPro Hero 3 Camera Black Edition With Wi-Fi Remote for £265

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/photo-direct/26971116?p=3&nlp&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_263&a=1664&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&sid=8c1bf2ae-5353-423a-b16b-d3e632a30cd7&division=national-deal&uh=24f59dd5-b79e-4948-a34a-52fa8d83d72d&date=20132009&sender=rm&s=body&c=deal_title&d=deal-page&utm_campaign=photo-direct-26971116
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, a good offer, but just to clarify the black comes with the remote as part of the package. still a good price though.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seen a few people (Ted Ligety, Daron Rahlves) with a new GoPro over the last few weeks, didn't get a chance to talk with them about it, but the housing looks completely different from how it used to, basically looked the same size as the 3 without the housing. Might just be a new mount, but possibly the GoPro 4.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jimmer, could certainly be possible, but also could just be the blurfix adaptor as they are now widely used and even used by gopro. I am being told 1st of october is the date it will be announced.

blurfix here :- http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/blurfix-gopro-lens
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
apparently printed in error in danish magazine.

blurb says better battery life and a few other things

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/lwxn.jpg/
snow conditions
ansta1, sounds promising if they can delivery better battery life Smile

On a train who internet has blocked that jpg though!!!
snow report
another online retailer inadvertently published a release, page has since been taken down but the headline specs were :-

20% smaller and lighter housing (waterproof to 131’/40m) (it's thinner and lighter so not as strong hence the 40m as opposed to the 60m of the current housing)
SuperView video mode captures the world’s most immersive wide angle perspective (Your guess is as good as mine but could be a preset 4:3 stretched to 16:9)
Auto Low Light intelligently adjusts frame rate for stunning low light performance (again going to be preset (aka green mode) which forces the camera to use a slower shutter speed for low light shots)
33% improved image sharpness and reduced distortion (see new lens)
Faster built-in Wi-Fi for enhanced connectivity to the Wi-Fi Remote (included) and GoPro App (might actually be able to live view or stream properely and file transfer times would be better)
25% longer battery life (good move, but will wait to see how they have achieved it)
Upgraded audio performance (mostly due to the thinner housing I would suspect plus some better audio algorithms).

Date is still said to be tomorrow, no details on prices yet.
ski holidays
ansta1, cheers, all sounds very promising esp if they can keep it close to the current pricing....
latest report
ansta1, thanks, that all sounds good. Might be tempted to upgrade from my 2 to the new 3+
snow conditions
kitenski, word is it will be there or thereabouts, given the specs update (if it's accurate).

rob@rar, If I've got someof them by Nov, you are welcome to play with the 3 and 3+ in Tignes if you like and have time.
snow report
ansta1, I'll be in Tignes as well, so if you've got them by then that would be fantastic!
snow conditions
ansta1, for the 'normal' user of a cam like this and probably used 3 weeks a year plus bikes and occasional diving will i see any difference or easier to use by having the new cam or is the existing black likely to tick all the box's? very subjective i know but i can probably pick up a black for circa 200 and not sure if another 170ish will give me 'justified' feeling.

when are they likely to be available to purchase?

thanks
snow report
MogulMonkey, There are a couple of things to consider I guess.

For most users the black has more than enough quality and options and whilst the potentially slightly smaller and lighter form factor may be a selling factore some, I would guess this will have limited selling appeal. The option of 'green options' Pre-defined settings, low light and super wide, may be a point that some want to take advantage of but these don't provide huge benefits for anyone who uses them regularly and understands the existing options well.

What may be a big advantage is the underlying hardware/software and the enhanced wifi. There are existing users who have had quite a few hardware and software issues with the HD3B and as a result over the past 12 months Gopro have been bringing in tighter controls over their software and hardware development with much more of it now in house. If this provides a more stable platform then for me at least it would be worth the upgrade (though personally I have had few real issues with the existing setup thus far).

Enhanced wifi will be a bonus if it's true. The existing connection is very slow, live preview delay is about 3-5 seconds and downloading video off the camera over wifi is almost pointless as of right now. If they have improved this significantly again this will be a big selling point for some, me included.

And as for availability, your guess is as good as mine but I would expect any early stock to fly off the shelves. So If you want soon one order quickly as I would expect the second wave to be in stock for christmas orders to be fulfilled.
ski holidays
some gossip on reddit...

http://www.reddit.com/r/gopro/comments/1nebmy/gopro_hero3_improvements_leaked/
snow report
That's a great link and some interesting screen shots folk captured..

So if I read that, silver+ becomes equivalent in power to the current Black, but smaller, lighter with better battery life??
ski holidays
kitenski, that's the way I read it also so if we go back a bit.

HD1 = HD2 white in new form factor with built in wifi (and a few other bits)
HD2 - HD2 silver in new form factor with built in wifi (and few other bits)
HD3 Black

which is now

HD3 Silver+ = HD3 Black
HD3 Black + = better stuff.

I think there is more specs not being shouted out about the HD3B+ The interesting thing is, is this just an update and realignment of the 3 range (to get rid of HD2 comparison) or are they using this to test out some of the other hardware/software elements of the HD4 which is still being reported in places.
snow conditions
there you go http://gopro.com/
latest report
and a quick review http://gizmodo.com/gopro-hero-3-hands-on-a-nice-bump-but-not-a-jump-1431861328
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And now the official release video http://t.co/VpiIN5OCoI
ski holidays
sounds good, better battery, faster wifi, better lens....

And for the Silver+ they say
Quote:
The Silver edition won't have the new lens, SuperView, Auto Low Light, or things like 4K @ 15fps or 2.7K @ 30FPS. It will, however, have the new and improved battery, and it can now shoot 1080p @ 60FPS and 720p @ 120FPS.
ski holidays
I would be going to a bricks and mortar retailer and asking for big discounts if you don't need the additional stuff with the plus model as it's officially no longer sold by gopro.
latest report
Sorry its not a rumour - its a fact.
Just purchased my 3+black, only problem is i cant get it until i collect from my daughter in the states which will be in 16 days time. Also purchased a wrist housing so will be using that in 21 days time in hawaii Laughing

saved nearly £100 by purchasing in USA from UK prices.
ski holidays
I will update the thread title shortly. Wrist mount is on my view next to useless. It does have some options but has some issues. Also waiting to find out official bit rates of the new camera (even though I have 2 on the way). Following the SanDisk issues the latest firmware ensured that any SanDisk cards were limited to 35mbit/s whereas I'd you used certain other cards you could get the full 45 or so. Following that gopro robed SanDisk from their officially supported micro sdhc card list but as of today with the plus they are back on the approved list.
latest report
ansta1, wrist strap is for diving,( seems to be a safe option for the cam being secured underwater and can be directed at whaty i want to film when required) probably will never get used when skiing.

be interested to see your view on cards to use.
ski holidays
MogulMonkey wrote:
be interested to see your view on cards to use
+1 (for the 3 Black if that makes a difference).

I've used the wrist housing for swimming and riding rollercoasters. Worked well for that, but can't imagine using it for skiing.
snow report
rob@rar, so your the Rob that just bought that 2nd hand black then Wink
snow conditions
kitenski, wink
ski holidays
I was wondering with the wrist mount, if you had it pointing back at your face, for deep powder shots, would that work???
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
I was wondering with the wrist mount, if you had it pointing back at your face, for deep powder shots, would that work???
Stick on on the end of your ski pole for a wider angle, or stick it on the front of your helmet and point it at your face for a closer shot. Both are better options than the wrist mount IMO.
snow report
The wrist mount works in (in my view) a very limited set of situations. The problem with it is that it basically flaps about, there are some elastic band mods which help but basically the wrist needs to be pretty static for it to work well and wouldnt in my experience work in most skiing or boarding situations.

as for the cards these guys know their stuff and here are the cards that really work in the hero3 black and will give you the full bit rate that the camera can achieve. The majority of issues with the black are down to the class 10 cards (mainly the sandisk officially pimped by gopro at release) not beng able to keep up with the consistent data rates when writing to the card causing it to lock up.

http://www.hobbymounts.co.uk/shop/GoPro-Hero-3-Memory-Cards

some other quick tips.

never connect the camera directly to a pc or laptop always take the card out and use a reader.
charge the batteries and camera off of a decent usb charger (external) wasabi do good battery chargers and batteries.
format the card before putting in camera and then do a delete all in the camera to setup the file structure the way gopro firmware wants it to be setup.
firmware updates can be troublesome (apart from 1) mine have all worked and i have lots of gopros, but the safest and most consistent way is to put the follow the instructions for a card to camera update. That is download fimrware copy to card and update firmware from card to camera and not via usb link from laptop (see point 1) and also be patient the hd3 firmware can take a while (sometimes over 5 minutes) so give it time and dont be quick to panic.
There are tips and tricks to getting out of problems, before panicking and bricking the camera stop and ask.

update the laptop or pc as the 3 is pretty hungry in terms of processing.
unless yu know what uou are doing with editing and colour balance dont use protune, it will make the images look flat and soft out of the camera as they are designed to be processed (imaging a raw image in dslr terms)

happy to help out with issues,

Andy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy